Humming Noise

Options
izafar
izafar Posts: 814
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from my speakers when no source is playing and the volume is fully turned on. It is a mixture of hiss and hum. I checked all my wires and they all are securely connected. Suspecting it on my DBS system, when I unhook the audio input coming from DBS the humming noise stops but the hiss remains.

Any ideas how to deal with this situation. I am running Denon AVR2802 as PrePro along with Carver AV405 multichanel amp. I tired hooking my speakers directly to denon but got the same results.

Thanks,
izafar
-izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
Post edited by izafar on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by izafar
    Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from my speakers when no source is playing and the volume is fully turned on. It is a mixture of hiss and hum. I checked all my wires and they all are securely connected. Suspecting it on my DBS system, when I unhook the audio input coming from DBS the humming noise stops but the hiss remains.

Any ideas how to deal with this situation. I am running Denon AVR2802 as PrePro along with Carver AV405 multichanel amp. I tired hooking my speakers directly to denon but got the same results.

Thanks,
    izafar

The HISSING is THD. Nothing you can do about that other than turn the volume down or get an amp with a lower THD.

As for the hum, sounds like the good ole' 60Hz ground loop hum. You can try to fix this by plugging the DBS and reciever into the same powerstrip so that they share the same ground line. Alternatively, a good Monster Power conditioner may help as well.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    spend a $1 and get a cheater plug thats it!

scott:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by izafar

Thanks,
    izafar

I think it's a bigger problem that just a cheater plug. I have a similar problem with one of my fronts. the left is a RT1000i. and when I have the receiver and amp powered up with nothing coming into it audio-wise there is a hiss from the tweeter. BUT when I plug the .5meter intereconnect from the receiver to the amp the hiss stops . like it's being grounded at that point whereby if I unplug the interconnets it give me hiss again. strange, but true. izafar you may have a similar problem as me.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I am not that worried of the hiss, as that it might be inherent to the amp. But, hum, we shoukd definetely be able to get rid off.

Tony: I am running all my gear from a single power strip.

scott: what is cheater plug and how it is used?.

Danger Boy:My amp and reciever are always connected and hum is presnt from both the amp and reciver's speaker level output. It is only stopped when I unplug the line level cable from DBS to Reciever. Do I need to add filter on this cable?
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    yeah you may need to add some kind of filter. Now that I think of it.. i get both a hum and a hiss from my tweeter. but it's not that noticeable when i am listening to music or movies. only when i put my ear up to said tweeter. strange. but none of my other speakers make that sound.

I guess my ? would be.. why this only affects certain speakers and not all in the system?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: