Internal Speaker Wires

Options
ezc
ezc Posts: 426
Has anyone replaced the speaker wire from the cross over to the speakers with better wire, or better termination to the speaker? I have a set of LSi speakers & my LSiC crossover wasnt working, Polk sent a replacement one that we installed. I figured the internal wires would be some exotic heavy gauge wire soldered to the speakers & crossover. The wires in my LSiC looks like standard monster cable speaker wire and are soldered to the crossover, the speaker end is crimped on & pushed on to the speaker ( male female type of connection, like a car speaker). With all the high priced speaker cable & all the hi tech ends for better connections, wouldnt it make sense to have a high preformance termination right at the speaker, or at least soldered directly to the speaker terminals? Im not sure if it would make a difference, has anyone tried replacing the wire or better terminations?
Post edited by ezc on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ezc,
    that is a very good point! but I think the rationale would be the short length of the cable to make any noticable difference....I think
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I know of one person here who upgraded the wires inside his SDA's and reported no change. It is a very short run, but if you do upgrade your wires, please give us a review.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ditto F1, but sounds like upgrading the termination could yield more than a wire change.

Any warranty voiding issues to consider?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Yeah, it seems that upgrading everything up to and including the crossover yields benefit. I haven't a clue about warranty issues, but that's a good point and you're right, it should be checked first.

BTW, looks like you got the bugs out, good to see ya back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I don't see the need here.It's internal and short.Emi and RF is 2 reasons you buy better wire from the amp to the speaker.I'm sure polk used what they felt is the right internal wire for MAX performance and value.The crossover is designed to work with the drivers,tweeter and the design of the cabnet.....You feel you can do better then polk????Go right ahead.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Steve gave me a peek of his LSiC network and cable. It actually appeared to be some of the BETTER internal wiring that I've seen.

I was impressed, to say the least. The wire did have a name on it, I can't remember what it was though. Anyone?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Speakerking???I forget as well.I looked inside when I bought them.........
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    That doesn't ring a bell, could be though. It was a nice guage though, much thicker than you usually see.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It was something King from what I remember.Yes it looks like older 12 gauge Monster wire.Clear jacket.....Hell I'll crack it open tonight when I get home.........
    Dan