Speaker A & B

Options
ndestruckt
ndestruckt Posts: 2
Hello Fellow Members,

I have a question, can I use both speaker A and B at the same time? What are the disadvatage and advantages?

Sonny:rolleyes:
Post edited by ndestruckt on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited April 2003
    Options
    1.Yes, you can.

2.Stress on the receiver.

3.You can play two pairs of speakers at the same time.

You'd be much better off playing A or B, but not together.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited April 2003
    Options
    When you play A and B together, the receiver see a parallel load on its end. For example, if you have an 8 ohm load on terminal A and an 8 ohm load on B and you play them at the same time...the receiver needs to drive a 4 ohm load. Therefore, if you have two 4 ohm loads connected to terminals A and B respectively...then the receiver is driving a 2 ohm load. Most receivers that have A and B terminals do not recommend driving two 4 ohm loads at the same time becasue most receivers cannot drive a 2 ohm load.

So be very careful not to ask too much from your receiver...you could bring it to its knees.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Speaker A and B............Yamaha's reasons for offering it today.

You can drive your home theater speakers off of the A channel and your stereo 2 channel speakers off the B channel.
    So when your using the Home theater side,B is off.When listening to music in 2 channel A is off as well as the Effect........
    If anyone's into Yamaha.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Make sure to ventilate well and check your receiver to see how hot it is. Most higher quality receivers/amps can handle this load depending on the speakers connected and power (volume) applied. If you have a sub, set the x-over as high as possible.
    Make it Funky! :)