When do you lose your audiophile card?

2»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    After he settles on MP3 or an I-pod?

When you do not know what you are talking about, but think you are something special.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2009
    I lost my man card once for doing a Richard Simmons imitation at a party. The same **** that pulled my card were laughing their **** off at my imitation---ungrateful SOB's.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2009
    When I come to your house, kick your **** and take all the gear...even the busted stuff...and leave you crying on the front lawn as I drive away.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,366
    edited November 2009
    lightman1 wrote: »
    when i come to your house, kick your **** and take all the gear...even the busted stuff...and leave you crying on the front lawn as i drive away.
    lmao...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2009
    lightman1 wrote: »
    When I come to your house, kick your **** and take all the gear...even the busted stuff...and leave you crying on the front lawn as I drive away.

LMAO wow who are you Chuck Norris? :rolleyes:
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2009
    Lose your audiophile card? Hell, who says someone's worthy of getting one in the first place?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,917
    edited November 2009
    When you install SL2000 tweets in your car.
    Hehe, That cat had lost his audiophile card WAY before that went down. Thanks for the chuckle though. :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited November 2009
    BlueFox wrote: »
    When you do not know what you are talking about, but think you are something special.
    I said nothing of being special but I do know this. An I-pod and MP3's are not what an audiophile would call good sound. They are for the convenience generation, definitely not for critical listening.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    An I-pod and MP3's are not what an audiophile would call good sound. They are for the convenience generation, definitely not for critical listening.
    There's one exception.;)http://www.musicdirect.com/product/82178
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited November 2009
    I bought an iPod a few years ago. Several minutes later a black Ford Econoline flew up on the sidewalk and two men in dark suits got out, pummeled me to the ground, snatched my audiophile card out of my wallet and took off again in a cloud of tire smoke. All I have heard since is a tinny buzzing noise like an old transistor radio. I knew I should have gotten a couple of deep cycle marine 12V batteries and an inverter and just dragged the two channel rig around in a vintage Radio Flyer.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited November 2009
    When you believe what you read, not what you hear.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2009
    SWFalken wrote: »
    I bought an iPod a few years ago. Several minutes later a black Ford Econoline flew up on the sidewalk and two men in dark suits got out, pummeled me to the ground, snatched my audiophile card out of my wallet and took off again in a cloud of tire smoke. All I have heard since is a tinny buzzing noise like an old transistor radio. I knew I should have gotten a couple of deep cycle marine 12V batteries and an inverter and just dragged the two channel rig around in a vintage Radio Flyer.

Welcome to the matrix :D

Morpheus-the-matrix-5555586-400-289.jpg

Morpheus-Red-or-Blue-Pill-the-matrix-1957140-500-568.jpg
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited November 2009
    I have 2 ipods. I have an ipod touch which i use to surf the internet when I'm away from the computer, play stupid games on, blog from when I'm putting my little toddler guy to bed, and do just about everything besides listen to music (except in the car when NPR drops out- the controls are easier/safer to use since they are bigger and within plain sight).

I have a ipod 5.5, 80Gig which is the only iPod that uses a Wolfson Microelectronics DAC chip. While i can hear about anything from anywhere, however, I've only noticed a slightly better quality over the few other Ipod models that I've listened to, and have been told that there are still a few models of iPod that might sound better, and definitely other manufacturers that produce better quality gear... However, I'm completely satisfied. I did have to purchase an small headphone amp to add a little warmth to both of my models, but I think it's more to drive the headphones than to improve the iPod sound quality.

I'm not an audiophile as I can't afford to be one. But I like music and appreciate what the artists are doing, so I'll do what I can, when I can, to make sure that I can hear what I'm supposed to.

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2009
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/audiophile
    au⋅di⋅o⋅phile
      /ˈɔdiəˌfaɪl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [aw-dee-uh-fahyl] Show IPA

–noun
    a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • concealer404
    edited November 2009
    everpress wrote: »

I'm not an audiophile as I can't afford to be one. But I like music and appreciate what the artists are doing, so I'll do what I can, when I can, to make sure that I can hear what I'm supposed to.

You just defined yourself as an audiophile. :D

By the way, i find your recent lack of posting disturbing.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,366
    edited November 2009
    I heard that if you agree to surrender your audiophile card(your soul) the folks at Emotiva will give you a free Amp and a t-shirt.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited November 2009

Been a bit busy... And avoiding this place as I always get a bug to buy something... Which bugs my wife... Which in turn bugs me 'cause I can't afford to buy anything!

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2009
    BlueFox wrote: »

AH CRAP!

Only problem is, how am I gonna jimmy the lock on the executive washroom without my card?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2009
    Being an "audiophile" is not determined by the level of your equipment, it's determined by your love for music reproduced in an emotionally satisfying way.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Lord Vader
    Lord Vader Posts: 167
    edited November 2009

And I find your stealing MY LINES equally disturbing;)...
  • concealer404
    edited November 2009
    Lord Vader wrote: »
    And I find your stealing MY LINES equally disturbing;)...

Lord Vader, i'm starting to suspect that you're a doppelganger, a trap!

But really, my lord. I was just filling in for you in your absence.

• treitz3
    edited November 2009
    Face wrote:
    –noun
    a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.
    Please note the highlighted text. ;)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2009
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Being an "audiophile" is not determined by the level of your equipment, it's determined by your love for music reproduced in an emotionally satisfying way.

Right on. It is a "love for music reproduced in an emotionally satisfying way", but I'll add "not necessarily a love for music". Many are musicphiles, not audiophiles. Nothing wrong with either one but they are different animals. An Ipod with compressed files is perfectly good for a musicphile.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2009
  • treitz3
    edited November 2009
    madmax wrote: »
    An Ipod with compressed files is perfectly good for a musicphile.
    I can see how that would be a fair statement.