cd players and dac's-

Options
begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited April 2003 in Electronics
I'm using my 300cd-megachanger and it's been a a great convience factor but I'm now I'm looking to improve in the audio perfomance.

I'm using the DAC in my receiver but I'm wondering what other options are out there.

Get into separates, preamps that is? Outboard dacs? Single disc players with their high quality dacs?

Does convience and audio-performance go hand in hand with cd-megachangers ??
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    begbie
    it depends on what you own.What is your mega changer.Pioneer Elite and Sone ES make great sounding mega changers using there owns DAC's.Some Receivers might have better Dac's.So a listening test is up for the answer.Outboard DAC's can be purchased,but that will depend on the rest of your system if it's worth the extra cost.........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It's a regular Sony megachanger Mantis.

Speaking of Sony ES and their DAC's. Can you use their DAC's from their lower end megachangers when daisy-chained? In the manual of my changer i have to use the analog outputs to another changer but I was wondering if that was the same case with the ES series??
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Yes it is.The ES series yields alot better sound quality.If you plan on an upgrade and like the way your player works,then ES is the logical choice.I'm most likely going to buy one as well.I listened to the ES 400 disc compared to the Pioneer Elite 300 disc(which I own currently)and forun it to sound fantastic.The Elite is no slouch as it is real close,but there is a hint of warmth with the Sony ES model I'm starting to favor.
    Dan
  • begbie
    edited April 2003
    Options
    So you're saying the ES changer will accept the optical output of my regular Sony megachanger and use it's DAC's ?? It must then have an optical input !!- .....I hope :(

I wonder why their regular changers won't allow this?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • begbie
    edited April 2003
    Options
    If I understand correctly, if I can only daisy-chain the Sony megachangers by analog , then the one that acts as a slave is using the inferior dac compared to the primary ES mega-changer?

Here's a pic of the back of the Sony ES555 megachanger.

If that's so then .......:(
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    begbie
    SOrry for a misleading reply.No you can only link them together with an analog connection.It's a pass threw.The DAC's are used in each player as if they where stand alone.Linking just gives you the ability to navigate the menu's from one player,cool if you have a killer collection and want to share one cd input on your Preamp or receiver.So the quality of sound you get is as good as the quality of the DAC's.Sony ES DAC"S sound really good.Better then most others if not all others in there price class.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    What dacs do they use, and at what bitrate?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • begbie
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well here were the specs. I could find.

-CDP-M555ES
    -msrp $700.00 (yikes!)
    -400 Disc MegaStorage® CD Changer
    -Advanced MEGA Control for up to 800 Discs
    -Custom FileTM/ CD TextTM Memory for up to 800 Discs
    -Current Pulse D/A Converters (8)
    -Variable Coefficient Digital Filter (Adjustable)
    -Full Feed Forward Digital Filter
    -Twin Jog Dial/Twin Fluorescent Display
    -EZ-Play/EZ-Eject Mechanism
    -Artist Name Search-Locate by Artist
    -Cross Fade/No Delay Play
    -"100+" Switch for Convenient Disc Access
    -On-Screen Graphical User Interface
    -ES 5-Year Limited Warranty
    -Keyboard Input
    -Disc Memo/Scan/Search
    -32 Track Hit List Capability
    -8 Group Files
    -Control A-1II
    -Gold-Plated Fixed Line Output
    -Optical digital output
    -Second CD Line Input
    -Double Thick Top Plate
    -Double Thick ABS Front Panel
    -Dampened Disc Tray Reduces Standing Waves
    -Silent Tray Mechanism for Quieter Tray Movement
    -Signal to Noise Ratio > 110DB
    -Distortion <0.003%
    -Dynamic Range >95DB
    -2-way LCD Remote Control Displays CD Title Information

Mantis,

So i guess if I link the ES changer with a regular changer then I should put my best quality cds in the ES model right?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • begbie
    edited April 2003
    Options
    A few defintions of the specs. and pic of face plate.

Variable Coefficient Digital Filter (Adjustable): Allows you to select one of three settings, Standard, 1 (Clear) or 2 (Plain) from the front panel of the unit. The filter settings subtly change the tone of the sound, allowing you to match its output to the characteristics of your system or speakers.

Current Pulse D/A Converters: 8 pulse (1-bit) digital to analog converters are fed by a highly consistent current pulse source which maintains accuracy despite fluctuations in power supply voltage. The audible result is bass reproduction that is more accurate and expressive than with most other systems. This type of D/A converter also minimizes zero-cross distortion for smoother sound.

Full Feed Forward Digital Filter: This filter will remove noise created by oversampling by feeding a noise-opposing signal (out-of-phase signal) to each successive stage of sampling. The result is a reduction in requantizing noise across the audio band. This allows you to hear greater low-level spatial detail and ambiance.

Mantis, did you know Sony are expecting megachangers to be a more common thing as we all are building our cd and dvd collection. More models are expected and a megachanger with SACD capability will be here next fall.

Maybe hold off till then eh?

Sony cdp555ES below. I'm not crazy about the filters and the need to manual switch them back and forth for your liking. I prefer no hassel fidelity playback..........
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well, basically, and imo I don't care how many 1-bit d/a's they stack and solder together, it's still 1 bit conversion.

The problem is money though, a GOOD d/a converter will run 3-4 franklins, at the minimum, unless you get lucky.

I've had a few, so bare with me. You are using the DACs in your receiver now, but if you want to daisy-chain a couple players, you are forced to use their internal DACs? Do I read that right? Just asking....

Cheers,
    Rooster

How does it sound to you now?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    begbie,
    If Sony releases a Megachanger with SACD I will just buy it,or a couple of them.
    The 555es is a fantastic megachanger.I don't know of a better one.
    Do you need 2 megachangers???

I don't know if you have conducted a side by side with a non ES sony player but the sound quality is very different,with the favor in the ES.
    Dan
  • begbie
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Do I need a 2nd megachanger now? No, but I'm up to 270 cd's maybe throw out a couple of useless cd's I'm but nearing the 300 capacity. Not something I need right away but just gathering information and options.

Russman, i won't be forced to use the megachanger's dac's but if it woul improve fidelity then I would.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would try the best interconnect you have and use the inboard DAC. It may be better or it might suck, but it's worth a try.

You could also look into a CDR/RW. It should have digital ins (and outs). Digital between these and your best analog inter' out. This will also be more stuff which is always good. If you investigate this route, make sure it'll do pass through, or you'll have to do the old Record/Pause thing every time. This will get old quick.

Actually, the first thing I'd do is look at vibration absorption/isolation. Buy a cheap mousepad, chop in into 1/4s and stick it under each foot. You could buy 2 and put the other one on top with a weight on top of that. If you use the weight I'd try to cut the bottom one into 1/8s and double them up.
    This $15 or so tweak should be audible on most systems depending on other things going on.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah

Actually, the first thing I'd do is look at vibration absorption/isolation. Buy a cheap mousepad, chop in into 1/4s and stick it under each foot. You could buy 2 and put the other one on top with a weight on top of that. If you use the weight I'd try to cut the bottom one into 1/8s and double them up.
    This $15 or so tweak should be audible on most systems depending on other things going on.

What a GREAT ideal!!! Very original.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Try gidrah's suggestion. Have you tried hooking up the CD player using the analog out? IMO, CD players sound better when hooked up using analog cables. Using the DAC in the CD player usually gives a more mellow, natural sound where the DAC on most receivers sound too bright for music. So before doing any upgrades, make sure you try the analog out. I bet you'll get a lot more bass.

Maurice