B&K Review(s)

smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,458
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've finally got ahold of the B&K stuff I've been "patiently" waiting for and now that I've had time to play with it figured I'd let you know my thoughts on these two pieces of equipment.

B&K ST125.2 - This is the new model year amplifier in 2 channel. I bought this unit on sale and the price about knocked my wife over but she took it pretty well.

The absolute first thing I noticed about this amp was how sensitive it was. I had the interconnects running too close to the back of the TV and boy did I get static, bad! Since our CD player is also our DVD player I knew the wife would hate this amp but a quick move of the cables and all was well with the world, again. I've never had an amplifier that was this sensitive to different frequencies and all my amps have sat in the same place! Running it with my old preamp I noticed subtle details not noticed before in the music. Mainly the flaws in the recording(s) but also how much warmer the sound was. Smooooooooth is the only way to describe what I was hearing. The detail in the highs was a tad more noticeable and the bass was, well, truer. What I mean is that the amp would put slam into the music but only if the music called for it. IMO this was more representative of the music as it was recorded and meant to be heard. Needless to say I am in my own little slice of heaven with this amp.

B&K PT-3 Series II - After thinking on the benefits of Balanced outputs I went with a used PT-3 instead of buying a new PT-5 since the specs were exactly the same except for a few features I'd never use and the balanced outputs. My wife was pleased!

The first thing I noticed on the preamp, running with the ST125.2, was the lack of bass and depth. I know this sounds bad but keep reading. I like to have the tone controls at zero when I can but this would not do this time. Then....., I hit the loudness button, woooaaaa, what happened to the music?!? The low end was definitely there, and in a big, big way. Almost too much low end, borderline anyway for me. I tried turning the bass down a tad but ended up with staleness. Then I turned up the treble two notches, to +4 db, and it sounded dang good. DANG good. Turning the treble up must have done the trick because the depth was there, and I mean it was there. As a matter of fact I've been running the 8t's for many years and never before have I heard the sound that they were producing. I went to the kitchen, looked into the living room and could swear that there was a different pair of speakers running. I looked at those "seemingly" little cabinets and could not believe that the music was coming out of those speakers. Evidently I hadn't heard true depth in music before but I was now! While listening to the Nutcracker I swore that the drum hits was something outside making a noise, the family and I were eating supper at the time. It took me a couple of times to realize it was the music. Weird I know but what can I say?

The programming can be a pain, especially if you're used to different nobs and buttons for everything (must be old school). The remote is, well, a remote. One note here, it's easier running, dilly dallying with things through the remote than by the panel.
It's attractive and beefy, just what equipment should be.

I'm still playing with the "loudness" though. On/off, on/off, on/off, still comparing. Best thing I can think is that B&K had loudness in mind when listening, that's what it seems to me anyway. Like the loudness feature is supposed to be incorporated into the music as a, permanent thing. I've had loudness controls before but I've never encountered one like this. It's definitely a stand-alone loudness (maybe Mantis could elaborate here). It does, however, turn itself down and eventually off when the volume creeps towards 0 db, which is kind of a neat feature. Do I like the preamp or not you are probably wondering? Hell yes I do!! It's the nicest preamp I've owned and sounds awesome!!

Made in the USA, B&K!

About the only music I don't listen to is rap but much classical, a little jazz, blues, and rock when I'm in the mood. Now that I'm older I'm not an 80's rock child anymore. I don't tend to relate much to different kinds of music when typing something like this because everyone likes different music, makes the world go 'round!

Thanks for reading through all this, I hope I didn't bore you too much!:p

I've heard from, mainly Audiogon members that B&K is the low end of the high end. While that very well may be true I remember they are thinking into the Krells, Levinsons, Conrad Johnsons and the like. For me this is high end!

Yes...., my wife likes the new components too!!!!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Nice review. What did you have before the B&K seperates?

I have the PT5 preamp (in silver). The loudness feature I don't understand with this preamp too. Its too overexaggerated in my opinion. I just like to leave the treble flat and I boost the bass +4 without the loudness feature.

The volume knob is a little jumpy too I bet (when done manually); ah well I use the remote anyway. These are my only minor complaints. The sound is phenomenal though and that's what counts the most to me.

Did you run a 12 V trigger from your PT3 to the amp yet (to auto turn on the amp from standby). Its a neat thing to do if you haven't done it yet. You have to use the 5-pin Phoenix connector in the back and modify a $1.99 Radio Shack 1/8 inch miniplug to get it to work.

By the way, I was eying this amp too to match my PT5 in the future.

P.
  • smglbrth
    edited April 2003
    pjdami -

Before the B&K I had Audiosource amps and preamp. The amps held their own extremely well, especially for the price. The pre, well........... Older Carver before that.

The volume control does take some getting used to. Since the balance, volume, bass and treble are all controlled with the one nob suppose it's the "digital" thing.

I do have the amp hooked up with the trigger. On the back of the PT-3 there is just one plug for the connector. It doesn't have the 5 pin Phoenix like the PT-5. The location of the amp is up high so it can breath and kind of inconvenient if you have to manually turn the unit on and off. It works great, especially for my wife since she's shorter than I am.

The first thing I physically noticed about the amp was the caps. I've never seen caps so big on an amp in my life. They are HUGE!! If you have any questions on the amp let me know.

Glad you liked the review, I try not to be tooooo dry.... :D
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    It doesn't have the 5 pin Phoenix like the PT-5.

Cool deal. Forgive me for my ignorance of the PT3's features. Looks like you are set with the conventional trigger. When I first saw my 5 pin Phoenix on my PT5 I was like what the heck is that thing.

Yeah, I listen to everything except rap and country myself. Listening to some Jazz right now, Mindi Abair's latest "It Just Happens that Way". She plays the saxophone. She's a quite a bit of eye candy to see too. Pretty good album mostly instruments though with no vocals.

Enjoy your new equipment.

P.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2003
    loudness ,
    it's a 6db boost in the lower HZ.I don't use this feature as I feel it colors up the sound.
    Same with Bass and treble.I leave always at flat.
    If you feel the need to adjust,I feel you may not like the sound quality of that given piece.OR......are used to hearing certain music colored.Boosted signals are boosted signals.They are there if you choose to use em.
    B&K is great gear.High end they are not.Great mid fi gear.Best in it's and under price class all day.I don't believe you can do better then B&K at it's price point.
    Caps you talk about???Yeah I like em 2.I enjoy a good cap/s....nice light blue in color.......yeah man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • smglbrth
    edited April 2003
    mantis -

The 6db boost makes perfect sense since it seems to me, anyway, that the treble doesn't shift much when loudness is turned on. It also seems to me that the pre pulls through more "tones" or frequencies, if you will, with the loudness on. With little volume I can feel vibrations everywhere. Even with the bass 6db up and no loudness, since I've played with it quite a bit by now, I don't get the same "feel" from the music. And I've never heard such a distinction between discs before. I prefer Telarc to just about anything else and feel they do an excellent job with recordings.

Coloring is neat word. I probably am used to music being heard that way to an extent. These are the nicest components I've owned so that would make sense as well.

Funny thing about different speakers with different equipment too. The 8t's I have are probably VERY mediocre compared to some of the different Polks now. Who knows, if I were to purchase a different set, probably the "new" version of what I have (meaning the 1" tweeter and 2-6 1/2's) it might sound totally different and the levels being totally flat with no loudness would sound great! But....., since I've just spent over a grand on the two pieces I doubt the Mrs. would go for that right now. There's always tomorrow........ :D

BTW - I have a friend of mine looking into used B&K surround receivers since many people are looking to get into the new models right now. He was going to buy a Yamaha but I talked some sense into him.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2003
    Great review smg. B&K makes some nice stuff. I've yet to hear any negative comment about their products. How many w/ch is the amp?
    If you like the loudness feature, go for it. We all prefer different "colors" of sound and if you like what you hear, just leave it on. Remember to try listening without it once in a while just in case your taste happen to change.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    smglbrth
    Try it flat for awhile.See where it gets you.You might enjoy the rich full body tones.You will find a higher level of detail this way.Nothing will out shine another....You'll understand.

Listen for awhile and lets hear about it............
    Dan
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited April 2003
    B&K is top notch stuff and you will keep falling more in love with it as time passes and everything burns in well...................................
    Good pick...
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • smglbrth
    edited April 2003
    Organ - B&K states on the website and the box that it's 125/channel in 8 ohms, 185/channel in 4 ohms. The manual which came with my unit states 140/channel in 8 ohms, 185/channel in 4 ohms. Don't know if it's a typo but suppose 15 watts doesn't mean didly!

Mantis - I can tell you my thoughts on classical music. After remembering what concerts sound like live and also remembering playing in them, believe it or not I used to play when I was younger, I prefer the loudness off with tone controls at zero. Reasoning - How often do you actually feel the low tones vibrate in the floor and seat of your pants while in a concert hall? I felt very few, and I mean VERY few if only a couple times ever. I do remember how spacious the music was, "airy" would be a good word. In this respect the preamp sounds very much like a concert hall with classical. Open but powerful when it's written that way in the music.
    But......, talking of other styles of music I can't say yet. After listening to music and remembering only one way to hear it I find I am more a creature of habit than anything!

Music listening is such a relative thing though, I'm finding. It's a good thing we're all so different or it would be a boring market in audio! I love this hobby.......:p
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    smglbrth
    This hobby is all about what you just wrote.......Keep listening.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2003
    im with mantis on keeping a flat response on two channel, multi-channel would be different
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    smglbrth,
    Congrats on your 2 ch B&K... nice indeed. Play with the settings and then go with your ears. The boost loudness gives is artificial, but in your acoustics, might be needed.

mantis,
    For a 2 ch rig does smglbrth qualify for the full "Simply Better" tee-shirt, or just a tank top? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    I don't see why not.........

B&K owners are B&K owners.......Simply Better Club is open for all B&K owners........
    Dan
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited May 2003
    :confused:
    I don't know much about The high end or mid fi--but i always like to keep it all flat--also i can kinda cheat if i find a song thats very weak (studio recrding) in the bottom end -(or anything) i re record it through my mixerboard,and BBE,,customize the sound and then play it back flat on the equpment--the only time i really do that is if i gat ahold od a very old bassless recording like black sabbath #1 or deep purple -burn or something that you just cant get any bass out of..--of course i don't take it too seriously,,it is just fun to play with..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".