Monitor 7's have arrived...my next journey begins...

Options
2»

Comments

• Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I believe they are 8 ohm speakers.
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Pycroft wrote: »
    I believe they are 8 ohm speakers.

NOPE, they are 6ohm. Only the Series II are 8 ohm.
    And they will sound wonderful with a B&K ST-140.
    I have mine on a B&K ST-1400ii (sim specs) and love'em. :)
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,641
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Congrats on the speakers. I am looking for some 7's or 10's myself. I also have to find a way to get them into the house without the wife noticing. :)
  • mrlavaman
    mrlavaman Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Congrats on your sweet deal! :D I, too, am still looking for my first pair of 7s or 10s. I wish sneaking them into the house was my only problem.. I have to contend with some outrageous shipping prices to the islands. Glad everyone is super helpful in sharing information and stories. Makes my research enjoyable! Aloha~
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Anybody else think that James' Polk 7's will sound fine getting driven by B&K ST-140? I do.

About anything would sound good with that amp.....damn nice amp.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited December 2009
    Options
    $50 for 7C’s in good, working condition is a very nice deal, as I think $70 to $100 is pretty typical.

You will probably consider it one of the best $50 you ever spent on audio equipment.

Some other quick/easy things I would do are

1) tighten all the screws on the tweeters, woofers, passive radiators and back terminals.

2) clean the binding posts where the wire or bananas plugs go (isopropyl alcohol and pipe cleaners works well).

3) make sure that one set of binding post caps didn’t get reversed, potentially reversing polarity when you connect speaker wire. When you look at the back of each speaker, binding post color orientation should be the same for both speakers – for example the red post is on the right for both speakers. When I first got my 7C’s, the previous owner must have accidentally switched the red and black posts on one speaker.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.