Rotel Vs Anthem

Options
SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Which combo would you choose if the prices are the same? Which combo looks/styling better? Rotel.......Anthem?..........:confused:

I'm still trying to decide.....................

dc.
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Looks like one pic at a time!!!
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    here is the Rotel rb1080
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    here is the Rotel rc 1070
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'd have to go with the Rotels on styling on this one. cleaner lines, not to boxey looking. it screams high end audio. and it'll make you the owner look like you know your stuff. which i'm sure you do.. or else you wouldn't be looking at either one of these. :p

Are the comparible (sp) in specs? They are both beautiful, but i would go with the Rotels myself.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would second Al, both are great products, but Rotel has the sophistication and classy look to it...If you feel the sound is comparable, then I think either way it would be a sound decision. Have fun!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Just in Syle alone,Rotel wins hands down.Sound quality is another story.Anthem makes really nice products.For Home Theater I would give the edge to Anthem as they have THX ULTRA2 processing.
    2 channel ........long shoty of me,I only listened to there home theater stuff.
    Rotel on the other hand I have hear it all and I am very Impressed with them.Great company ,great sound,little price......what more could you ask for??They even have silver...
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Speaker7,

Are the Anthem products above 7 channel pre/pro and power amp versus the Rotel two channel gear?

I like the looks of the Rotel too myself. However, the Anthems don't look bad at all in that Silver. Looks are not as important to me as sound quality. I have never listened to Anthem products before but my Rotel dealer does carry both Rotel and Anthem. He's a small outfit here and he owns the store (has been in business for over 25 years). He pretty much tells you straight up how things are going to be. He told me if I wasn't happy with my Rotel 1055 receiver then we could look at Anthem seperates as an upgrade (within six months). From my understanding, Anthem is a step above Rotel. I was a little disappointed when I saw that my 1055 was manufactured in China (it sounds great though and no issues so far). Whereas Anthem are manufactured in Canada. There are several good reviews from Stereophile on anthem.com.

You really can't go wrong. Give them both a listen if you can at your house with a return / trial policy. One thing I can say about my Rotel receiver is that the sound is neutral to warm to me. What kind of speakers are you going to mate this gear to again?

Have fun deciding.
    Paul
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'm getting the Anthem this summer.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Frank Z........which model are planning to purchase (2ch/5ch)? What do you like about Anthem and have have any thoughts on Rotel?

Pj dami/danger boy...........the pic's above is a two channel pre (Anthem) with a built in tuner but you will need and adapter in order to play phono, the Rotel (pre) plays phono but no tuner, the amp (Anthem is the MCA50 model but the 2ch amp looks the same as theMCA20/2ch. The Rotel (2ch)amp is rated 200 watt @ 8ohms vs the Anthem 225watts @ 8ohms .......over all the specs for the amps are pretty the same. I will probably use one of these combo's with a pair of Paradigm studio 100's because of the price.....Lsi would be nice but it's abit out of my Canadian budget.

mantis.......too bad you did not have the chance to listen to Anthem 2ch gear.......I'm quite curious how you would rate the difference between the two. I have listen to the 2 ch Anthem but never had the chance with Rotel.....too bad non of my dealers here have both brands of amp/pres at the same outlets.....so then I can have real comparison test (I may have to gamble on this one). But I'll see what the opinons I can gather from the Polk buddies on this board.

polkatese...........tough one eh! I'm having a tough time deciding.....the Rotel amp does look pretty mean!

dc. thanks all!!!

:lol:
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    ...as they have THX ULTRA2 processing.

Awe crap...don't tell me they've sold you on this THX crap too!!!!
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I don't know about the Rotel, but I can tell you that the MCA50 Anthem amp is VERY VERY impressive. Their ratings are irritating though since they push that as a 225wpc amp, but it's only 180 all channels driven......still pretty respectable. (i just don't like the difference in the quoting of wattages)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Amthen spec's.....

INPUTS
    MCA 20 2 Single-Ended, 2 Balanced, 1 Relay Trigger (3.5-mm Mono Jack)
    MCA 30 3 Single-Ended, 3 Balanced, 1 Relay Trigger (3.5-mm Mono Jack)
    MCA 50 5 Single-Ended, 5 Balanced, 1 Relay Trigger (3.5-mm Mono Jack)

OUTPUTS
    MCA 20 2 Pairs Speaker Binding Posts, 1 Relay Trigger (3.5-mm Mono Jack)
    MCA 30 3 Pairs Speaker Binding Posts, 1 Relay Trigger (3.5-mm Mono Jack)
    MCA 50 5 Pairs Speaker Binding Posts, 1 Relay Trigger (3.5-mm Mono Jack)

SWITCHES
    Front Panel: Power On/Off
    Rear Panel: 3 On/Off Modes (Trigger, Manual, Auto)

POWER OUTPUT
    (Continuous RMS, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <1.0% THD, AC line voltage held constant at full load)
    Impedance ¥ 8 ¥ 4 ¥ 2
    # of Channels Driven 1 All 1 All 1 All
    MCA 20 225 W 200 W 370 W 300 W 535 W 410 W
    MCA 30 225 W 180 W 375 W 265 W 550 W 340 W
    MCA 50 225 W 180 W 370 W 265 W 535 W 340 W*
    *Special test conditions required

OTHER SPECIFICATIONS
    HEADROOM
    1.45 db (8); 2.3 db (4)
    POWER BANDWIDTH
    10 Hz - 80 kHz (200 W @ 8)
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    20 Hz - 20 kHz (-0.15 db); 5 Hz - 100 kHz (-2 db)
    THD + N
    0.0015% @ 1 kHz; 0.03% @ 20 kHz (100 W into 8)
    INPUT SENSITIVITY
    1.5 VRMS for 225 W into 8
    INPUT IMPEDANCE
    10 k (RCA); 15 k (XLR)
    DAMPING FACTOR
    130@ 1 kHz (ref. 8)
    S/N RATIO
    120 db, A-weighted (ref. 225 W)
    CHANNEL SEPARATION
    >65 db (100 Hz - 10 kHz)
    VOLTAGE GAIN
    29 db
    SLEW RATE

POWER REQUIREMENTS
    MCA 20 800 VA @ maximum power output (8 load)
    MCA 30 1100 VA @ maximum power output (8 load)
    MCA 50 1800 VA @ maximum power output (8 load)
    DIMENSIONS
    MCA 20 17-1/4" (43.8 cm) Wide x 7" (17.8 cm) High x 12-1/4" (31 cm) Deep
    MCA 30 17-1/4" (43.8 cm) Wide x 7" (17.8 cm) High x 12-1/4" (31 cm) Deep
    MCA 50 17-1/4" (43.8 cm) Wide x 7" (17.8 cm) High x 17-1/2" (44.5 cm) Deep
    NET WEIGHT (Unpacked)
    MCA 20 35 lb (15.9 kg)
    MCA 30 41 lb (18.6 kg)
    MCA 50 61 lb (27.6 kg)
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Rotel specs.................

Model RB-1080
    Power Configurations
    Watts/Channel all channels driven, unbridged, 8 ohm load, 20 to 20k Hz, 0.03% THD 2x200 watts
    Total Harmonic Distortion
    (20 Hz - 20 kHz) -
    -
    cont. rated power
    one-half rated power
    one watt per channel
    0.03%, maximum
    0.01%, maximum
    0.02%, maximum
    Intermodulation Distortion
    (at rated power, 60Hz:7kHz = 4:1 )
    0.03%, maximum
    Damping Factor (8 ohms) 1000
    Input Impedance/Sensitivity 1.5V, 32 kOhms
    Input Overload Level 5V
    Frequency Response 15Hz-100kHz +0.5dB, -3dB
    Signal to Noise Ratio (IHF A)
    116 dB
    Power Consumption: 550 Watts
    Dimensions (W x H x D): 430 x 139 x 400 mm
    17 15/16" x 5 1/2" x 15 3/4"
    Power Requirements:
    115 volts, 60 Hz (U.S. version)
    230 Volts, 50 Hz (European version)
    Weight (net): 16.7 kg, 37lbs.
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2003
    Options
    SPEAKER7,
    Sorry, should have made that a bit more clear. I'm going to get the AVM-20 v.2 pre-amp. I had a loaner PVA-7 for a while, but ended up getting the Outlaw 7100. It was more power and cost half as much as the Anthem amp.

As for Rotel, I was at a local Hi-End shop a few months back listening to some BK seperates and they had some rotel stuff laying around. The sales guy said that they were getting away from selling it because the quality was not as good as their other offerings. He might have been trying to steer me towards the BK though because they are more expensive. I didn't bother listening to any of the rotel stuff.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited April 2003
    Options
    The Rotel RB-1080 is in my future....however I think the spec on the damping factor has got to be a typo (1000?) Holy crapola!!1:eek:
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sorry Frank Z ......don't mean to confuse you....

You are planning to get the TPL 1 pre amp or is the MCA 20 power amp?

I'm getting a lot of mixed feelings to neutral feeling for both brands...the tough gets going and the going is getting tougher!!!!! May be I'll have to wait til you get your Anthem first and get a review before I make any final decisions!!!!! Audio gear is so much fun but deciding what to get is the hard part.

dc.:confused:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tony, not a typo.

Of the two, I'd give a slight edge to Anthem in performance and looks. Bold/simple, it's manly!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    edited April 2003
    Options
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sorry, Frank Z...............................I think my brain is drawing blanks.....yes it's the ultimate receiver........I only looked and demoed the 2ch gear.....the receiver was over 5000.00 big ones and the store didnot want to carry one in the show room but will bring one in if the right custmer with the big bucks wants one.

dc.:lol:
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by SPEAKER7
    Sorry, Frank Z...............................I think my brain is drawing blanks.....yes it's the ultimate receiver........I only looked and demoed the 2ch gear.....the receiver was over 5000.00 big ones and the store didnot want to carry one in the show room but will bring one in if the right custmer with the big bucks wants one.

dc.:lol:

Whoa now..It's not a receiver...It's a pre-amp.

$5000 is way too much, my local Anthem dealer is selling them for about $3200. You might want to find another dealer with better pricing!
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    SPEAKER7,
    mantis.......too bad you did not have the chance to listen to Anthem 2ch gear.......I'm quite curious how you would rate the difference between the two. I have listen to the 2 ch Anthem but never had the chance with Rotel.....too bad non of my dealers here have both brands of amp/pres at the same outlets.....so then I can have real comparison test (I may have to gamble on this one). But I'll see what the opinons I can gather from the Polk buddies on this board.
    No I haven't.Anthem is very nice gear.I will say this,they are on a higher level then Rotel.Rotel is more of entry level seperates,but I feel they pwn the enty level.
    You know I really feel it's a very personal choice.I don't think you can go wrong which ever way you deside.Rotel will cost less,but is the sound what your looking for?Or is the higher end Anthem your game????Tuff man I know.

TonyPTX,
    Awe crap...don't tell me they've sold you on this THX crap too!!!!
    Tony Tony Tony Tony.........Man THX is more then a symbol.There's alot of industry history and a long list of great gear.
    Denon,Pioneer,Marantz,Onkyo,Integra,Harman Kardon,JVC all have THX receivers.
    Krell,McIntosh,Integra Research,Anthem,B&K,Mark Levinston,Lexicon are all high end seperates that support THX.
    I could go on and on about THX Bro,If you already haven't at least take some time to dig into the wonderful world that THX offers.You can disguard it if you choose,but In my opnion that anyone thats serious about Home Thear should at least learn about THX.They have good standards that even a non THX system can benefit from.Speaker placement is big,room acoustics,again it's good learning nonetheless.
    Dan
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sorry again!

It's a THX pre-amp processor tuner........for multi ch use.........I gotta cha! the 5000.00+ is in Canadian dollars.....still it's many hours of work for me.......too much work!

dc.:o
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Mantis,

too bad.......I like both great sound and higher end!!!! WHAT TO DO ....WHAT TO DO!!! buy some lottery tickets and hope to win and buy both!!!!!!

dc.:(
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would seriously listen to both at home if possible and see what set sounds better driving your speakers.
    Dan
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Big problem...........I haven't bought the speakers yet!

I tried e-mailing and audio shop (soundhounds.com) and I got a reply........where are you e-mail from? and that's all they gave me and never replied back.

They carry the both the brands of pre/amp that I am interested in and also the speakers (pdimes)...but I guess they don't want to give me any insight unless I was going to buy from them. (how sad!) I guess I will not be buying from them......

dc.:rolleyes:
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by SPEAKER7
    Sorry again!

It's a THX pre-amp processor tuner........for multi ch use.........I gotta cha! the 5000.00+ is in Canadian dollars.....still it's many hours of work for me.......too much work!

dc.:o

Sounds like you need to take a trip south!
  • pjdami
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Speaker7,

Are you 100% sure that you are getting the Studio 100s? Sounds like you can get a great deal on them in Canada. I own the Studio 40s. My Rotel RSX 1055 really helps to tame the tweeter on the Studio quite nicely. If you plan on placing them in a living room with some carpeting and reverberating absorbing stuff like curtains and couches the Studios / Rotel gear are a match in heaven.

If you're definitely getting the 100s, buy them first before you make the Anthem / Rotel decision. The Studios are 8 ohms so you can break them in with any ole receiver (70 hours recommended by Paradigm).

From this point, you are going to have to decide how detailed or warm you like your music. I'm not sure how Anthem fits in this category neutral, warm, or slightly brighter than neutral. I would recommend getting the warmer sounded amplifcation of the two to mate well with the Studios tweeter.

I know...I know... now who is going to know the answer to this question. All I can provide is my experience. My Rotel 1055 sounds warmer with my Studio 40s than my B&K pre and NAD C270 seperates did. So I prefer to listen to the Studios with the Rotel. Now where does Anthem fit in here....is what your ears need to figure out.
  • SPEAKER7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Pj dami,

where does Anthem fit? I wonder if Paradigm bought them out because they believe that their line of speakers mate well with the Anthem gear or was it just a good business decision for them?

Anyways.....I got the price for the 100's down to 1800.00 $cdn or about 1200.00us

dc.:cool:
  • pjdami
    edited April 2003
    Options
    $1,200 US for Studio 100s.. that's a great price.

Paradigm is a great company. I've been impressed. Anthem gets a lot of positive feedback and people who are looking to buy on this board Anthem products.
    where does Anthem fit? I wonder if Paradigm bought them out because they believe that their line of speakers mate well with the Anthem gear or was it just a good business decision for them?

The answer to this is probably both Yes; that's just my gut feel though. My Paradigm dealer also carries Anthem and Anthem is what he recommends as an upgrade as a step above Rotel. I think you will be happy with the Anthem / Studio combo. If it were me, I think I would go with the Anthem. I just am hesitant to comment on something I have never listened to.

Did you listen to the Anthem / Studio 100 ? Did you listen to the Rotel / studio setup? Don't rush your decision; its all good and you will be happy either way.

Man, I know...these audio purchases are often difficult to make one's mind up on. Many times it's hard to get a good setup / demo at a dealer in less than ideal conditions. I can't even make up my mind which is better in my own house. Both my setups sound really good....but they have their own character. Its all good man...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Options
    For looks I'd choose the Rotel amp and the Anthem preamp.

If I had to pick between one brand or the other, I'd go with Anthem hands down. Okay, not hands down. While I've heard both, they were in very different rooms, with different speakers, and actually different states with a time between. If it were between the two I'd do my best to fanagle an inhome A/B comparison with a pair of pair of speakers that were as revealing as possible. My speakers first, but I change them quite often and will someday upgrade.

I chose Anthem based on the pre-amp and what I've read on the net from owners of both Rotel and Anthem. When being sold, what are they upgrading to, their speaker choice, over-all impresions, any problems had, etc.
    Make it Funky! :)