psw 404

Options
tdixon
tdixon Posts: 3
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
i just bought 4 rti38 ,1 csi30 and a psw 404 sub. love the system but my sub dose not seem to be able to handle to amps power. my receiver has a lfe output that i run around 80 to 100 hz. AT low volume the psw plays great. but when played at half volume it distorts and pops. the psw volume is at half also. my receiver is an onkyo tx rx-600. IS this typical of this sub or am i a bass hog?
Post edited by tdixon on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Turn it down a notch* - Dr. Evil
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • tdixon
    edited March 2003
    Options
    shouldn't the woofer be able to handle what the attached amp put out?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tdixon
    but when played at half volume it distorts and pops. the psw volume is at half also.

Am I reading this right? You have the sub volume (on the back of the sub) set to halfway, AND you are listening with the receiver volume set to halfway?

-Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tdixon
    edited March 2003
    Options
    yes but remember i running off the receivers lfe at 80 to 100 hz
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Turn the crossover down to about 70, then turn the volume down, as I said above --

*SCOTTY, TuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuRRRRRRnnnnnnnnnn it doouuuuwwwnn a notcshhhh* - Dr. Evil
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2003
    Options
    tdixon,

When you say your Onkyo is "halfway" are you exceeding 75 - 80 on the volume display? I would say that is pretty much maxed out for that particular receiver and you should not play your music any higher or you can clip out and damage your speakers.

If you are using the LFE make sure that all of your speakers are set to "small". This setup works best with the Onkyo.

You should also consider purchasing an analog SPL meter at Radio Shack for $35 and then adjust the gain on your sub so that it is the same "loudness" as the rest of your speakers. Try this as a baseline. Some people on this forum like to turn it down a couple of dbs from there.

Finally, make sure that your sub level output from your receiver is set to 0 db. Dr. Spec, who is known as the bass guru on this forum, recommends -3 db to 0 db max on the receiver level output for the sub.

One more thing, did you flip the phase switch on the back of the sub back and forth and listen for which one sounds better (better bass)?

P.