An amp is an amp is an amp?

rickfaldo
rickfaldo Posts: 49
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Further to the "Interesting Amplifier Article" which was and still is a hot topic, how do you think "entry level" or should I say, big bang for your buck amps compare to each other?

Examples: Rotel, Parasound, Adcom, Outlaw and the new Integra separates to name a few. Of course, I am comparing equal power ratings. To narrow it down, these amps would be driving 5 LSi speakers. Next, how would these amps match with a receiver being used as a pre, particularly an Integra 7.1? I know Mantis will roast me again but I do own this receiver and unless someone jumps out of my soup and buys it from me, I will have to make do until I can find a buyer. The idea of having an extra nice receiver just laying around the house rubs me the wrong way....child of a depression parent syndrome.

Is there a clear amp winner in this price range or is an amp an amp?

thanks

Rick

p.s. what is a good classified site to market HT equipment?
Post edited by rickfaldo on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Within this range all receivers should be very capable and have an abundance of features. Each one may have a different sound, but what sounds best depends on your speakers, your room, your ears, and your preference. There is no clear winner. If there was, we'd all buy it. This would drive up the price, which would make it less attainable to most, but more appealing to some.

If you're deadset on selling, check out Audiogon or E-bay.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Take a hard look at the Outlaw 770
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    Whichever one has the highest damping factor should sound the best. I read in the absolute sound review where they state you need an amplifier with high damping factor (or a tube amp with a lot of power).
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited April 2003
    rickfaldo: how much you looking for the amp?
  • rickfaldo
    rickfaldo Posts: 49
    edited April 2003
    dkew328:

PM me and we can discuss it.

This "an amp is an amp" subject is a pretty hot issue right now on all the AV forums I read. Some pretty interesting reading if you like that stuff.

Rick
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited April 2003
    Rick: It won't let me send a PM
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2003
    rickfaldo,
    Further to the "Interesting Amplifier Article" which was and still is a hot topic, how do you think "entry level" or should I say, big bang for your buck amps compare to each other?
    They all have there plus and minus about them.You have to deside what is your needs and go with what sadisfies.
    General????Yes it is.
    Examples: Rotel, Parasound, Adcom, Outlaw and the new Integra separates to name a few. Of course, I am comparing equal power ratings. To narrow it down, these amps would be driving 5 LSi speakers. Next, how would these amps match with a receiver being used as a pre, particularly an Integra 7.1? I know Mantis will roast me again but I do own this receiver and unless someone jumps out of my soup and buys it from me, I will have to make do until I can find a buyer. The idea of having an extra nice receiver just laying around the house rubs me the wrong way....child of a depression parent syndrome.
    I'm not going to flame you,It's a good receiver,not good for LSI,you kinda defeat the purpose.Using it as a preamp is your bussiness.Use it as a pre amp untill you sell it,nothing wrong with that.It will transfer it's high pitched sound quality into your new amp or whatever you pick.Untill you get the matching preamp,Max performance will have to wait.......
    Is there a clear amp winner in this price range or is an amp an amp?
    NO.And NO.An Amp isn't just an amp.Straight ........thats full of crap.Amps sound different.If you can't hear a difference between different amps,then YES an amp is a amp and buy the cheapest amp you can find.......buying a higher quality amp isn't going to sound a damn bit of different so why waste money where no performance gain is going to be had????If you can't hear it,you can't hear it,period...........

If Money is a problem,I would seriously look into Rotel receivers.The rsx1055 and the mighty rsx1065.These receivers will give you damn near seperate sound quality.They are fantastic receivers.For the money NO ONE and I Mean NO ONE can beat them for sound quality........again for the money.Lsi ready.
    There are many roads to travel when going after LSI.Sound quality Improvements are what your after if you want LSI.So gear is in need of Improving or your efforts are wasted.
    Get that Integra on E bay,Audiogon,in the fleamarket and get it out if thats your goal.....it's a fantastic receiver and someone with RT series speakers could very well benefit from it.......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.