Poll: Favorite finish color

Options
newsman
newsman Posts: 198
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Was wondering that if you had a second chance and could buy your Polk speaker setup all over again. What wood veneer color would you choose? I have black TR800i towers, love them - but thinkin' maybe Rosewood would've made them look more ...em impressive. But in the end they still look nice especially when polished, and as one member said they look like black monoliths from Odyssey 2001 :)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2001
    Options
    my sda 2b's are in light oak and those seem to go with anything

scott:cool:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited October 2001
    Options
    i like the black, it is simple, but it is clean and blends perfectly with my HT- from the rest of the components to the couches.
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I wish my Monitor 12's had the walnut veneer rather than the rosewood vinyl, which is now somewhat tatty on the corners and edges.

If I could have any veneer I like, I'd love them in rosewood, so they'd match the early 1960s vintage rosewood veneer coffee table and end tables in my living room.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Cherry finish is my favorite on the RTs and the power tower speakers. Cool...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I'll re-buy my BLACK ones.

All those other colors are for girls;)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hi:

I like the black.

Gary
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2001
    Options
    What's that old saying....
    Once you have had black, you don't go back.

Anyway, I've had oak & black and prefer black.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Crimony. There is NOTHING that we can't make offensive, is there? You guys crack me up, as the maitenance crew says.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • joelll
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P

All those other colors are for girls;)

Yow! Does this mean I'll get more dates with women if I start telling them I have a big ol' pair of Polk loudspeakers in my livingroom clad in beautiful reddish woodgrain-patterned vinyl? Excellent!
    :D
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by joelll

Yow! Does this mean I'll get more dates with women if I start telling them I have a big ol' pair of Polk loudspeakers in my livingroom clad in beautiful reddish woodgrain-patterned vinyl? Excellent!
    :D

Yo...I think you just broke the code:D
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited October 2001
    Options
    this is my own preference....i have my mains (rt800i) in cherry and my rears (rt35i) in black.:p
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited October 2001
    Options
    speaker7....doe that match your room/furniture or something? just seems odd to have two different colors. not bashing on your preference, just curious.
  • crystal-clear
    crystal-clear Posts: 19
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I have light Golden Oak SDA SRS 2.3's...... They are nice, but a true natural finish with different types of wood, like oak, maple, walnut, birtch, mahogany, and so on.... instead of a choice of colars to stain the wood, make the choice the type of wood. Maybe even different styles of plastic laminate for those who don't like or want a wood finish. Speakers are furniture, so why not make the choices very wide like they are with all other furniture and cabinets.

I prefer the oak finish more than the black, but then again, that is probally because I am a cabinet and furniture maker myself.

Just a few thoughts..

Crystal-clear:rolleyes:
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Joel I have M12s and other M serries speakers too, awsome speakers aren't they. Do you have the series 2s? If you do they can handel more then their quoted wattage, I am pushing almost 500 watts into mine before distortion sets in. I'm quessing at 500 by were the volume knob is and the amount the amp puts out. I have an Adcom GFA-555 bridged going to each one. I know what you mean about the vinly. My friend and brother in law who are both cabinet makers refinished them in real oak for the price of the wood. You might want to check out some local cabinet shops, it might cost less then you think.
    I still prefer the oak wether it be vinly or real.
    Chris
    PS-As far as "once you go black you never come back" I'm like 7-UP with that one "never had it never will" kinda like Micah and a date. Maybe we can give Micah a nicname of 7-UP. LOL
    Chris :)
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited November 2001
    Options
    If anyone online had 55i in maple I'd get those but they are non existant now.

Anyone know a way to get them, not in California, and have them maild to CA?
  • joelll
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by CHRIS
    Joel I have M12s and other M serries speakers too, awsome speakers aren't they. Do you have the series 2s? If you do they can handel more then their quoted wattage, I am pushing almost 500 watts into mine before distortion sets in. I'm quessing at 500 by were the volume knob is and the amount the amp puts out. I have an Adcom GFA-555 bridged going to each one. I know what you mean about the vinly. My friend and brother in law who are both cabinet makers refinished them in real oak for the price of the wood. You might want to check out some local cabinet shops, it might cost less then you think.
    I still prefer the oak wether it be vinly or real.

My Monitor 12's are from the first series, and I don't really drive them hard (ahhh, apartment life...) -- right now they're in my living room, powered by an 80-wpc Sansui Eight receiver. The original M12's and 12B's (also called RTA12) are a truly great speaker, IMHO. I've never listened to the M12 Series 2's.

Hmmm, I never thought about getting the cabinets veneered. I fear it would be expensive, and perhaps a bit difficult with the plug and mounting for the tweeter and its crossover on the top of the cabinet.

Awesome speakers, definitely worth my $250 spent on them.

joel
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Joel
    I had a friend back in NJ who had pair of original M12s. I thought they sounded great,its what got me looking at the monitors. There was only the series 2 when I bought mine. They have the 4-6½s, SL2500, and a 12" passive. I think the SL2500s are a very smooth sounding tweeter. I have the other models in the series 2 with exception ofthe M10s. Haven't found a Pair at the right time.
    I know what you mean about apt. life. When we first moved to Florida we lived in one. The lady upstairs was pregnent nuf said exspcially with a Velodyne ULD-18 in the system.
    Take care,
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • crystal-clear
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I was wondering what yalls opinion was on my idea for the different types of wood rather than the present choices. My post is up a few clicks in this thread. Thanks
  • eaadams
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Crystal,

I like your idea a whole lot! the only problem is that you need big volume to do what you propose and I dont know if polk is the 800lb gorilla I wish it was.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I personally like the cherry and walnut.
    but i would really like to see is some piano black finsih to match Pioneer Elite Tv's.That would be killer.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited November 2001
    Options
    :):D:):D:):D:):D:)

i will have to say that i like my black finish, they look slim and mysterious and seem to disapear especially in the dark when your watching movies no light reflects off them for distraction
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • crystal-clear
    edited November 2001
    Options
    What do you mean by 800 pound Gorilla and lots of volume?
    :confused:
  • newsman
    newsman Posts: 198
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I was wondering about same thing :rolleyes:
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Black, as it matches the electronics.
    Also I don't think you can get surrounds in any other color, so it looks more connected if the mains are black.
    Also in the case of a nick or scratch, muuuch easier to repair.
    :cool:

-luc
  • eaadams
    edited November 2001
    Options
    800lb because to have that large a selection of woods, veneers and finish polk would need to be some kind of microsoft. (ie HUGE ... IBM Huge ... GM Huge) I mean can you immagine polk having real maple, cherry, and other woods on hand to make speakers out of. I mean doesn't a wood have a huge effect on the sound of a speaker and if they started using different woods wouldn't evey speaker have to be retuned if not redesigned.

It was not ment as a cut rather as a statement that I like polk the way it is, nimble.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I thought this post had been beaten to death, but here goes.....

I do believe the European models are REAL wood.....

Chew on that one....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mario frenza
    mario frenza Posts: 5
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I often asked myself, should I have gotten a different veneer.
    But when I brought my my babies home (rt800i) I knew I
    made the the right color choice. Plus they match with the rest of my system and all my furniture................

MLF