Polk R15 vs. T15 vs. M10 for 2 channel listening?

Options
Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited January 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi,

About to purchase my first pair of Polks - R15 bookshelves. Was wondering what are the differences between the R15 vs. T15 vs. M10 for 2 channel listening? Also see that Polk has the R150 model for sale. Is there any significant difference between these models?

Will be paired with a small sub, room is 12 X 20 with 8' ceiling. As far as placement goes, they will be out in the open on stands (not in a bookshelf or enclosure).

Thanks!
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Anyone??

These will be driven with 50w/ch and used for moderate (low) listening levels.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Anyone??

These will be driven with 50w/ch and used for moderate (low) listening levels.

Not sure.

All I can go on are the tech specs and based on that, you're selection and question is like asking what is the difference between a black Honda Accord, a grey Honda Accord, or the silver Honda Accord :D

The R150s aren't listed for wall mounting, but it sounds like that is not an issue for your configuration.

I would guess that any of the ones you're looking at would do a good job for the budget.

Just be careful of getting the upgrade bug! :D

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Not sure.

All I can go on are the tech specs and based on that, you're selection and question is like asking what is the difference between a black Honda Accord, a grey Honda Accord, or the silver Honda Accord :D

The R150s aren't listed for wall mounting, but it sounds like that is not an issue for your configuration.

I would guess that any of the ones you're looking at would do a good job for the budget.

Just be careful of getting the upgrade bug! :D

Thanks! I guess then R15=T15=M10, just the same speaker with only color differences.

The only thing I see is that the R150 doesn't have a port in the picture on the Polk Website.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The r150 is rear ported, that's also why they don't recommend wall mounting them.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Zeros wrote: »
    The r150 is rear ported, that's also why they don't recommend wall mounting them.

I guess it uses the same drivers then. I'll be sure to listen to the R15 vs. the R150's when I get a chance.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2009
    Options
    LSi9's?:confused:
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    LSi9's?:confused:

What, you want me to get LSi9's?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have a pair of T15's and I owned a pair of R150's for about two days. The only real difference is the port. The T15's were my first speaker that didn't come in a box with the receiver and they got me hooked on Polk sound. They have a suprisingly full sound with pretty decent mid bass. I powered them with a 50w HK receiver and never had a problem. With a sub they should do just fine. Be careful of that upgrade bug though, it happens to all of us . . .
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    domflane wrote: »
    They have a suprisingly full sound with pretty decent mid bass. I powered them with a 50w HK receiver and never had a problem. With a sub they should do just fine.

I've been looking at subs and the PSW10 seems like it would match fine. (I see you are using a PSW650)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I've been looking at subs and the PSW10 seems like it would match fine. (I see you are using a PSW650)

Careful though, the PSW10 does NOT have an LFE input.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Careful though, the PSW10 does NOT have an LFE input.

No problem. This is going to be a 2-channel system and the PSW10 has line-level input.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2009
    Options
    OMG, 4800 posts and this is your first pair of polks? This has got to be a first lol! No disrespect intended, just an observation :). That said, don't buy any of them. I had them a while ago. It was a set I bought off craigslist: 4 r15's, 1 cs245i, and a psw450 for 200 bucks. For 200, it was a pretty good deal, but I couldn't get past the lack of impact from those little speakers. They would be ok for a small bedroom I guess, or for a really small HT, but for 2 channel music I'd say hell no! They really kinda sucked for music, it made me want to use headphones instead :( .The PSW10 isn't that great either. I love polk, but you're looking at the bottom of the line. You'd do better getting a decent pair of polk towers from your local CL. Just a thought.

Oh
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    messiah wrote: »
    That said, don't buy any of them.

Why not? I did get a chance to hear the R150's at a local store and they sounded decent (although the setup wasn't ideal, it was a Yamaha receiver driving many pairs of speakers through a selector box). The R150's sounded good for the money.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• messiah
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Why not?

I don't think they sound good for music at all. They are ok as surrounds for HT, or as bedroom speakers so you dont have to listen to the crappy speakers that come with a tv, but that's about it imho. Ok, maybe garage speakers if you could get them used for 20 bucks. If they sound good to you, buy them. After all, it's not my ears that have to listen to them, and if they make YOU happy that's all that matters. I do know though that you can find speakers on craigslist for less money that will absolutely SMOKE these, and not need a sub to go with them.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thanks, I'm still going with the R15's though!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    After all, it's not my ears that have to listen to them, and if they make YOU happy that's all that matters.

Yes, they sound good to me.

I can't wait till I get them!!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I don't think they sound good for music at all. They are ok as surrounds for HT, or as bedroom speakers so you dont have to listen to the crappy speakers that come with a tv.

I'm getting the R15's soon. The previous owner used them for surrounds, so not sure how they will work in a 2 channel environment.

Will find out soon though - and post the results.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• messiah
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Really? Are you in some isolated place with no CL? Why are you hung up on junk? Those are probably the worst speakers polk has made in years, and while they aren't bad for entry level THEY TOTALLY SUCK compared to what you can get for cheep. Enjoy those bad **** r15's tho:confused:

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2009
    Options
    For 2 channel listening ?? .....obviously,after so many posts,you haven't learned too much. IMHO though,your room is too big for those speakers you have listed, and they are not the best representation of what Polk has to offer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited December 2009
    Options
    2 channel ?? Get some used SDAs and never look back !;)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If I were you, I would look for at least a used pair of Rti28's or 38's. Skip the PSW10, not musical at all, a one note wonder, that distorts and emits more port noise than actual bass output.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Really? Are you in some isolated place with no CL? Why are you hung up on junk? Those are probably the worst speakers polk has made in years, and while they aren't bad for entry level THEY TOTALLY SUCK compared to what you can get for cheep. Enjoy those bad **** r15's tho:confused:

Just in case if you haven't seen THIS thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93312

I already have DefTech towers in my 2 channel system. I'm looking to try these out, ok?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Coming from someone that's personally owned a pair of R15's I'd say pass. Unless they're going in a garage or something, don't even bother.

Pick up a pair of LSi's if you're looking into staying with Polk or at the very least some SDA's.

You should also do something about that room, talk about reflection galore!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    edited December 2009
    Options
    M10's for two channel listening will be adequate for low to moderate listening levels.

They will give a full enough sound without missing too much low end and they probably won't sound too bright, but I wouldn't be expecting super deep or hard hitting bass from a smaller 2-way speaker. The midbass is still very good, and the tweeter still isn't overly harsh.

This is based on my testing of M10 bookshelf speakers as a possible candidate for use as front mains. For that test, they didn't work all that well at higher volumes (especially for techno and hiphop music I used for testing with electronic drum sounds that go really low), but they will work well enough for low to moderate volumes and I think they work great as surround speakers too.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    You should also do something about that room, talk about reflection galore!

Which room? The Living Room (TV plus 5.1 surround) or 2 Channel (DefTech + projector system)?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I just got home with the R15's and hooked them up (wow they are quite solid speakers for the size). I placed them on top of the Definitives for a quick listen and they sound good. Although not as good as the Definitive BP10B's, they are decent for low to moderate listening levels. Anything louder the DefTechs are much better with regards to imaging, detail, soundstage, and precision.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• kawizx9r
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I just got home with the R15's and hooked them up (wow they are quite solid speakers for the size). I placed them on top of the Definitives for a quick listen and they sound good. Although not as good as the Definitive BP10B's, they are decent for low to moderate listening levels. Anything louder the DefTechs are much better with regards to imaging, detail, soundstage, and precision.

Congrats on the speakers.

Hell, here I was telling you not to get them but that was based on personal experience. I hated them but they did alright as surround speakers.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I may use them as surround speakers too.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• kawizx9r
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I may use them as surround speakers too.

If you like them for your 2-channel, keep'em there! I'd think that they wouldn't blend too well having the def techs up front in the HT rig. I know matching your frontstage with your surrounds isn't imperative but I'd at least stick with the same maker/line.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Serendipity
    edited December 2009
    Options
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    If you like them for your 2-channel, keep'em there! I'd think that they wouldn't blend too well having the def techs up front in the HT rig. I know matching your frontstage with your surrounds isn't imperative but I'd at least stick with the same maker/line.

And use the Definitives as stands? That seems like a waste of $1199 speakers IMO.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1