Do you have a DAC in your rack?

Options
13»

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nice one, Al! look forward to read your review after you had more time to audition it. Next is interconnect for it, yes?

Tour,
    where's the details on your new DAC, bud? did you get them of ebay?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yup, good interconnects are next. Can you recommend a decent pair for under $100? I've become smitten with IXOS cables recently. but i'm open to trying other brands as well. Price must be $100 or less for a 1 meter length. A 1.5 meter length would actually be better.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ah, by now, most members would know what I am going to say next......Signal Cable Analog Two with Bullet Plug option! Should cost you $54 (for a 3 ft, roughly 1 meter, it's $49 for the first 2 ft, $5 thereafter per ft) + $25 for the bullet plugs. A total+ shipping ($5) of $79 for a pair. Give it a try, 30 days money back, you've got a 5 buck (USPS stamps) in home cost if you dont like it...

I am very happy with it. Tried the bullet plug for my 2ch system, improved the low quite a bit. There are several devotees on analog two in this forum: gidrah, pjdami, russman, troyd, etc. Analog two w/o bullet plug is great already, the plug improved and tighten the low and the top end....(on my system). Check it out! (www.signalcable.com)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah, mine don't have the bullets. Actually I'm gonna try to build something similar. Time to do materials testing.

Mantis has some Transparent ICs in the Flea Market. I wish I could buy them, but I wouldn't be able to for a few weeks.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    At this point I had to turn down my sub way down... as it seemed the Cal Audio Alpha tube DAC added a little, not much more bass.

Its funny that you mention this because I believe my Audio Research DAC5 adds a more accurate and deap BASS where my Cal is missing.

Things that make ya say Hmmmmmm.....

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Now that i've had this DAC for a few weeks.. and have listened to a lot of CD's with it.

I find too that the bass has been removed somewhat too. I play the same CD without the DAC and the bass is there again. It's not a huge difference in bass loss.. but enough to take notice.

I do like the way things are so much clearer when i'm using the DAC. Astounding how much music I was missing. I thought what I was hearing before the DAC was pretty open.. but then the DAC took it even further.

I still need to order those interconnets.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm too drunk to read the enitre post again, but if anyone is using an optical cable, I suggest you try a good coax.

God I hate optical. What a whip.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.