Anthem AVM 20 vs B&K Ref 50

Options
steve simmons
steve simmons Posts: 64
edited March 2003 in Electronics
What are the major differences between these 2 pieces? I know there is a price differential of about $500 retail. It looks like both have all the latest features. Is there anything that one has over the other?

I would like to find a preamp with 2 6 channel inputs for both SACD and DVD-A until a digital connection is provided that allows direct connection. I don't think either of these offer this feature do they?

I personally prefer the look of the B&K and it is the cheaper on as well. It also had a better remote, imo. Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into purchasing on of these?
Post edited by steve simmons on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Options
    What kind of amps are you trying to drive Steve?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Steve,
    What kind of amps are you trying to drive Steve?

This is a good question.Both Preamps have what I call a sonic signature.Depending on what amps your driving will yield a better choice/opnion as to what one to go with.No they don't have 2 6 channel inputs.The Denon AAVR5803 and Sony ES has this feature.
    Personally I perfer the REF50.B&K is really behind there products and here's one thing to consider......upgradability.B&K is fully HARDWARE and software upgradable.This year the preamp has made a lunge at higher end with offering Balanced outputs and inputs.This pre amp is totally awesome and graceful.I think for the money it can't be touched.
    If your going to go with B&K 's preamp,I think B&K amps are what you should consider owning as well.Same with the4 Anthem.Both companies build there preamps to work best with there amps.I know makes sense.....and it does.
    So My vote is for the B&K for all the right reasons.Want 2 6 channel in's,your going to have to look into Denon or SonyES.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Can't comment on the gear. But to maintain full flexibility, it may be easier to find a disc player that can do both DVD-A and SACD. That way you would only need one set of 6 channel inputs and not limit yourself to the Sony or Denon models.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Tony,
    thats exactly what I did.I bought the Pioneer Elite DV47a for not just that reason but so I didn't have to choose between SACD and DVD AUDIO.With more and more players on the Market,there's really no need to have both in seperate payers....then again unless you own Sony's 777es player,thats what I got my eye on as of late......it's one fine cd player as well as a reference SACD player
    Dan
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Mantis,
    What's you're current systems CD transport source? Do you have a dedicated CD player or are you using the Pioneer 47?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have a Pioneer Elite PDF-19 301 cd player.It broke recently.I have been using my dv47a as a cd player lately.I have been looking around at dedicated cd players.There a number of them I like.Rotels RCD1070 is nice,I like it's overall sound quality.Sony's 777es is kiler,it sounds really good and it's a SACD Player.But I really like Megachangers for convience.Sony ES makes really good sounding megachangers and I like em alot.but I have been patiently looking waiting to do the right thing.I mihgt end up buying both.I need a megachanger for my multiroom system,I might even buy 2 or 3 depending......But for 2 channel the Sony 777es is looking hot....it's expensive at 3500.00 but man it's built like a tank with sound quality to back up the high price.
    I'm in disarray with cd players right now,I have no Idea what I'm gonna end up with.......Really hopeing for someone to release a megachanger SACD player.....that would be bad.
    Dan
  • steve simmons
    steve simmons Posts: 64
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sorry, didn't mean to start a post and then vanish but work and family called. No amp at this time. I am considering either Outlaw or Parasound if I buy new. That could change if I found a good deal on a used amp. I like the B&K- the Anthem looks to busy/industrial??? for me. The B&K is simple and onobtrusive looking. I like that. Sound wise I have not been able to spend much demo time with either one although I have heard both.

I didn't think either one had 2 6 channel inputs. I have a Yamaha DVD CX1 DVD changer that I bought last fall and am not going to get rid of it so to get SACD I need another player. I can wait on SACD although more titles are coming out that I am interested in.

I am going to try and spend some time next weekend with the B&K and see what I think.