Surround speaker placement question

Options
mcjudd
mcjudd Posts: 14
edited March 2003 in Speakers
I have a question about speaker placement for my surrounds on my angled walls. My home came w/ a 380 sq. ft. unfinished bonus room so I decided to turn it into a home theater. I just finished putting up the sheetrock, mudding, sanding and all that fun stuff. I pre-wired the room before I put up the sheetrock for 2 side and 2 back surround speakers. My problem is my side walls go up at an angle after about 4 ft. The ceiling is about 8 ft high. I've read that the best place to put side surrounds is a couple of feet above the seating area pointing directly over the seating area. But if I put the speakers higher than 4 ft the angled walls will face the speakers down toward the seeting area. I currently have the side speaker wire coming out of the walls at the top of the flat area which is about 4 ft high. I was wondering if anyone knows what the best setup would be. Leave them at 4ft where the speakers would be level or move them up higher and have the speakers angled down? Since my room was prewired I really can't do much experimentation without tearing up the wall. Thanks for any advice!
Post edited by mcjudd on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't see any reason you have to make the choice... there is absolutely no reason whatsoever - at least in terms of the physics of construction - why you can't locate the speakers on the angled part of the wall but still have them facing horizontally. Perhaps the room dimensions prevent you from doing so - maybe the speakers would stick out too far or something. But if this is a dedicated listening room, just do it.

Easy would be two wooden triangles mounted to the wall that create a vertical surface on which to mount the speakers. Adding a shelf to hold the speaker would also be easy and would serve. Probably easier yet would be two metal brackets. They'd come bent at 90 degrees.. but just change the angle.

If you change your mind about cutting sheetrock, you could create cubbies that at least partially hold the speakers and get them back out of the way.. a simple shelf at the bottom of each cubbie would serve to hold the speaker.

Bottom line.. I don't see you have to choose.
  • mcjudd
    mcjudd Posts: 14
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have considered some type of speaker shelf but I'm worried it might need to come to far out on the wall to make the speaker level. I guess I'll have to look at that when I get my speakers. I was thinking of getting some used ls/fx surround speakers and since they have sound coming from the sides instead of the front would it matter if they were pointed down?
  • bensontm
    bensontm Posts: 31
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have always liked the idea of tower speakers set up on a low solid platform. I have used this technique with success in my setup. Maybe it is not everyones cup of tea.

I just purchased an Infinity Entra Two Center channel speaker for the top my television which is surrounded by two Entra Three towers sitting on the floor. I have two more Entra Three towers for my left and right surrounds which I have aimed at each other. I then took the CS400i Polk 250 watt center speaker and placed it between the surround Entra Three tower speakers on the floor facing directly upwards. Maybe those sound waves are crashing into each other in the back and diffusing all over the place. The Polk center was too powerful in the front center position as all the other speakers are 150 watt. I am now in hog heaven. The Polk really works well in this position and I can adjust my Onkyo 600 receiver to 0 setting for all speakers, except for the subwoofer, which is set to -3 per Doctor Specs directive. Ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh.
    "Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
    Subwoofer - Velodyne CHT-12
    Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
    Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
    Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
    Surround Center - Polk CS400i
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    WWW. DOLBY.COM HAS MANY DIAGRAMS OF SPEAKER PLACEMENT
    TO GIVE ONE THOUGHTS OF AIMING AND BOUNCING SOUND WAVES. I LIKE TO LET MY EARS BE THE GUIDE.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • MichaelJ
    MichaelJ Posts: 47
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bensontm
    TO GIVE ONE THOUGHTS OF AIMING AND BOUNCING SOUND WAVES. I LIKE TO LET MY EARS BE THE GUIDE.

bensontm
    I notice you have a Velodyne CHT-12. I am still deciding on a sub-woofer, so was wondering ... when you bought the CHT-12, did you also consider the VLF-1012. What was the difference. What made you pick the CHT-12.
    Thanks ............. MichaelJ
    Mains: RTA15T
    Front Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Sufwoofer: Definitive Tech SuperCube I
    Audio: Onkyo TX-SR600
    HDTV: Mitsubishi 55" wide screen
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The CC where I purchased my Velodyne has a limited selection of speakers and amounts of speakers that they stock. They only carried the CHT-12 and CHT-15.

I have been satisfied with the CHT-12 although I would definitely compare when given the opportunity.

Apology for not having futher information on the comparison.

I thought of stacking two CHT-12's on top of each other if the CHT-12 goes on sales. Presently the CHT-15 is on sale although I thought it would not be a good thing to stack a CHT-12 on top of a CHT-15 because of the sound save differences. I have limited space on top of everything else. My CHT-12 is six feet in front of my listening area to the left of my television. The CHT-12 does give quite performance at this range for the money.

Anybody else have comments on stacking these subwoofers and whether there is a law of diminishing returns on the benefits of moving to two subwoofers instead of one?

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • MichaelJ
    MichaelJ Posts: 47
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The CC where I purchased my Velodyne has a limited selection of speakers and amounts of speakers that they stock. They only carried the CHT-12 and CHT-15.

I have been satisfied with the CHT-12 although I would definitely compare when given the opportunity.

I thought of stacking two CHT-12's on top of each other if the CHT-12 goes on sales. Presently the CHT-15 is on sale although I thought it would not be a good thing to stack a CHT-12 on top of a CHT-15 because of the sound save differences. I have limited space on top of everything else. My CHT-12 is six feet in front of my listening area to the left of my television. The CHT-12 does give quite performance at this range for the money.

Anybody else have comments on stacking these subwoofers and whether there is a law of diminishing returns on the benefits of moving to two subwoofers instead of one?

Thanks for the information bensontm.
    Is your subwoofer placed near the corner in your room? Why would you stack two subwoofers rather than placing one on each side of the room, or just buying one larger one.

Also, if you are looking for more subwoofer advice, I think there is a sub-woofer forum in clubpolk.
    Mains: RTA15T
    Front Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Sufwoofer: Definitive Tech SuperCube I
    Audio: Onkyo TX-SR600
    HDTV: Mitsubishi 55" wide screen
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited March 2003
    Options
    What about getting a pair of outdoor speakers (as the come which brackets) and mounting them horiziontally on the angled part? I've seen it done and they worked well.
  • NINjesse
    NINjesse Posts: 12
    edited March 2003
    Options
    just another option if it hasnt been offered yet. if you want in wall speakers, you could use some sort of a shim ( a fabricated block that would help angle them towards your seeting position)
    in all acuallity if it was on an angled cieling with a nicly shime speaker set up it may look pretty nice. i think at least in my mind it does.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Shims would be a problem, due to the fact that the brackets are configured for drywall thicknesses. I think that it is a workable idea, but will require some custom fabrication along with it.That's cool also, makes your system look like it had more love :)

Polk makes an aimable tweeter for their inwalls, thats a nice feature for installation oddities.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    MichaelJ
    Polkie

quote:

bensontm
    I notice you have a Velodyne CHT-12. I am still deciding on a sub-woofer, so was wondering ... when you bought the CHT-12, did you also consider the VLF-1012. What was the difference. What made you pick the CHT-12.
    Thanks ............. MichaelJ

Re: Can only say that I am satisfied with the CHT-12.
    quote:

Thanks for the information bensontm.
    Is your subwoofer placed near the corner in your room? Why would you stack two subwoofers rather than placing one on each side of the room, or just buying one larger one.

Also, if you are looking for more subwoofer advice, I think there is a sub-woofer forum in clubpolk.

" " " " " " " " " " " " "" "

Yes, you just click on Forums at the top of the page and scroll down the page and you will see subwoofer & basemanagement? I have a post there about this issue. Also, subwoofers are speakers.:o :o

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver