Best games of the decade

Options
tommyboy
tommyboy Posts: 1,414
edited January 2010 in Video Games
I figure its only sutable considering we have a couple weeks left. You can have as many as you want on your list. I'm only going to do top 5. All I ask is not to include two games in a series (ex. You can have halo 1 or Halo 2 but not both)

5. Conkers bad fur day(n64)-Yes, don’t forget the n64! This game came out very late in the consoles time, so it is almost forgotton completely. CBFD was everything you never expected from a mario like platformer. And not to forget the multiplayer, much more enjoyable then the online "sequel" released on the Xbox.

4.Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare(xbox360): Easily the best online multiplayer experience I’ve had, the only one coming close would be halo 2. MW does everything halo wish it could, varied and reasonable class system (though some will disagree), great level design, and of course my favorite the kill cam.

3. Zelda: Majoras Mask (n64) - . A much forgotten game from the Zelda series, I actually enjoyed playing this more then ocarina of time. The whole countdown to doom scenario pulled me into the game. Only having 4 dungeons really hurt the game though.

2. Half life 2/ Orange Box(xbox/xbox360)- I wasn't able to play the PC version since my computer sucks balls, but this game still felt like a whole new experience. Though some vehicle levels might have pacing problems, the rest of the game is a blast to play over and over.

1.Metroid Prime- What else could be my #1. I absolutely hated this game at first though. I jumped into this not playing any other metroid game before. And I thought come on, locking on enemies, no clear cut objective, wtf? But I kept at it, and realized this is not a usual FPS, but something different and much more enjoyable. 7 years later and I'd say I beaten this game with 100% items at LEAST 15 times. And this game seriously hasn't aged a bit, though obvioulsy not as good as games today, I'm still amazed sometimes this game came out in 2002.

So lets hear yours. As you can tell mine is missing most from the newest generation since I'm really not into games as much as earlier in the decade(I didn't get 360 till late last year). You guys don't have to do a full description like I did if you want to just add a couple games be my guest.
AVR: H/K AVR240
Fronts: Monitor 50s
Center: CSI3
surrounds: R15s
Sub:Velodyne DPS10
Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
game hardware: 360 and gcn.
Gamertag: kovster27
Post edited by tommyboy on

Comments

• lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Metal Gear Solid 4, SSX, BioShock, Eternal Darkness, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy XII, Metroid Prime, Shadow of the Colossus
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I think you have to include WOW in this list. my others would include FABLE, Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts 2, The orginal Guitar Hero and Rock Band 2
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited December 2009
    Options
    For me I would say Zelda orcale of time ( I think thats the one I want) for N64, Goldeneye for N64 as I would play the crap out of that game. We would stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning doing the mulitplayer and when your a kid it was awesome. COD4 for the online game play with mulitplayer. Fallout 3 just for the vast maps and never ending exploring you can do, and finally I would say Bioshock, for a completely different story line and just fun yet sometimes creppy game play.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2009
    Options
    coolsax wrote: »
    I think you have to include WOW in this list. my others would include FABLE, Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts 2, The orginal Guitar Hero and Rock Band 2
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    For me I would say Zelda orcale of time ( I think thats the one I want) for N64, Goldeneye for N64 as I would play the crap out of that game. We would stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning doing the mulitplayer and when your a kid it was awesome. COD4 for the online game play with mulitplayer. Fallout 3 just for the vast maps and never ending exploring you can do, and finally I would say Bioshock, for a completely different story line and just fun yet sometimes creppy game play.

x10000 to all those both of you have listed except Bioshock.

Hey Chris, if you're ever down in Chicago again I'll have to setup the 64. Superbomberman, Mario Kart, Goldeneye and all those games were the ****!

To add to the list though

-Zelda (NES)
    -Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! (NES)
    -Super Metroid (Super NES)
    -Mega Man (1-5 but preferably 3 for NES)

and well....I'd list pages upon pages honestly. Occasionally though, I'll hook up the PC to the TV and play some of those games on an emulator all thanks to my Xbox 360 controller :D

PS I just started playing WoW again yesterday. The account I never got to sell is still available.

Edit: My dumbass didn't read "of the decade"
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2009
    Options
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    To add to the list though

-Zelda (NES)
    -Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! (NES)
    -Super Metroid (Super NES)
    -Mega Man (1-5 but preferably 3 for NES)

Edit: My dumbass didn't read "of the decade"

HAHA, I almost made a smartass comment but you edited yourself :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2009
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    HAHA, I almost made a smartass comment but you edited yourself :)

I'm sorry, but I've got some mad love for old school games. I even have my Sega Master system sitting somewhere in my sisters bedroom back in CA. I can't get rid of that old stuff! (not like I'd want to anyway)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Unreal Tournament (ALL of them)
    Command and Conquer: Generals (honorable mention to red alert)
    Rise of Legends (If you haven't played this, you NEED to)
    Age of Mythology
    Gran Turismo 4

Gawddamnit, i hate you guys. Now i need to build a new gaming rig. THANKS.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Gran Turismo 4
    Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour.
    Command and Conquer 3
    Need for Speed carbon
    Mario Galaxy
  • KASR
    KASR Posts: 450
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Dead Space (storyline kudos for this one!)
    Rock Band (I give the first one a nod, becuz the 2nd one is just improving - Rock Band started the WHOLE BAND genre)
    Gears of War
    God of War
    Half Life 2 (AI is incredible)
  • lanion
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Rise of Legends (If you haven't played this, you NEED to)

Really? I LOVED Rise of Nations / Thrones and Patriots. I think the story they added to legends took away from it. It was still fun though -- loved the super units.

Supreme Commander gets my nod for RTS of the decade. Can't wait for the sequel.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lanion wrote: »
    Really? I LOVED Rise of Nations / Thrones and Patriots. I think the story they added to legends took away from it. It was still fun though -- loved the super units.

Supreme Commander gets my nod for RTS of the decade. Can't wait for the sequel.

I didn't like the story as much in Rise of Legends, but i thought the gameplay was better. Not real sure why.

I did love me some Rise of Nations, though. I liked how many possible "nations" you could play as.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm going to add Civilization 4 (especially the Warlords expansion pack)

Also, its a pretty basic game, but is tons on replay fun - Wii Bowling
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited December 2009
    Options
    +1 On Civilization 4. I'd like add to the mix my favorite computer game that I've been playing for about 3 years, pretty constantly : Company of Heroes. It's a Real Time Strategy game, and the best I have ever played.

I must add that the original Civilization is the best game of all time!
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Bioshock - Fantastic story, excellent graphics, and a twist unlike we typically see in gaming. Definitely a must-play game, and a good sign that games can handle adult themes in an artistic and interesting way. Let's hope the medium continues to evolve this way.

Dead Space - I was going to avoid this game, then picked it up kind of at random thanks to a half-off Black Friday deal last year. It ended up being the scariest game I've ever played, and definitely has the best use of surround sound of any game ever. In fact, the tension of this game is what kinda ruined Resident Evil 5 for me, because of how weak it was by comparison.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Of all the games since the 360's launch, this one was my biggest time-suck. Terrorist hunt with friends was always killer, even if it was just to have something to do while we talked about other stuff.

The Orange Box - Nevermind the ridiculous value of getting multiple games in one package, it's PORTAL that made this the steal of the year. An absolutely brilliant surprise.

Mass Effect - First, let me say this: I hate RPGs. And I mean HATE. But Mass Effect's blend of third person shooting with RPG elements was perfect at getting non-RPG players into the story. I bought it on a whim because I dig sci-fi, and ended up being hooked on it like crack. The sequel already has my money.

And here's my off-the-wall pick:
    I Made A Game With Zombies In It - This indie game on XBL isn't particularly mind-blowing or innovative... but that song? BRILLIANT! It's the sort of thing that makes you want to give the guy the $1 purchase price just for how much it made you giggle like an idiot.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The greatest games of the decade? There weren't any...

All of the great games come from the two previous decades.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • KASR
    KASR Posts: 450
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Dead Space - I was going to avoid this game, then picked it up kind of at random thanks to a half-off Black Friday deal last year. It ended up being the scariest game I've ever played, and definitely has the best use of surround sound of any game ever. In fact, the tension of this game is what kinda ruined Resident Evil 5 for me, because of how weak it was by comparison.

I couldn't agree more - I did the same thing - played Dead Space first and then RE:5....RE:5 was just so-so after coming down off of DS! :D
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I like fighter games and enjoy playing Soul Caliber IV on my PS3 a lot.

Jealous. :( I'm in love with Soul Calibur 3, but i don't have a PS3.

• lanion
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The greatest games of the decade? There weren't any...

All of the great games come from the two previous decades.

Too bad you feel that way. We are in the golden age of downloadable arcade games right now. I'm sure some of that, whether it be flower, pixeljunk games, braid, castle crashers, etc.

HT:
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Crysis
    Dead Space
    Bioshock
    Max Payne
    Max Payne 2
    Half Life 2
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2009
    Options
    coolsax wrote: »

I was never much into RPGs at all so you won't see any of those games on my list. Plus I hear you have to pay a monthly fee just to play one game... Screw that;)

KASR wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more - I did the same thing - played Dead Space first and then RE:5....RE:5 was just so-so after coming down off of DS! :D

Oh yeah, I did forget about RE4, what a new and thrilling experience that was. I downloaded the demo of RE5 but was completely turned off by it though not sure why just wasn't fun. Maybe I should try this Dead space as the one thing RE4 was missing was the scare factor.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The only games i really enjoyed over the last decade were all the ninja gaiden series lol.
    1.Ninja Gaiden Black
    2.Ninja Gaiden
    3.Ninja GaidenII
    I must leave blank because i don't play enough games.
    Computer based games only one i'd have to make the list would be Diablo II
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    4 is off the hook! You can create custom fighters with different skill levels and weapons. I created an entire legion of psycho ****. :D

If you SC4 on 360, look me up sometime. A friend and I had some fun creating characters. I have Captain Crunch, Elton John, Smurfette, and a few other gems. :D
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2009
    Options
    tommyboy wrote: »
    1.Metroid Prime- What else could be my #1. I absolutely hated this game at first though. I jumped into this not playing any other metroid game before. And I thought come on, locking on enemies, no clear cut objective, wtf? But I kept at it, and realized this is not a usual FPS, but something different and much more enjoyable. 7 years later and I'd say I beaten this game with 100% items at LEAST 15 times. And this game seriously hasn't aged a bit, though obvioulsy not as good as games today, I'm still amazed sometimes this game came out in 2002.

I never could beat the big pirate in the Phazon mines, but loved that game. I really enjoyed the exploring part. In fact I was wondering if there is anything similar on the Xbox 360. I am so tired of getting killed I just want to wander around some world. ;)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Warcraft 3 - This is one game I can play over and over again over the years and not get tired of it.

(I'm gonna cheat and go a couple years before this decade)
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert - Absolutely NEVER get tired of this game...ever. The infinite customizations (ini editing anyone?), the great storyline acting (cutscenes), and the secret Ant missions make this a game of the century!

CoD4 - My first online FPS game ever was Day of Defeat (half-life mod). While it holds a place in my heart, CoD4 was such a groundbreaking success that I still enjoy playing it over MW2 sometimes (especially the campaign...so much better than MW2).

I'm thinking up more, but we'll see if I have the energy to update this post.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Does Mafia Wars count?!

:D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lanion wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 4, SSX, BioShock, Eternal Darkness, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy XII, Metroid Prime, Shadow of the Colossus

Lanion...that fact that you mentioned SSX surprised me. What a great game that was, but I have to say SSX Tricky was better IMHO. I really miss the SSX series. Nothing has compared to it.

I dont know what games I would mention. I have played some great games this past decade.

There are quite a few games on the N64 that will always be over looked. DK64, Banjo Kazooie, Wave Race to name a few.

I guess for me I would have to say (No particular order):

Fight Night Round 2....best boxing game since Mike Tyson Punchout.

Brothers in Arms: Road To Hill 30....Best WWII game made.

Rainbow Six 3: Best original Xbox Game.

Grand Theft Auto 3: Game changer in every sense of the imagination. Rockstar slayed with this game. I will still play this game just to jump in a Banshee and go on an insane killing spree.

BioShock: Innovative, ground breaking, story line that is original, can play it twice with different out comes depending on if you save the girls or not.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Cogito
    Cogito Posts: 122
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Everquest 2, Half-Life 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and Flight Sim X in no particular order.
    Hearing is believing.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    My Favorite games:

1. Ultima Online, I still play some times, here's some of my screenshots: www.uoDOM.com
    2. Tempest
    3. Ms Pacman
    4. Qix
    5. Half Life Series
    6. Portal
    7. World of Goo
    8. Peggle

I refer you to the topic title sir!
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited December 2009
    Options
    There were a ton of awsome games in the last ten years, but my top 5 would probably be, in no order:
    - Oblivion
    - GTA Vice City
    - Resident Evil 4
    - Call of Duty 4
    - Guitar Hero (series)
    - Kingdom Hearts
    I know that makes 6, but I couldnt leave Guitar Hero out, I probably put more hours into it than any of the others. It was a really revolutionary game . . .
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • dvran
    dvran Posts: 280
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Age of Empires collection, Half-Life (Counter-strike), Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty series.
    ~Dan

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox