Polk audio car reciever

LONG TIME BUYER
LONG TIME BUYER Posts: 112
edited November 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
wonder why polk audio hasn't entered the car audio reciever market? im sure they would be a great reciever, and i know they would look and sound great. whats up matthew,i know i would buy one. anyone else feel the same?
Post edited by LONG TIME BUYER on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2009
    I'd rather them just stick to what they're good at....speakers. I also think it would be an unwise business decision.

The old saying, jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind when i think about polk making head units.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2009
    I agree alpine seams to have the best one out there in MY opinion. Pioneer has went down the drain and so on. Also polk has never came out with any receiver of any kind why would they start?
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited October 2009
    like you say alpine has a good one ,and also there speakers are good.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    ^^ to what cody and bigaudiofanatic said.

A company should stick to the knitting. Do what ure best at. The resource pool (knowledge, people, processes etc) required to makke great speakers and great hu would be different.

WRT Alpine, yes they make great HU's. But speakers? nah. At every price point in the alpine speaker range, there would be better options available. Same story with eclipse.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited October 2009
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I'd rather them just stick to what they're good at....speakers. I also think it would be an unwise business decision.

The old saying, jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind when i think about polk making head units.
    -Cody

A big +1 on that comment.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • exalted512
    edited October 2009
    Pioneer has went down the drain and so on.

since when?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2009
    since when?

I was wondering the same.

And I agree with the jack of all trades, master none. Alpine and Kenwood are perfect examples. They both make some very nice electronics. Head units are considered some of the best on the market worldwide. Amplifiers as well. But speakers are lacking, even with Alpines super duper lines, they just seem to fall short when compared to the stuff from dedicated speaker makers.

Pioneer has great head units as well and their speakers usually perform quite well for their price points as well. But amplifiers are mediocre at best. They aren't junk by far but even the Premier amps are barely above many other companies' entry levels amplifiers.

I would rather see Polk stick to speakers. The amplifiers have been a nice touch but, for the money, there are better out there. But not many other amplifiers match up as nice with the Polk speakers as the Polk amps do. But a head unit is a very different story.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited October 2009
    Pioneer went down the drain about 5 years ago maybe more. They just do not make reliable and well made receivers and there speakers are almost a joke. I went threw 5 receivers of theirs each with a different problem all bought brand new and from crutchfield. I finally gave up and went to alpine never had a problem again.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • arun1963
    edited October 2009
    since when?

+1. I run the pio 880 and I love it.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2009
    Not sure I agree with Pioneer going down the drain. Their new head units are actually pretty top notch. As for their amplifiers, theyre well built and make their rated power without any noise so what more could you ask for. Theyve also got a top end speaker line and while Ive never heard them I know of several people that have and would love to have a set.

Alpine I think makes excellent everything. Their F#1 status stuff was just awesome albeit very expensive. Their Type X speaker line was good as well.

I think that if Polk came out with a head unit line that it would be received pretty poorly and that would hurt it. Same as if Focal or JL Audio came out with a head unit. Polk is a pretty well respected speaker name and I think if they dove into the head unit market it would hurt their reputation.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited October 2009
    I still have to disagree about pioneer. When I buy a 500 dollar pioneer premier head unit and hook it up right without blowing the picto fuse and get crazy noise. Than have to **** around with it and still get it even after ground the rcas I do not see how they are good. Than sell it to someone 2 weeks later and the cd's only eject halfway. I put in a alpine not one problem. That was my last chance I gave to pioneer after that last head unit I was done with them. But I will just say i agree to disagree.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited October 2009
    I disagree, as long as polk audio committed themselves to their products,they would sell,i guess no one has truly heard a polk momo amplier demonstrated for periods of time correctly. The momo series for price and value i would match or surpass to anything out there. This is the time for polk audio to take the control of the car audio market. Whats up fellows,have no faith in their ability? I know they could do it.

Long time buyer
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited October 2009
    I think they could do it. Would it be a smart business move to invest money to start a new section of audio? Not at all at this time were businesses and all are shutting down. They have to play it smart.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited November 2009
    Remember that Rockford Fosgate sold head units and pretty good ones at that but they did sell many. You have to sell a lot of headunits to justify the investment whether you make good ones or bad ones.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2009
    fujistu 10 is where its at.

alpine = mainstream (type R sub)

pioneer premier products are very good. The shallow mount 10" sub and enclosure sounds EXCELLENT.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited November 2009
    pioneer :p what u mean eclipse speakers arun? at price point their actually very good choice. subs also
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2009
    fujistu 10 is where its at.

alpine = mainstream (type R sub)

pioneer premier products are very good. The shallow mount 10" sub and enclosure sounds EXCELLENT.

You didnt get that memo did you? Pioneer has drooped the premier line. Pioneer has not made good units for 6 years now.

http://www.12voltnews.com/?p=8236
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • exalted512
    edited November 2009
    You didnt get that memo did you? Pioneer has dropped the premier line. Pioneer has not made good units for 6 years now.

http://www.12voltnews.com/?p=8236

I'm not sure where you get the idea of Pioneer making bad units, but I've installed more of them than you probably ever will, and have had problems with 2 in the last 2 years. I had my old one for over 6 years without any problems, but I wanted to get something with navigation/DVD player, so I finally swapped it out...still keeping it though.

So I'm not really sure what isolated problems you have had in the past, but they ARE isolated, and labeling their entire line as crap because of the few problems you've had is ridiculous.

If they haven't made a good product in 6 years, how come using only their equipment, theyve made the loudest vehicle ever?
    -Cody
  • cadenceclipse
    edited November 2009
    "over 6 years"..exactly..pioneer blows. all they had was premier line, now nothing..isolated?? what u like so much bout pioneer exalted? loudest evr? sounds hard to believe even coming from u but does loudest really mean anything, in the big picture? for publicity maybe?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • arun1963
    edited November 2009
    I think the brand bashing stems from indignation. How can a 'low brow' brand like pio even think that it can compete in the premium segment? That too at less than what the established players charge. This is a fact. Ask a radical focal / dynaudio fan what they think of the sr's.......does that make polk speakers crappy? No. It's just a biased opinion, thats all.

So a well known issue is highlighted. Yes the picco fuse issue is well known. But its triggered by hot swapping the rca's which is wrong to begin with.

The prs line also has some excellent speakers. I've never heard the prs amps but I'll take Mac's word on it. So good products all round.

You may prefer the 9887 / eclipse over the pio and that's fine. If we all liked the same things it would be boring. Yes the 880 has some known issues. But its still a darn good hu and great VFM.
  • arun1963
    edited November 2009
    hey cadence,

saw your post after I had posted. C'mon man, don't jump on the brand bashing wagon. :p :rolleyes:

yes both alpine and eclipse are great hu's. The prs line tho is in the same league for less $$. In the same league does not mean its better than alpine / eclipse. Its just up there with 7200 and the 9887 thats all. Let's not get elitest. :)

Mac who's prob run alpine all along, vouches for the prs line. Case closed. :cool:
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2009
    "over 6 years"..exactly..pioneer blows. all they had was premier line, now nothing..isolated?? what u like so much bout pioneer exalted? loudest evr? sounds hard to believe even coming from u but does loudest really mean anything, in the big picture? for publicity maybe?

Dont argue with Cody. It only makes you look stupid.

Scott Owens, using all Pioneer gear, has held the SPL world record for a couple years now hitting over 180 db!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVsvdEbd7a8

Steve Cook won not only World Champion at this years MECA finals but also best of show which is the highest score regardless of class using a Pioneer head unit. Andy Jones won best of show at Spring Break Nationals in Daytona this year with a Pioneer head unit. He's also the only person in history to win a world championship in all 3 organizations (USACi, IASCA and MECA). All with a Pioneer head unit.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cadenceclipse
    edited November 2009
    theres other issues than pico fuses..less $$??..don't think so..

i said there was nuttin wrong wit premier line (as far as i know) but besides that, nother story. all this hoopla..best of show..whats that, looks?? yeah, they look nice, only reason i see gettin a pio HU/dvd..that and need for paper weight..i have heard nice things bout their dvds. i just ain't in2 that, just like spl..
  • arun1963
    edited November 2009
    chill bro......I'm sure 'best of show' means best sq at the show. It's about the sound not the visuals.

Taking on mac and cody on the same morning......c'mon whats the real issue?? admit it, your wifey chewed up your **** over something........ we ALL have those days. :D :cool:
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2009
    Best of Show is awarded to the competitor with the highest SQ score regardless of class. So that means out of 50 competitors, he had the highest score.

• cadenceclipse
    edited November 2009
    hhmmm..dam. and thats due to his pioneer HU?? c'mon..
    haha ur funny arun
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2009
    I see there are mixed opinion about pioneer, but the fact is that they do not make good products sense 8 years ago. To say that the only problem was the fuse is a luahg, they had problems with the face plates, internal amps, noise, ejecting disks, bad ipod support, shoot I could go on. The entire audio section of pioneer could go under tomorrow and I would not miss them one bit. the only thing they still make good is their HT receiver.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2009
    i see there are mixed opinion about pioneer, but the fact is that they do not make good products sense 8 years ago. To say that the only problem was the fuse is a luahg, they had problems with the face plates, internal amps, noise, ejecting disks, bad ipod support, shoot i could go on. The entire audio section of pioneer could go under tomorrow and i would not miss them one bit. The only thing they still make good is their ht receiver.

who are u
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited November 2009

What was so different about the Premier line from the regular pioneer? A different color and comes with an iPod cord...I'm sure the 800 series (the 880s replacement) isn't going anywhere, just going to be labeled as Pioneer instead of Premier. Please name one other deck that has the tuning capabilities of the 800 thats anywhere near the price range?
    theres other issues than pico fuses..less $$??..don't think so..

i said there was nuttin wrong wit premier line (as far as i know) but besides that, nother story. all this hoopla..best of show..whats that, looks?? yeah, they look nice, only reason i see gettin a pio HU/dvd..that and need for paper weight..i have heard nice things bout their dvds. i just ain't in2 that, just like spl..

Your postings are so incoherent I can't really even make out what you're saying. All I got out of that was you don't know what best of show is. This obviously shows your lack of knowledge on the industry, as you've done in past posts, as well as your lack of knowledge in general.

The competition lanes shows a lot of how good equipment is. Especially SPL lanes. Sure, that might not be your thing, I'd rather have a SQ car than a SPL one too, but you cannot recreate the amount of abuse the equipment in those vehicles go through...obviously, if Pioneer is on top of that, their equipment is pretty damn solid.

I see there are mixed opinion about pioneer, but the fact is that they do not make good products sense 8 years ago. To say that the only problem was the fuse is a luahg, they had problems with the face plates, internal amps, noise, ejecting disks, bad ipod support, shoot I could go on. The entire audio section of pioneer could go under tomorrow and I would not miss them one bit. the only thing they still make good is their HT receiver.

So what magically happened in 2001? And why has it gone from 6 years in your earlier posts to 8 years now? I'm not trying to start an argument with you (youre acting like a normal human being that just has a differing opinion, on the other hand, cadence is just acting like an idiot), I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from. I've NEVER heard of any of those things OTHER than pico fuse being problematic. Now when they came out with their internal iPod integration, it was NOT on par with Alpine's. But now they are every bit as good. Hell, I can navigate my iPod faster on my z110 than i can through my ipod...lol. But alpine isnt without fault either, their glide touch from a couple years back was very problematic, hence why they did away with it. Also why our shop dropped Alpine. They didn't sell as well and was almost 2 to 1 on warranty vs. the pioneer. This was about 5 years ago when we dropped them. Still well within your 8 year timeline.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying that in our 5 locations, we have had NO problems from Pioneer that wouldn't be considered normal since I've been here, other than the pico fuse...but that is INSTALLER error.
    -Cody
  • cadenceclipse
    edited November 2009
    ur rite same thing, they both blow, either way they stil got nothing now. i just gave premier benefit of doubt since i have no personal experience and 880 or 800prs sure has nice capabilities, i'd say just as nice as 7200mkll.. but thats just me, u know, the 1 wit no knowlege. btw i never claimed to know much about "da lanes" i'm not a competitor(probably should b..haha)(i WAS the one who admited it..BoS) settle down beavis what u got stock in pioneer r sumpin? i'd sell..