7B problems- please help

Mproost
Mproost Posts: 10
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have recently inherited a pair of 7B's. One of the speakers sounds great. The other has issues. There is no sound at all coming from the tweeter and the midwoofer sounds slightly muffled to my mostly untrained ear. I was wondering where to start to try to fix them. ?Tweeters or crossover? Is there a way to troubleshoot what exactly is bad in the speaker?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Post edited by Mproost on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited March 2003
    Mproost,

Welcome to the forum.

To start, swap the tweeters and report back what happens.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mproost
    edited March 2003
    Thanks F1Nut!

Thanks for being logical:) I swapped the tweeters and no sound on the bad speaker. So, let me see here... carry the 1......the crossover is bad since the tweeter sounds great in the good box. right?

Any advice on swapping that out? or good places to check to find one?

thanks again!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Ok, next check all connections on that "bad" speaker, if you've still got the problem then call Ken at Polk Customer Service. He will probably be able to hook you up. It's a easy swap out.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Welcome to the Forum!

Once you have a driver out, check the tightness of all internal connections. Sometimes things loosen up over the years, especially when shipping is considered.

It may just be a loose connection. If not Polk has great customer service. Tell them you're a member and get a discount.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new speakers. Great choice.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Mproost
    edited March 2003
    Thanks for the advice. I checked all the internal connections on the drivers themselves they seem very tight. I even cleaned them a little and put them back. On the crossover side they are soldered to the board. It looks like the crossover has been replaced. It has pencil writing on it and a date of 11/4/84. The one on the good speaker doesn't have any pencil writing and the board is a little darker color. I think these speakers are older than '84 anyways. Are there any more internal connections I'm missing? I can't see any. Thanks for you help. I have heard that Polk has excellent customer Service and I will be calling on Monday.

On an unrelated issue. Does anyone know if I could put these drivers in new boxes? Can I just keep the interior volume the same, or do all the interior dimensions have to be the same. I just love the natural booming sound from the good speaker. They don't seem as accurate or bright as newer Polks though. These would be perfect in my bedroom but they are ugly boxes. I'd like to build boxes to match the bedroom furniture I built. Thanks Again!
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    New boxes should be fine if you stick to the same internal volume, and I'd probably stick to Polk's driver layout, just to be safe. Consider recovering the boxes.. either with a thin wood veneer or vinyl wrap (available from places like Parts Express).
  • Mproost
    edited March 2003
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I have decided to use thin wood veneer on the boxes.

On the driver/crossover issue: I was the fuse!! LOL!!!I visually inspected it three times and it looked fine. Apparnetly it is solely a tweeter fuse! I thought it was for bot hdrivers and since the mid/woofer worked i thought it was good. As I was about to call Polk and order the crossover and my budy pulled the fuse from the good cabinet and put it in the malfunctioning cabinet and ***surprise*** it worked. So, for $1.50 (with a backup fuse) the speakers sound great!!!

Thanks again for all your help. There I went again making it more complicated than it needed to be. Kinda like my postings ... *sigh*

Matt
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    All's well that ends well.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

President of Club Polk