Kimber Cable (4PR) terminations?

Options
tryrrthg
tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
I just scored a brand new 10 foot pair of Kimber 4PR speaker wire on audiogon for $20. They are unterminated and I would like to terminate them. My question is what should I use? Banana or spades? I would like to keep the cost under $20 or so for all 4 connectors. I have Dynaudio 1.3mkII speakers. they have WBT binding posts, so I'm not sure what size spade or bananas they will take (mabye Mantis can help me out here?).

Also where can I get them? Audio advisor has these but they're shipping charges are outrageous for four little connectors!

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ANAGS4&product_name=Gold%20Spades%20-%20Set%20of%20Four

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ANAGB4&product_name=Gold%20Bananas%20-%20Set%20of%20Four

I don't have access to a soldering iron so I'd prefer some solderless connectors... I've been surching all morning and haven't found much...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
Post edited by tryrrthg on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    tryrrthg,
    thats a good price on 4pr kimber.You know that 4pr was/is there very first built Kimberkable wire?t's as ugly of a color wire as I have ever seen.But good performance is what Kimber is all about.
    Now owning the Dynaudio 1.3's well I think you undershot your wire just a bit.Just to let you know with those speakers you should have Monocle X premade 2 conductor wire.If bulk is your game then 8tc would be the perferred choice.

Since you scored a good deal here,lets roll on that and get you into the correct ends.You have 2 choices as I see it.Soder is not nessary when I nstalling Kimber ends.The Spades for your speakers are PM-25's.They are a crimp on with a heat shrink tube.You'll need a heat gun or a lighter to shrink the tubing.
    Now to match your binding posts on the Dynaudios,I would use the Sandwich Spade made by WBT which is a screw on locking end.#5108320.Standard 1/4 inch is all thats needed.

Price????spend the money man,your speakers and the saving you saved from the wire purchase(which is way under the level of your speakers)you should feel free to drop the nessary cash to terminate the wires correctly.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tryrrthg
    edited March 2003
    Options
    thanks mantis!

I'm only using this wire to "get me by" I spent my last dime on these speakers (got them used for less than half the price of a new pair and they're only 5 months old). I'm saving up for a good amp. Currently I have a $300 yamaha receiver driving them because I can't afford an amp at the moment (damn engagement ring!). So the Kimber will be a needed step up from the 12ga Home Depot wire I've got now.

I'm planning on some better wire in the future but don't ever plan on going much more than 150 bucks (used). I can't justify spending that kind of cash on wire... I'd rather spend the money on room treatments or gear that will make a more significant difference/upgrade...

Any suggestions for an pre/amp combo, or integrated for around $1000-1500 (used of course)? I've been eyeing the Arcam A85 for a while now. There is a great review of the Arcam that they used the 1.3mkII as the speakers:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/arcam_a85.htm

I also like the reviews of McCormack gear. Thought about a Krell KAV300i but heard a lot of QC issues (blown fuses etc), and I've never heard Krell before. The shop here never has any on display.

I don't really crank it up too much so a lot of watts aren't all that important but I do like to get them thumping pretty good! And boy do they THUMP for such a little speaker!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I can't say this enough ...Matching Bro matching.You have one of the very best bookshelf speakers ever made.You really should look into Mark Levinston or Krell.

Now I see the Price you wanna spend and I know Rotel sound good with Dynaudio.
    I would look into Rotels Rc1070 and the RB1080.This should give you a good entry level seperates for your Amazing speakers.
    Wire I"m sure The 4pr Kimbers destroy the tonal quality of the Home Depot wire........thats a really big step forward.Get the spades,you'll be happy.

Good luck my man......let me know how you make out.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    ATC,
    good points but homey don't wana spend the dough......he should but It doesn't seem willing.

Rotel is the cheap alternative and Proven with Dynaudio.Musical Fidelity is great stuff but not proven with Dynaudio.Listen and see.
    Dan
  • tryrrthg
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I know that I should spend the cash, but wanting to and being able to are two different things. And I can get a WHOLE lot of amp for $1500 used! I'm getting married in the fall so any extra cash doesn't exist at the moment. The better half says I MIGHT get some of the wedding money to buy a new toy! one can only hope!

I got a steal on the Dyn's that I couldn't pass up ($1200, and they're 5 months old). A friend of mine has the Dynaudio 1.3SE and he gets pretty good results with NAD silver series which is not all that expensive.

I've heard the Arcam A85 with the Dyn 1.8mkII and it was a pretty nice combo. If I go with Arcam I'd like to step it up the the new FMJ A32 but I never see them on the used market. Read the review I linked in my first post. The Arcam and the Dyn 1.3mkII is a killer combo. I do have my eye on the Krell integrated but I don't have anywhere to audition so I'd have to buy it and then sell it if I didn't like it (although I'm sure I wouldn't have trouble selling). McCormack is no slouch either.

Mantis, ever heard Pass Labs and Dyns? I've looked into the Aelph 3 or Aelph 30 also. low watts but pure class A...
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No I haven't.
    Dynaudio speakers in general are very flexable but are a 4 ohm load.Getting married huh.........cool.
    Dan
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Great speakers man!

Are you opposed to bare-wiring for any particular reason?
    I've found the Kimber spades mentioned, but @ 16.50/pair + S/H. I honestly doubt there would be a noticable difference between these and Radio Shack spades @ $8 (or so) for 4 pr.

Then again I usually try my best to stick with bare wire. More surface area, better bite, cheaper, etc. The squirrel goes down the tree, runs around twice, and gets smashed at the bottom. Nail clippers clean up any residue.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • tryrrthg
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm not opposed to bare wiring, I just thought I'd prevent some oxidation, and spades are easier to work with.
    Since the wire was so cheap I thought I'd spend a little more for some terminations. I should probably just put the extra cash in my amp fund!

I'm SO HAPPY with my speakers now! I can't wait to get some REAL juice behind them. I told my fiance last night that owning my speakers without a good amp is like going to Italy and sitting in your hotel room all day looking out the window (she likes to travel). She didn't think that analogy was a very good one, but I thought it was perfect!

Thanks for the help guys!
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I think you hit it right on the nose my man.......
    Dan