A Mantis Question

Options
tntvt
tntvt Posts: 121
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Mantis or any one else: I'm thinking about upgrading my reciever. I know have the onkyo 898. I think I've remember reading it is not one of your favorite recievers. What do you think about the Integra 9.1? I really do not want to go to seprates. Just a personal preference. Thanks!
Post edited by tntvt on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    tntvt,
    If you like Onkyo,then Integra is the way to go.They are the ELITE of Onkyo.It's good stuf But I personally don't care for them.
    That doesn't mean you should avoid them.Unless you plan on upgrading your speakers,then we can get into that topic further.
    There is a world of good quality receivers out there that will give you incredible performance.
    The Integra 9.1 I don't care for.I feel it lacks in many ways.But you have to decide if it's the right receiver for you.
    I could better help you if you tell me what you want it to do,what are your needs and how big your room is.There alot to consider when buying a receiver.
    Sound quality no one can tell you what sounds good or not.I can however tell your or better put steer you in the right direction with alot of input from you.
    With that being said Brother.........add more info.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tntvt
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Manits- Thanks for the quick reply. The 9.1 would be used in the new theater room. 15' x 25' (see system showcase) I would be using it mostly for DVD movies, alittle 5.1 music and CDs. I have read in other threads that you find the onkyo's bright. I have to be honest I find myself turning the treble up on the 898. It is one of the things that bothers me. What is stearing me to the Onkyo/Integra, is ability to upgrade / update the 989/9.1. future proof they are calling it! I have looked into the flagship models from Yamaha Pioneer and Denon. They all look good, Denon$$$$$$$$$. But I guess you get what you pay for.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Jeez, NINE POINT ONE?

Is this really where we are headed, or is this more of a tweek for those interested? Is this, 9.1, 10.2 stuff ever really going to fly?

I can't see myself doing much more than 5.1, unless media/gear availability forces me to. Interesting, don't intened to hi-jack your thread, just struck me curious.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Russ,

The 9.1 refers to the model number of the Integra. Its a seven channel receiver. Top of the line Integra.

TNTV,

I'm with Mantis on this one. I auditioned an Integra 6.3 in my home for a few days and didn't care for it. I bought a Yamaha. Now three months later with LSi's now, I don't need the Yamaha either. Can't speak for the 9.1 though because I never listened to it. But in that price range you have a lot of great choices.

I'm doing the seperates / Yamaha combo right now to listen to two channel music and for home theater. Its a bit of a pain though having to fumble through all of the remotes and adjusting volumes on two different sources, etc. etc.

I've been looking hard and long to find a receiver that is in the $1000 - $1500 dollar range that "can do it all" and I think I've found it. Rotel 1055. Listened to it last weekend at my house and man the thing left me wondering how Rotel pulled this off. Sounded just as good as my two channel seperate setup running the LSi's.

When I went shopping around three months ago for a new receiver I really wanted a H/k because I owned one for many years and loved it. The reliablility problems with H/K steered me away. I knew about the Rotel but didn't know that a dealer existed in my home town. I also thought it was going to be out of my price range. My Rotel dealer told me that Rotel used to make the amps for H/K many years ago and that's why I probably loved my H/K. For $1,200 you get a lot of "BANG" for your buck with the 1055. I'll be picking up this jewel this weekend from my dealer along with a Premier A40 audio rack to support this beast.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks bud.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tntvt
    The 9.1 would be used in the new theater room.

Make sure that you're getting the 9.1U2 (THX Ultra 2 for those that are curious), unless you're lookin to get used. I think that I've heard that the 9 series is being upped to their current model line, which all carry a .3 as compared to the .1. What would be different, I have no idea. Might wanna call Integra and ask what's down the road shortly........

What Mantis said was a good point. Make sure that if you're going to dump a couple grand into a receiver, that you're not contemplating buying new speakers that are 4ohm (like the LSI's) since the Onkyo's aren't rated to run 4 ohm, at least not comfortably or idealy.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I can't see myself doing much more than 5.1, unless media/gear availability forces me to. Cheers, Russ

Russ - 7.1 is really, REALLY awesome for DD-EX, DTS-ES Matrix, and DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete. The two rear speakers simply make all the difference.

And for DD or DTS 5.1, I can run each rear speaker in a discrete non-matrix mode where it only gets the same signal as the respective side surround, time delayed of course. This adds an excellent dimension to 5.1 material.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I second that, it is way cool :D actually just a few days ago I just watched Gladiator in 6.1 and it was definitely all I hoped it would be and more. Now to find a few more 6.1 titles, I heard that The Others is, Ill have to grab a copy. Peace.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    tnytvt,
    It's up to you man.But I would look into Rotel.RSX1065 would be the receiver of choice or go seperates with the rsp1066,rmb1075 and the rb1070.Your looking around 3500.00 for the kit plus your going to need interconnects of high quality.They are the best bang for the buck.Don't limit yourself to a upgrade path with a given store or company.They might not have what your looking for.
    The B&K avr507 would be the complete Ideal choice .It is upgradeable and future proof.It's 4 grand,your right there with the Integra 9.1 at 3200.00.I wouldn't buy it,but I'm not you.
    Like I said before man,if your going to drop this kind of money look around for awhile and see whats out there.I know what works with rt series speakers and what don't........then again personal expetations are always there for the exploring.......

Denon is a very fine choice for rt series speakers.Nice match.It's works very well.
    Dan
  • tntvt
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Mantis just came across The B&K avr507. You can get it all over the internet for the same price as the Integra! Going to look around for a local dealer. From what I have seen it blows the Integra out of the water! I was hoping you would point me in the right direction, I think you have! I will still shop around. Thank you!:D
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Your Welcome,
    you can't go wrong with B&K,it's rt ready and Lsi ready.
    Dan
  • rickfaldo
    rickfaldo Posts: 49
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Anyone have a phone number for B & K? Can't find a local dealer here in western Canada and customer service hasn't answered my e-mail in a week, hope that's not a sign.
    Thanks
    Rick
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    you can check www.bkcomp.com for their phone #...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Rick,

The phone number is 1 - 800 - 543 - 5252.

I didn't have too much success with the email thing when I had a question about the 12V trigger and 5-pin Phoenix connector on the back of my preamp but when I called they handled my question promptly with the technical service guru.

Yes, check out their website. Its very informative.

P.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The 12v triggers are awesome.They can even be reconfigured to be IR outputs.How cool is that???
    B&K is very Custom Friendly......another reason I pick B&k.
    Dan
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan,

You mentioned a while ago about you doing the upgrade from the 307 to the 507. I'm wondering what all the upgrade entails and how much they're charging for it........Details please..... :)
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    There Dan?
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Yeah Brettw22 I'm here,
    alittle late but better then never.........
    B&K is offerring the upgrade very soon.It will cost about 700.00,in that ballpark.
    B&K receivers are fully software and hardware upgradable.
    Details on exactly whats going to be offered are coming soon,I'm sweating over here.I can't wait.
    THX ULTRA2
    Pro Logic II
    Neo:6
    Discrete
    All new DAC"S
    are just a few of the things offered as I know.There's more.Basically look atthe avr507 and your avr307 will be the same in the end........how cool is it for a company to offer such a cool thing to there customers.Most would rather sell you a completely new receiver..........
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Also a good source of revenue. ....

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for how they spend thier cash but anyone besides me think that 3 - 4 grand for a receiver might be just a LITTLE excessive?

Like I said, far be it from me to pass judgement but just the thought of a receiver costing that kind of cash really makes me cringe.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    TroyD,
    one question,Why??
    Dan
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Also a good source of revenue. ....

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for how they spend thier cash but anyone besides me think that 3 - 4 grand for a receiver might be just a LITTLE excessive?

Like I said, far be it from me to pass judgement but just the thought of a receiver costing that kind of cash really makes me cringe.

BDT

I'm with that... I would definetly go seperate the whole way through for that kind of money. I'm not saying that its a waist of money its just not how I would spend it.

Looks like a GREAT product but ouch...

respectfully

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    OK,
    I would like to know of seperates that can ouperform the avr507 under 4 grand or 3200.00 online price.With THX ULTRA 2 processing.7.1 multiroom,fully programmable remote,upgradeability hardware and software,same or more inputs,power,flexability.......I couldn't find such thing.I really liked the Rotel rsp1066,RMB1075 and the RB1070 combo,but you have to add in interconnects into the price.It's right there and is less flexible,less inputs,less digital inputs no tuner,poor remote.

My opnion is that the B&K avr507 is an incredible deal for the money.Seperates are very expensive and thats what I really wanted.Sound quality isn't lost when going with the avr507.It sounds incredible.I will say it's the very best sounding receiver made.
    Dan
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    If I were to go to that level it would be with all outboard DAC's. You want seperates start with MSB.... DAC's all by itself and upgradeable!

No way can anyone convice me that a DAC with an amp or pre for that matter is good plus the MSB's have isolated power supplies ta boot. There are always tradeoffs to consider when packing components into the same enclosure!

I'm out on this 1 fellas... going drinking on this fine Friday!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    My opnion is that the B&K avr507 is an incredible deal for the money.Seperates are very expensive and thats what I really wanted.Sound quality isn't lost when going with the avr507.It sounds incredible.I will say it's the very best sounding receiver made.

Doesn't the 307 sound just like the 507, without all the extra format decoding and dacs? Overall, the two would sound virtually the same, true? Also, the 307 would be just as capable of a receiver as the 507 for driving 4 ohm speakers, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have the 307 dan?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Four GRAND for a receiver??

I'm just saying, I don't have four grand if you total up every piece of gear I own. I'm not saying it isn't cool or isn't a good value or whatever but, Jesus, a receiver that's worth about as much as a decent used car??

For the folks that have the coinage, more power to them I say. I'm just saying if I put four grand on the old Mastercharge for a receiver, that's the day I check myself into the looney bin.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited April 2003
    Options
    But, you'll be groovin' in the looney bin.:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    brettw22,
    Doesn't the 307 sound just like the 507, without all the extra format decoding and dacs? Overall, the two would sound virtually the same, true? Also, the 307 would be just as capable of a receiver as the 507 for driving 4 ohm speakers, right?
    You are correct brettw22,the avr307 and 507 are the same.The avr507 has been upgraded from the avr307.The amp section is exactlythe same.Yes and the avr307 is fully 4 ohm loaded....
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have the 307 dan?
    Yes I do.I bought a couple months ago and love more and more.I choose the avr307 over theavr507 because I got a good deal on it and I can upgrade it to the avr507 status as soon as it's offered.

TroyD,
    Money is money.You buy what you can afford.We all have budgets,some of us feel the need to own a 4 grand receiver for whatever those reasons are.Seperates go way behond what even the most expensive receiver costs.It's all about where you wanna be and how deep your wallet is.......It just never ends....the better you want the more it cost......the down side to this hobby,you can go broke easily.

Brettw22,
    here's a pic of my avr307.
    Dan
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan,

What about the price of the upgrade that you've talked about in goin from the 307 to the 507?
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It's going to be in the ballpark of 700.00.It's up in the air as they are waiting on prices from THX.It's the last step in the upgrade.B&K has already sent 3 upgraded receivers to THX for ULTRA2,the upgrade will include THX ULTRA2.
    very worth it.
    Dan
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sorry...........You did say that about the price.......cool cool

Thanks......