Polk R15 vs. T15 vs. M10 for 2 channel listening?

2»

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2009
    And use the Definitives as stands? That seems like a waste of $1199 speakers IMO.

Wait, I thought you had a separate 2 channel rig in one room and an HT rig in another. The def techs being in your HT room/rig and the R15's being in another.

If you were going to add or get different surrounds for your HT rig, I implied you should match them up with another pair of def techs.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2009
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    Wait, I thought you had a separate 2 channel rig in one room and an HT rig in another. The def techs being in your HT room/rig and the R15's being in another.

If you were going to add or get different surrounds for your HT rig, I implied you should match them up with another pair of def techs.

The 2 channel rig is the one with the DefTechs, 100" screen and Epson 1080p Projector.

The HT rig is the one with the Sony TV, bookshelves, and mirror wall.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • kawizx9r
    edited December 2009
    The 2 channel rig is the one with the DefTechs, 100" screen and Epson 1080p Projector.

The HT rig is the one with the Sony TV, bookshelves, and mirror wall.

Got it lol

Kind of confusing since you have a huge screen paired with the 2 chan rig :p

I would've considered that the HT rig.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Got it lol

Kind of confusing since you have a huge screen paired with the 2 chan rig :p

I would've considered that the HT rig.

Who says you can't have a huge screen paired with a 2 channel rig? It works well for Wii parties :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• kawizx9r
    edited December 2009
    Who says you can't have a huge screen paired with a 2 channel rig? It works well for Wii parties :)

Don't get me started, multi-player Wii is fun as hell!

The audio isn't up to par though with the PS3 I had, been using the Hitmaster for Guitar Hero.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Don't get me started, multi-player Wii is fun as hell!

Especially on a 100" screen :D
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2009
    Just in case if you haven't seen THIS thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93312

I already have DefTech towers in my 2 channel system. I'm looking to try these out, ok?

Yeah. Uh, just saw the thread, and I'm confused more than ever now. Your HT has a mirrored wall with rear ported speakers right in front of it. Your 2 channel has tile floors, wood walls, and no acoustic tile in the ceiling. You have a 100 inch screen and def tech towers, but want r15's instead? Look man, I'm going to apologise now if I sound like an **** because I don't mean to, but I just don't get it. None of it. Little screen = HT? Big screen = 2 channel? I dunno man, looks like you have a nice house, and ok gear. You really have no idea how they really COULD sound tho, because those rooms are acoustic nightmares. If you put r15's in a room that wasn't acoustically horrible, you'd realize they suck. They didn't even cut it as computer speakers in my house.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    messiah wrote: »
    Yeah. Uh, just saw the thread, and I'm confused more than ever now. Your HT has a mirrored wall with rear ported speakers right in front of it. Your 2 channel has tile floors, wood walls, and no acoustic tile in the ceiling. You have a 100 inch screen and def tech towers, but want r15's instead? Look man, I'm going to apologise now if I sound like an **** because I don't mean to, but I just don't get it. None of it. Little screen = HT? Big screen = 2 channel? I dunno man, looks like you have a nice house, and ok gear. You really have no idea how they really COULD sound tho, because those rooms are acoustic nightmares. If you put r15's in a room that wasn't acoustically horrible, you'd realize they suck. They didn't even cut it as computer speakers in my house.

Ok. First things first, the HT has a mirrored wall (which was part of the house's architecture from the late 40's) but the speakers are far away from it. If the rear ported speakers were firing right at the wall, then they would sound horrible. That's why they are more than 12" away because they sound better.

The 2 channel has tile floors, but the big area rug was removed for the picture. It made the room look ugly so I put it back after taking the picture. If you've read the threads, you'll see that I'm not done with the basement and still have to put acoustic tile on the ceiling.

Why can't you have a projector + 2 channel system? HT = 5.1 system, 2 channel = stereo system. The projector is for the Xbox 360, Wii, and hopefully PS3 when I get it.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Why don't you give some suggestions instead of criticism?

I know the acoustic ceiling tiles need to go up, and the speakers are being moved further away from the wall.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• messiah
    edited January 2010
    Happy new year Serendipity! First, sorry if I'm coming off as critical. I don't work in PR, and just say what's on my mind. Anyway, glad to see that you have a rug in the 2 channel room, and are moving the speakers further away from the wall. Oh, and putting acoustic tiles in he ceiling. That should help. You said I didn't offer suggestions? What the hell have I offered OTHER than suggestions? If you can come up with answer to this question, please let me know.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    edited January 2010
    You already got the R15's, and the Golden Rule of get what you can and enjoy what you get certainly applies.

If you get a few extra bucks in the future, I'd suggest getting some Monitor 30's. I consider them Polk's "sleeper speakers": relatively cheap and heck of a bang for the buck.

They can be had for about $100 a pair:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0002ZSFTG

They do have a rear-firing port, but they stand off of the wall sufficient enough to function pretty well, especially as side or rear surrounds.

Won't go wrong with a set of Monitor 30's.
    Sal Palooza
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    I'd agree....if you like the R15s you will love the M30s...they are a sleeper speaker....for anyone who wants to set up a small 2 channel on the 'cheap' a set of these for 100 is an amazing price point...and the new TSI-100s are even a bit better.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2010
    OK. I think I am going to use the R15's in a dorm room setup. Keep the Definitives in the 2 channel system, and add a pair of Monitor 30's later. I also like the rear ported R150's.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• messiah
    edited January 2010
    OK. I think I am going to use the R15's in a dorm room setup. Keep the Definitives in the 2 channel system, and add a pair of Monitor 30's later. I also like the rear ported R150's.

Makes perfect sense. They will make great dorm room speakers. Check out the new Tsi line before you get the M30's or R150's though. I prefer them both acoustically, and cosmetically.

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    At $100, have you considered a used pair of Paradigm Atoms or even Titans?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2010
    At $100, have you considered a used pair of Paradigm Atoms or even Titans?

Nope, if I do they must be from a TRUSTED source.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Not sure anyone that asks a question for advice and then does anything but listen will listen to anything. They obviously had their mind made up and was just fishing to see if anyone would say ohh nice job you da man. Nope.