kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    cool.. you make some very good points.. i guess if you want reviews on what you are planning to buy you should visit audioreview.com for products and makes an models. from real world users. just my dos centavos
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    If that is the case then why would anyone ever buy or read a A/V mag or website? Why would anyone want to go to something like CES? Part of any hobby is the "bench racing" (to use an automotive term). Look at something...what will it do...how does it compare...get other peoples opinions...BS. Why do you have to be ready to "buy" before you can get opinions or reviews. If it is a "Hobby" then I think you want to keep up with all that is going on...not just what you are ready to buy. That is called shopping...which my wife likes...and I don't.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    I look at audio review & epinions, but no way should you only rely on them. Too many of those reviews (esp where products that are available at dept stores, Best Buy, etc, are concerned) have comments like "This rocks!" or "Sucks!", w/out giving any idea why they do/don't like the product. Circuit City reviews often have the same problem. I think it's great that those sites exist, but sometimes forums like this give you comments/perspectives that you don't get in rigidly formatted review posts.

I really appreciated responses I got to a post when I all I was doing was considering a turntable. I decided not to do it because of the cost of rebuilding my vinyl collection, not because I have no interest in a turntable or couldn't afford a decent entry-level machine.

People who like to talk about this stuff can give you insights that you don't always get from a straight review. If certain types of posts irritate you, ignore them.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    I rarely post nething, about buying because I am on a 30 dollar a week or less budget, aint much buying going into that! LOL! Although, When I get down to what I want to spend ill do my looking and searching. I plan on buying 1 more GFA-545II adcom amp, and 1 GFA-535II adcom amp. I also plan on buying the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 (which will be my next purchase) All I need is 100 or so dollars and Im there. But yeah, I agree with ya - dont post this and this if ur not willing to move past this and this. Do some research, brake it down then post.......newayz.....im gone! LOL!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    I posted on a WTB f/x500i and ended up buying wallstreet's f/x1000's instead.

My only other post about buying anything was on the Onkyo vs. Denon. Will wait for my tax return for that one.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    some of you missed the point, Hey do what you want.. I am not talking about the hobby in general my friends, and most of the long termers don't do this, so don't feel all guilty... I was just making a statment, alot of the newer guys seem to do this.. But ok what ever, you just missed the point here guys, By all means ask everyone what is what and how something works, i am not saying not to, I mean a few people are always saying how is this and how is that and never buying,, Am i not correct here??

Don't always shoot the messenger, just a comment i made and take it as you feel fit. Thats all.

Shack,
    you didn't read a thing i said.. I said people around here didn't i? Not everyone who ever buys gear, I said its a normal thing for people to never buy anything ..... and ask for 1000 reviews.. Thats what i said, I read reviews when i want something or might be buying it, True... i may never buy it, That's different from when the same person asks about receivers one day, then amps the next.. just chaulking up posts or what i don't know, and never buying anything.. or even demo'ing the gear somewhere...

enough said sorry for the post, seems i make an unpopular post here
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    I agree that it's nice to see feedback when the buying decision is made and there are plenty that have done this... just gives a little back.

But inaction on buying gear doesn't bother as much as inaction in trying simple advice to try to improve the sound of, or overcome a problem with, what they already have. When someone asks and then argues with the responses they get, it's aggravating as hell. But again for every one of these there are a couple of ones who feedback the results and thank those that offered the workable solution.

The worst, however, are the few that just ask this or that to stir things up, and then sit back and enjoy watching the wasted efforts of others trying to help just spin off into space. At least these folks become known with time. And someday when they have a real problem, they'll wonder why no one is helping them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by faster100
    1Shack,
    you didn't read a thing i said.. I said people around here didn't i? Not everyone who ever buys gear, 1

Sure I read your post. I always read the topic before I post and I understand exactly what you were trying to say. The word for today is analogy..which is what I was using to explain how my position differed from yours. No more...no less...just different...and thats ok. We all have our pet peeves.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    The worst, however, are the few that just ask this or that to stir things up, and then sit back and enjoy watching the wasted efforts of others trying to help just spin off into space. At least these folks become known with time. And someday when they have a real problem, they'll wonder why no one is helping them.

Do you have anybody in particular that comes to mind?

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    i think the olny thing i have asked about on here that i dident buy yet was a b&k 7 channel amp and i just asked if b&k was good or not. but i will fix that. my next buy will be a 200 wat 7 channel b&k amp unless i can get a better amp for less.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why no...:supermad:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack

LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Well Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I'm sorry faster!
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8357

It's just that I live in the middle of Amish Country and demoing stuff out here is a frickin adventure. I just wondered if anybody else already had it and what they thought about it. speechless-smiley-004.gif
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by rs159
    It's just that I live in the middle of Amish Country and demoing stuff out here is a frickin adventure.
    But on the bright side what audio stores there are shouldn't be that crowded...:)

You're cool rs...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Man, I bet their electric bills are low....
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    sheesh, i didn't think we would get a pissing match going in my thread, anybody feeling guilty or what??????

RS159,
    any reason for your post to me???? I wasn't speaking of you..

just end the thread now i suppose so we all don't get all bundled up here,

Had it been Russman saying (in his words) stop all the effin posting about gear unless your gonna buy something, you all woulda said, Ok OK sorry
    Like when he said stop all the frickin long sigs, everyone including me changed our sigs to short ones.... Correct??

So i thought i did the secret handshake thing after 500 post, and that entitled me to write threads like this and get support.. seems everyone except spec, is getting a guilty conscious and feeling the need to post..

Don't like the topic, pass it up..... easy right?? I refuse to start a pissing match in my threads like all the others turn into.. OK
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    no no, keep this thread up - hall of shame here WE COME!!!!!! argue some more! LOL!

Faster you are entitled to this secret handshake that I guess is still not known to me, you sit here and are umm....exact. Russ just says stop this effin mess. No one wants to hear a essay. lol! just my 2 cents
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    Hey no hall of shame for my post!!!!!!! tell these people to stop pissing on good posts, they are just mad i said it first!!! :):):)

Good day all......
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Sorry faster, I just got that idea b/c it was the first thing you said after responding to my thread. I do have every intention of buying, and as soon as I get the digital camera I'll have the system in the showcase. I wasn't asking for a review of every piece of equipment made since 1950 or anyting, I searched around, narrowed down my choices, and I decided on the Outlaw. I wanted to check here if somebody had it and what they thought of it. Let's try to keep our flies zipped up...
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    At the very worst, even if the person that asks all the questions about the amps or receivers in question doesn't buy them, there's at least a thread that others can reference if they find themselves in the same situation down the road.

I hear what you're saying faster. There do seem to be a lot of those posts, but I fall into the category of not reading the thread if I'm not personally curious.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Faster,
    Easy bud... I don't think I could have been any more with you. Just pointed out that:
    - there are grateful folks who follow thru out there, too; and
    - there are worse offenses in my mind than not buying equipment.
    Thought I was building on your thought rather than contradicting you.

As for others I don't see any outright attack on your position, just reasonable, respectful "not-true-for-me" disagreement, and you have to expect and respect that. No one, not even Russ, gets to post threads with "stay the F out unless you agree with me" impunity. (Matter of fact I’d say “especially not” Russ ;) .)

As for rs, yeah he felt a little singled out, and others have chipped in "not me's" or "I only did it once" posts. But they didn’t do it with attacks; they did it with explanations. To me, that's a sign that you have a some standing here.

As for the rest, yeah we had a little fun along the way. Shouldn’t be a surprise, it’s Club Polk SOP, but it was all in the vein of supporting your extended theme… OK?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2003
    I pretty much just don't reply. I've gotten tired of doing the "Listen for yourself, check features that are most needed, then consider the price. Keep in mind any future upgrades." reply. I enjoy reading the replies to any given component or brand, but if I can't give an honest answer then I'll wait for it to become 3 page arguement.

One thing brought up is the often lack of closier. I get drawn into more threads than I care to admit. But nothing sucks worse than not finding out the final decision. Providing one has been made. I'm guilty of starting such threads with no immediate purchase in mind. Then again, I've asked for info/opinions and ended up with a purchase.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    you guys make very good points, agreed!! I am glad some of the sensible members put things into perspective for me, instead of thinking i was singleing people out.. Their are quite a few people on here i respect, and you will see i cut to the chase with my idea's and outlooks on things, although i don't make personal attacks,getting knee deep in the "usual" argument.. or call people out... I like to make general points.. I know myself sometimes if your semi guilty of somthing sometimes you feel singled out and think it's directed towards you.. Not the case with me and i usually will never say names....

Lets just have a good debate, I like to think i have a good following so far on here and don't want discredit for a measley post like this, Cheers Guys
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    You guys are funny..........relax......I didn't even post yeat ..............waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

OK OK

faster100,
    I think you bring up some good points.Alot of "asking" goes on around here.I get tired sometimes of answering some questions that are ......well......you know exactly what I'm talking about..BUT....
    Alot of people are new at this stuff.It's very intimidating.There is so much product on the market,even I as the so called "PRO" get intimidated from time to time.
    Ok i guess i have seen enough which should i get posts that i can't count on 2 hands, whats the percentage of these people who actually buy the stuff??
    Just in general,window shopping.Thinking......I do this alot.I might be classified as a different kind of shopper as I'm super picky on what I actually buy.Hell I went round and round with speakers.I couldn't make up my mind to save my life.
    Ok i want this receiver and that dvd and that amp, which to buy,, how much to spend, and ah i changed my mind...
    Dude I am completely guilty of this ALLDAY!!!I murder this.Example.....when I started to loose intrest in my rt system,I decided that they just wern't for me,so I ventured out in the lovely world of speakers.Man what a huge world it is.I work for Tweeter so naturally I started there.It was the Sonus Fabers and Vienna at that time,then I wanted the Vienna's.I had my heart set on them,but alot of other speakers caught my eye.Dynaudio came into my life and Polk Lsi as well.Hell of a battle and I got alot of crap IN HERE about all that.In the end I picked the LSI's for alot of different reasons.
    We never see anybody buy anything, I have asked this question maybe once about receivers, But some people its a everyday thing, what speakers, what amps, Now i'm not saying it matters when someone asks is this a good model xxxxxx.
    I hear yeah here dude.It's like you spend time helping this person and then they don't act on anything....could feel like a waste of time.....but it's not.Again I'm also guity of this as I am one hell of a picky shopper.Just look at my amp/pre/receveri upgrade saga....CLASSIC!!!!
    It's when they make it seem as though they have cash in hand, did the demo and are just finishing up with us to seal the deal.. and then go buy ut, NOPE they just want a endless review of every freakin model amp and receiver and speakers out there with no intent to spend the money or buy atleast something..
    AGREED!!!BUt I do this 2.Alot.I read my face off,demo my face off and alot of times end up with nothing............but in the last 4 years I have owned 3 thousand dollar class receivers,one used set of seperates and now a 3500.00 flagship reciever...go figure.
    Ok it really doesn't matter, But when ya want reviews then go buy afterwards, or update us, yes i bought this, or guys i changed my mind and got this.. so we know all the 7 pages weren't wasted on yet another pipe dream of gear you don't even plan to buy...
    Yep I hear that........kinda feel the same way.You won't find me doing this as now I even take pics of my new ****,it's a pride/proud thing.Wanna spead my joy around.
    But you know what??I still have pipe dreams.........
    Ok now have fun and buy something, I got a new truck, i asked a few people what they thought,(Mantis only i guess) but i bought it, So Next................
    Yep and what a beautiful truck you havemy man.......I'm happy I helped with that in my super small way.It's a good truck and I think you'll love it for years.I bought mine new and it's been over over 2years......still lovin it.....

In my opnion your always going to get a very mixed crowd.Take the good with the bad(mostly me of course).SOme people like to window shop,some waste alot of money,then there's me.....;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    as i said, i understand this isn't intended for everyone... and you don't have to be ready to buy to ask questions.... I know this also... Just sometimes it gets repetitive to hear and never get joy from someone getting something new that maybe you reccomended....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    yeah, well it's out of my system now, so lets carry on, Nothing more to see here :)

Thanks for all the input, good or bad
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    Man there is always something the SEE!!!!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    what on the club polk forum,???? LOL

Beat this guys, come on this dead horse, after 2 pages its beating it, :)

If it weren't so interesting you wouldn't be still posting to this
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    faster,
    I said I thought you had some standing here. Doesn't mean you have the power to stop a thread... :)
    That's reserved for the "gods" on "Mt. Polkympus"... oh this could be good... :rolleyes:

If we assume Mathew is Zeus, then...
    Ken = Apollo (sheds light on our darkness)
    Lauren = Aphrodite (goddess of beauty and grace, just an e-mail impression)
    Helen = Athena (goddess of the hunt... as in for parts, etc)

and last, but not least, there's...

Micah - toss up here between Bacchus and Pan... :D but I lean toward the latter…
    That CES pic goat-tee just fits the image too well

So faster, if you can't stop it, you can always divert/ derail it…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• faster100
    edited March 2003
    Hey really, i don't care if it ends, I have better things to do, I am just bored and posting just to post, get the numbers up maybe... hehehe!!! LOL

It's not that bad a thread so it's ok, go ahead say it.. It's ok.. now breath, it's an ok thread and we will make it past this...

I am kidding, My wife has a migraine, and its very silent in here.. just pecking away at the keyboard//
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp