Cooling fan

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Gents,
My new power amp produces lots of heat. I am still debating of increasing the distance between shelves above it, or install a small low noise fan. Any suggestions/recommendations of the quietest fan out there? Thanks all..
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2003
    Options
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Shack,
    thanks bud!, should have search around first.....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Computer case fans would work as well.

www.crazypc.com

www.geekdeal.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I ended up using a spare computer fan, 12v, 0.13A and a ac/dc converter. I wonder if the control in/out will run it directly from the pre/pro. It has 12v, 50mA TOTAL outputs, one already used for controlling the power amp. My guest is not since it won't have enough amp. Anybody tried this? thanks all...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    I would get a Elan cooling fan.It looks like a piece of gear,it is really.It sits ontop of your amp and sucks the heat out of it.
    Make sure you have good space between the top of the amp and the next shelf up.Putting the amp at the top shelf isn't a bad Idea for heat.........Or very bottom with goos space.No closer then 3 inches should be the next shlf up,if there's not at least this much room,your going to kill that amp........choking the hell out of it isn't good practice.
    Elan man Elan............
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'm not reqading anything about your new amp........no comments??????
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    That is what I am afraid of. Right now I have the space in the bottom shelf, but need to adjust the shelf spacing. I'll check out Elan, where do you get them?
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    btw Dan,
    do you know if B&K has an updated remote ir database? the one that I have is pretty old, otherwise I might have learn the manual learning function on this MX-700. Thanks..
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tweeter Bro.....ask for Elan Z fan.it's sweat and tempature controled.....I love them,they work so good.We put them on alot of jobs with power amps.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    I'm not reqading anything about your new amp........no comments??????

Just tested using LOTR, simply powerful! I am still working on the remote and getting ready to setup the second system. In due time, I will write a review. When it comes to HT, Ref50 has so much features, that is not even funny! Flexibility creates complexity, that's for sure!

I'll check with Tweeter tomorrow on Elan product..thanks for the tip!
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    You got it Bro.......Simply Better
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It's cake man,
    ask away when you need to and I'll help you every step of the way with the ref50......wait untill you dig into THX Ultra2........
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the link and the offer, Dan! still working on the presets, one thing that I noticed, setting up the REL as THX Ultra 2 is actually yields better low and more defined, even though I know the REL is not certified, so, needless to say, I have my whole weekend set aside to explore..
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Here are some links for those who are just reading:

Homepage:
    http://www.elanhomesystems.com/consumer_products/z_series/zfan2.asp

E-Tailer:
    http://www.lightav.com/home/elan/zseries.html

Sales Representatives:
    http://www.elanhomesystems.com/about_elan/contact_reps.asp

I just ran basic's, feel free to add your own style.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    if the IR database for the remote doesn't support something you own,then your going to have to check Remote central first,if not then just build the device into your IR library and away you go.I would at least check remote central for discrete codes.I don't know what your trying to control......All Pioneer codes are there,discrete codes all avalible for all Pioneer,I know you own,What are you missing???
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    Philips SACD and Yamaha deck, the two that wont pull in. I'll try remote central and see if they have them. Thanks
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I need to get a fan for my TV/Component stand as well, but that Elan model is both a) too expensive, and b) pointing the air in the wrong direction (I want to blow the air out of the back of the rack rather than straight up, baking the above shelving)

Computer fans appear to be the only route that I can go with. only problem is that I really don't want to have to rig it with a power cord and plug/unplug it every time that I turn the amp on..........what to do.............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Brett, good point, since I rather blow the air out to the front too..

Dan, I went to Tweeter and check the Elan-Z, it is nice. The fact that it heat sensitive and controlled by the trigger are the two major benefit. Also, I managed to increase the spacing to 4 inches opening above the amp, and had the small fan setup on all the time. The heat came down significantly, now it is just warm to the touch. Before I had only about 1 inch opening (I know it was bad. I am going to wait for about a week and see if excessive heat will still be an issue or not. I let the fan on all the time, since this setup lacks the auto on off. I am a bit puzzled on why B&K gears, at least on mine, do not provide a switched outlet.

Initial impressions of these combo is very positive. I am glad that I went with 125.7 instead of 200.7 Space and heat would otherwise create major headache. Besides, I already spent the cost saving of going with the little one on a HD SAT-200. Loving it, watching sport on HDNet is a whole new experience. Going back to the 125.7, it is a very capable amp, doesn't missed a heartbeat, compared to to the Rotel. In terms of power, 125.7 has a slight edge, drive my seven LSi's with ease.
    Reference 50 comment is one word, WHOA! besides the features that I am still boning up (it's like getting a new computer, between BKsuite and SR10.1 editor, I really felt this to be more of learning experience to use the software, along with understanding my room acoustics and getting the best out of it. I am enjoying it very much. On DVD-A and SACD audio, the experience is nothing short of breathtaking. On classical and jazz, I am so impressed. It felt like the surrounds and surrounds back speakers are enveloping me with music. A truly soothing experience listening to classical multi-channels. LSi7 for surrounds backit perfect! unobtrusive, yet, they are very capable in delivering details. Quick observation on the difference between the Rotel and these combo: channel separations and details are clearly the area of biggest improvement. Low is noticably increases at the same 0 db level, in fact, I had to lower the setting on the REL to compensate. Soundstage increases, but I think this is due to the addition of the LSi7. These are just quick impressions at this stage, since I am still tweaking the system. One last thing, they look gorgeous in silver, sitting next to the HDSAT and Philips SACD, they enhances the look of the overall gears. I'll post new pics on my system showcase tomorrow. Now, I am happy!
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    nice man nice.

B&K doesn't offer switched outlets,it's not a reciever.There receivers don't offer switched outs.But they do however offer triggers and IR routing.Sweet.
    Learning about B&K's preamp is a long road.There's alto to it.I think I suggested it before but read the manual at least twice if not a 3rd time.
    The Z fan is really nice and very custom friendly.I plan on using an Elan Z fan in my rack if needed.
    Elan just came out with some really cool products......

The remote,no Phillips huh....They have the dvd player,just raw,and the Yamaha is in there not not by model....you can build your own IR database easy.

Sound quality of B&K vs Rotel is personal but I feel that B&K does a better job with detail.Midrange and lows.Highs I still feel Rotel has the edge.For me Kimber has changed that a bit.It's closer now......

Dude it's so fun to own B&K.Down the road when the new preamp comes out,you don't have to buy a new one.....how cool is that....upgrade ability allday.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hell, yeah! I will pay my dues of owning one of the more complex pre/pro available. My Rotel is very straight forward compare to this, there's setting for everything on this....One thing I have to say, both are solid products, and ....paired with LSi? Priceless!

Dan, how is the upgrade program works with B&K? turn in the old unit and get a new one?
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    what B&K does is take your old unit and rebuilt it like the new one.They put in the new DAC's and software.They also go over the entire unit to get it back to factory spec's.They make sure everything is tip top.Then give you a 1 year warranty .......so sweet.
    Dan