Monitor 7's have arrived...my next journey begins...

Options
Pycroft
Pycroft Posts: 1,960
edited December 2009 in Vintage Speakers
Feel free to skip the story, if you just want info on the speakers:

Story: So, if you've read, I had the opportunity to purchase Monitor 7's. Wasn't sure of the condition (One crappy picture) or the price. I offered the guy 50 bucks, he said he wanted 85, we decided to meet. He called me today and said if I could pick them up tonight, I could have them for 50. I was a little nervous because if he wanted them gone so bad, there may have been something wrong with them (Perhaps still are). Now the problem was how to get them paid for and into the house without the wife noticing :) (If you've read previous threads of mine, this is a common problem). I was goign to pick them up on the way home from work - easy peasy, they're in my car, I grab them later that night. It didn't work out, so I have to come up with an excuse to leave, drive around, and come back an hour later. I figure I'd go the mall with my 2 year old daughter to give her a break. She loves it. I go the guys house, don't even look at them and pick them up...in her car. As I pull up to the house, I run out, put the speakers outside of my side fo the garage before my wife comes out to help with the baby, and come in. As she's in the bathroom, I go out, grab the speakers, and put them quickly downstairs. Mission accomplished.

The Speakers: Monitor 7 C's. It turns out this guy has original boxes and original cables. I'm not sure what that does, but these look like they're in FABULOUS shape (Not that I would know what I was looking at). I've taken pictures and would love comments. Consider that I know NOTHING about these, or any speakers really...talk to me like I'm an 8 year old. I have no idea how I will use these. Maybe I can see if I could buy a cheap preamp off of someone, use my Soundcraftsmen PCR 800 amp to power them...who knows.

Here are the pics. Thanks to all that gave direction in this purchase!

James
2 Channel/HT:
Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
Harman Kardon HK354
Sony SACD Player
254.jpg 535.9K
255.jpg 523.8K
256.jpg 522.9K
261.jpg 514.4K
263.jpg 563.9K
Post edited by Pycroft on

Comments

• Pycroft
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Here are some pics of the chords. I have no idea if these are good or not. I'm guessing they came with the original speakers.

AND THE BEST NEWS...I GOT THIS ALL FOR 50 BUCKS!

James :)
    266.jpg 525.4K
    264.jpg 557.5K
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nice speakers!!!!
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Congrats-Good deal!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nice score! Let your fun begin, those are great speakers:)
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,035
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nice!!! Enjoy.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I suggest you stop by for a preamp to get you started.

Son, she's going to beat you senseless one of these days. Enjoy it while you can.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Trying to get some miles on those wires to make sure they're actually broken in? :D

Nice score man. Sounds like you got a great deal!
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Congrats James, good score for $50. Is everything ok with the speakers?

Also, are you able to walk after your wife found out about the speakers. :D You need to work on her. "How to win friends and influence people."
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I've got a nice starter preamp for you. :)

Those look like 7Cs to me... same as what i have. GREAT score for $50. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Pycroft
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I don't know if everything is alright with the speakers. I haven't heard them yet. This is the beginning of my 2 channel system. I could bring them upstairs and plug them into my AVR, but the wife will notice. I hope time will deal with hit. My plan is to set them up in the finished basement, and when she notices them, I'll say, "Oh these...I've had these for a while, don't you remember?", and go from there. I used leftover birthday money, so no hole in the bank account, etc. so I'm guessing she'll just forget about it. The key was to get them in without her being suspicious (See above story). I am borrowing a preamp from George (THANKS AGAIN), and have a 2 channel amp I have hooked into my AVR, so it'll be a week or more before I get this up and running. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the speakers look in decent shape from the pics, right? I looked at them, and they seem to be in good shape. The grills are snag free, there is something just not perfect about the speaker cabinet. The tops seem like they were polished or something, but I'm sure it won't affect the sound. When I get them up and running, I'll let you know.

Thanks
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • Pycroft
    edited November 2009
    Options
    They are definetily 7C's. Again, I dont' know much about them, so I'd love some info from the experts. For example, the cables that are pictured, did they come with the original 7C's? I believe George said they were Cobra cables, or something like that. They look like banana plugs on each side, but are very thin, so wouldn't function in the same way I guess. I don't know much about it at all. Also, how do the 7C's compare to the other Monitor 7's? To the 10's, 5JR's, 4's etc? I'd love to hear about people's experiences with them.
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,485
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nice score. Toss the wire. It's nothing special & really oxidized.

Just thinking out loud here. I see pics of that era Polks all the time with rusty fastners. How does that happen when everything else looks mint?!

-Dave
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Very nice score! Those look like they're in great shape!

$50 is a killer price!
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nice grab
    Made in the USA
    Imagine that

Let the better half know you could double your money on those----not that you would ever want to sell them-- but just sayin
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Wow, that whole story sounds exactly like mine. I still chuckling. :D Everytime I find a local deal I have to figure out how to do it on the lowdown.
    What makes it even more difficult is that we work at the same place so its even harder for me to cut out of work as an option.

I usually leave the score in the trunk until I can sneak out later and bring it in through the basement. I have plenty of hiding spaces, but I'm running out of room, esp for the big speakers.

I tried using my kids as the excuse by taking them out to McDonalds, etc. when she was working late but they rat me out everytime. I can't trust them to keep a secret, esp not from mommy. :rolleyes:

Doing the whole delayed reveal is what I try to do as well. "Oh I had them from last year-I just didn't have them out until now" I'm not sure that she really believes me though :rolleyes:.
    I've decided that I need to start a separate audio account, so that I can make purchases like these w/o it showing on the bank withdrawl statement (which she has been watching like a hawk lately).
    Luckily I just got a little bonus at work so when I've gotten caught I've been able to say I just used 'my' play money, and she's OK with that-but I still get the eyes.

Great score though--original boxes and all--sweet.
    I agree, ditch the wire.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Did you at least do the passive radiator push test? Does the mid-driver move freely?
    Are there any fuses near the binding posts? Are the fuses there and intact?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • Pycroft
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have no idea what any of that means...I did no tests at all. The most I did was upload pictures on here :) I don't have enough knowledge of speakers to push anything. If I pushed it, I wouldn't know what it's supposed to feel like anyway.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • concealer404
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ^Push on the passive radiator, and hold it in. The midrange driver should push outward, and stay out for a bit. I forget exactly how long. Mine will stay out for a good 10-15 seconds and i think that was considered more than acceptable.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• mmadden28
    edited November 2009
    Options
    By the way--the Passive Radiator is one that appears as a normal driver on the outside but in fact has no magnet/voice coil and no wires connected to it internally. This would be the bottom one. Or on the SDA's its the big flat looking one on the bottom. The middle is the mid range driver and the top is the tweeter (just in case--you did say like an 8 year old)

10-15s is pretty long--3-5 seconds is probably good if I recall (I guess it depends on the model, any less then you have a leak in the cabinet somewhere. What you really don't want is the mid driver to not move at all which would mean its frozen. You can also gently push in on the mid driver to see if its moving freely with no scratchy sounds. Keep in mind that if you push off center too much you'll probably get sratchy sounds anyway and you really don't want to do that. You won't know about the tweeter until you hook it up. And when you do, if you don't have any highs, check the fuse (if any) first.

• concealer404
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It won't have a fuse, just those stupid polyswitches.

Let me know if your tweets are dead or they sound funky. I have the replacement parts list here to rebuild your crossovers. ;) Could be fun.

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The press test on the Monitor 7's takes longer in my experience. When I do the press test on my SDA 2A's, the MW's are almost fully retracted after 3-4 seconds. On my M7's, it takes the MW's about 12-15 seconds to retract most of the way.

That's made me wonder if Mortite would even really be a beneficial mod on the M7's. They're already pretty damn air tight.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • George Grand
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Pycroft wrote: »
    I have no idea what any of that means...I did no tests at all. The most I did was upload pictures on here :) I don't have enough knowledge of speakers to push anything. If I pushed it, I wouldn't know what it's supposed to feel like anyway.

James

My favorite person on Club Polk.
  • Malaka
    Malaka Posts: 39
    edited November 2009
    Options
    What a steal! Nice speakers, and nice deal.
  • concealer404
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The press test on the Monitor 7's takes longer in my experience. When I do the press test on my SDA 2A's, the MW's are almost fully retracted after 3-4 seconds. On my M7's, it takes the MW's about 12-15 seconds to retract most of the way.

That's made me wonder if Mortite would even really be a beneficial mod on the M7's. They're already pretty damn air tight.

This is exactly why i didn't bother even thinking about it on mine. Mine take FOREVER to retract.

• dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Such a treat when you can score a deal like that... I get them once in a while. It's a great feeling.

Next up for you...
    1. Clean drivers with windex
    2. Test all drivers
    3. Replace tweeters
    4. Rebuild Crossovers
    5. Upgrade binding posts
    6. Dynamat driver baskets

:X
  • Pycroft
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ****...didn't know I needed to have some advanced degree to own vintage speakers. Is there some kind of guide online somewhere on how to do all this? Thanks for all the help from everyone!
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • jimbo1421
    jimbo1421 Posts: 772
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ****...didn't know I needed to have some advanced degree to own vintage speakers. Is there some kind of guide online somewhere on how to do all this? Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Hi James,

Do a search here on Dynamat & Mortite; you will find plenty of info. Here is my thread on rebuilding Monitor 7As.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86195&highlight=Monitor%2A7a

Jim
    5.1 System:
    TCL R613 55" 4K
    Front: SRS-3.1TL
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 10B
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    Parasound P3 pre-amp
    Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray
    2014 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz

2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro
  • George Grand
    edited November 2009
    Options

Another option is to just get a power amp and see how you like them. That should be squared away about 3:45 this afternoon.
  • George Grand
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Anybody else think that James' Polk 7's will sound fine getting driven by B&K ST-140? I do.
  • fomoco69
    fomoco69 Posts: 51
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Are the monitor 7c's 4 ohm or 8?