I do not understand Bi-Wiring

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,789
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I think you've got the bi-wire basics down and it's good of you to turn around and help someone else. That's what it's all about (and you do the hooky-pooky, that's what it's all about....never mind, I'm doing my taxes, the mind has gone), but just one thing to correct. You are a Polkie!

F1......out
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• eulogyt00l
    eulogyt00l Posts: 45
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Your right F1nut I guess I am a Polkie. I though it was funny and ironic that I now try to help others in the same thread I made with the same problem.

Have fun with your taxes....I know I did. My mind was gone too. And I still haven't got it all back yet!
    Our Fathers are models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
    --Tyler Durder--
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I just built a pair of these. While still being broken in I can honestly say that unless I get a MAJOR windfall, I will never buy another speaker cable again. They sound much better than my 13 AWG silver coated, teflon wrapped, ...., speaker wires. With the silver my bass dropped way off. It tightened up and was about as deep as Monster Superflex (15 yrs old), but the CAT5e has the highs and lows.

BTW: I just went to the Midwest Audio Fest in Lima OH. I was surprised and yet releaved to not see too many big name manufacturers. There's something about $4K speakers with no-name speaker wire that makes me smile.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    but the CAT5e has the highs and lows.

Did you build a pair of CAT 5 speaker leads? If so, I'm kinda curious about them. I've seen the DIY Cat5 wires and was tempting to try them out myself before I spend some money on the real stuff. Post some picts....
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    eulogyt00l,

Welcome... all I can say is you picked a hell of a topic to kick off your Club Polk experience. Run thread title searches on "wire" and "bi-wire" sometime and you'll see what I mean. Definite "high wire" and "low wire" camps round here. There are also Bi-wire, bi-amp and bridged amp factions.

My advice... walk before you run, i.e., don't spend too much on wire right out of the box. I splurged on a 500' roll of Woods wire at Home Depot a while back for my HT construction. I'll play with higher-end someday, but not a priority for me just yet. I've got interconnects to upgrade first. A bit surprised no one mentioned www.signalcable.com to you.

BTW are you "Eulogy-Tool" or other?

F1,
    All right taxes are over Bud. I can only imagine the task it presents for the self-employed (mailed mine at 15:30 today as well)... Now think about how an amp could possibly tell the difference between a bi-wire run that starts at a speaker selector switch vs a common pair of output terminals. ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • eulogyt00l
    eulogyt00l Posts: 45
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

"BTW are you "Eulogy-Tool" or other?"

Thats right Tour2ma, Tool is my favorite band and Eulogy is one of their songs. And since Tool is always a name thats already taken on boards I just use eulogytool.

I didn't even know about the forum search until just recently. But this topic seems to be helping others as well as me so I am glad I made it.

I think I am going to try that cable out that I found. The "musical cable". It's not that expensive and for what it's claiming, it has to be at least a good entry level cable. Although I really have my doubts about it sounding better than that $15,000 MIT oracle cable. But I am going to try it. When I do get it and try it out for a few days I will be sure to post a little review on my opinion of it. So if it's good or if it sounds like crap, people will know.
    Our Fathers are models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
    --Tyler Durder--
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Great.... we'll look forward to your review...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sorry, no camera Tony. Here's a link to the ones I built though.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Pablo,
    quick and dirty man.Go out and buy a pair of MCX bi wires from Tweeter or any other close retailer in your area.This is the best way to learn more about bi wiring.Don't make your own.Buy premade.Once you get the Idea,play for awhile,and you feel you can now make better bi wires then the actual wire companies,then my all means.

Bi wiring is a simple concept once you dig into it.Sound quality inprovement I have heard everything I have bi wired my speakers.

SO I believe this is your answer instead of getting more confused,get out and buy a pair.Have fun ,listen and report back your findings and ask away.......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. From what I get out of this, I think I will go and buy a pair of bi-wires and hook them up.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Options
    And thus another is lost to the "dark-side"...
    star-wars-smiley-007.gif
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Isn't this a way to bi-wire? I think Dr. Spec uses this method....i dunno.. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    Strickly speaking, no. Your schematic is not bi-wiring. In bi-wiring you run completely separate runs are made from the amp outputs to the two-pairs of speaker posts and the jumpers are removed.
    Doc was just replacing the stock jumper "buses" on his f/x 1000's with wire. He noted an improvement when he did this.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Sid,
    Strickly speaking, no. Your schematic is not bi-wiring. In bi-wiring you run completely separate runs are made from the amp outputs to the two-pairs of speaker posts and the jumpers are removed.
    Doc was just replacing the stock jumper "buses" on his f/x 1000's with wire. He noted an improvement when he did this.

can you do this?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    well darnit.....
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Yes, where you terminate the runs on the posts does not matter.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Nice home made pic's.How about more detail and some brand names.How about some WBT connectors,draw the back of the speaker and amp..........lets get real detailed shaw we.......
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Nice home made pic's.How about more detail and some brand names.How about some WBT connectors,draw the back of the speaker and amp..........lets get real detailed shaw we.......

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    OK here's an oldie but goodie.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    that was cool, I'll try again
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I like mine better......