RTA 15TL Tweeters

LPN
LPN Posts: 42
edited June 2009 in Vintage Speakers
I have recently purchased a pair of Polk Audio RTA 15TL's (1991 issue). I noticed almost right away one of the tweeters was not working and today the second (left channel) suddenly quit working. I checked the wiring and everything seemed OK on a preliminary check. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Any help is greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance. (guitar for scale only)

Cheers, Barrie.
Post edited by LPN on

Comments

• seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,242
    edited May 2009
    Uhhhhhhhhh, well, you had 18 year old tweeters and they just crapped out?

Call Polk CS and they should be able to set you up with replacements. Tell them your are part of Club Polk for free shipping and 20% off. Actually I'm not positive about free shipping north of the border, but down below here it would be.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,359
    edited May 2009
    Welcome to Club Polk. The replacement tweeters (RDO198-1) form Polk are considered an upgrade. They are a silk dome and present a smoother and more open sound stage than the original SL3000. The RTA15TL's are well worth fixing. I have their little sister (RTA11TL) and will not part with them.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited May 2009
    I want some 15TLs! I bet those things are awesome! Do those have the polyswitch? That could be the problem:confused:
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • seeclear
    edited May 2009
    Good call Shark. According to the schematic, older models have a polyswitch on the tweeter side of the crossover. At www.polksda.com, it shows the production run was '90 to '92, so does anyone know if circa '91 would be "older" or "newer"? I guess it is a 50-50 proposition. Good luck, and welcome to the club.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    "polyswitch"? ... are you refering to a specific type of crossover?
    Here's what I have for your inspection.
    The upgrades sound good but I'd hate to chase good money after bad, trying to replace these unnecessarily.

Cheers, Barrie.
  • skrol
    edited May 2009
    My RTA11TL's that were mfg 1991 did not have the poly switches.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited May 2009
    The polyswitch is a small little blue thingy and could easily not be visible in the pic you offered. I'm not edumacated enough to know on your specific speakers:confused: It is however, totally possible that your old **** tweeters died:) We shall await more knowledgeble advice now.
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    Well if you need a better or different photo, let me know.

Cheers, Barrie.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,379
    edited May 2009
    If you have polyswitches there is one on each crossover board. It's either blue or mustard colored, thin and round shaped. They can and will go bad. You can get new ones from Polk. If that doesn't fix your problem, then you need new tweeters. Even if the new poly's fix the problem, you should seriously consider replacing the SL3000's with the RD0198-1's as they are a major improvement.

Have you noticed the highs cutting out in the past? What are you powering them with? I hope you're not playing that guitar thru them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2009
    Nice speakers.

My RTA 8 TL's did not have poly switched to the best of my determination. I think these RTA 15TL could be the same instance. It could be the photo but I don't remember my RTA 8TL tweeters being that silver, mine are more black than silver.

I could be wrong.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you have polyswitches there is one on each crossover board. It's either blue or mustard colored, thin and round shaped. They can and will go bad. You can get new ones from Polk. If that doesn't fix your problem, then you need new tweeters. Even if the new poly's fix the problem, you should seriously consider replacing the SL3000's with the RD0198-1's as they are a major improvement.

Have you noticed the highs cutting out in the past? What are you powering them with? I hope you're not playing that guitar thru them.

Absolutely not. I'd never dream of using these for any musical instument. In this case, the photo was taken with my guitar for scale purposes only. I run my guitar though a Marshall amplifier. (pic included)
    Here's a clearer shot and I don't see what you've discribed as a "polyswitch".
    Should I decide to go with the upgrade to the RD0198-1 tweeters, how would I go about the ordering process?

Cheers, Barrie.
  • seeclear
    edited May 2009
    Call Polk CS and tell them you are on Club Polk. they will cost $48 each, plus tax. Mine came to $98 and change for the pair I just got for my RTA 8TL's. Easy cheesy to swap out, they drop right in to the existing space. Good Luck!!
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    Awesome ... thanks seeclear. I assume you're happy with your new RDO198-1's?

Cheers, Barrie.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2009
    I realize the replacement tweeters are better. But there are other audio sites I've been on that 'mock' us about these replacements claiming that we're fooling ourselves in thinking we can 'upgrade' a 20 year old speaker with these silk-domes....and the commentary is, I must say, pretty nasty.

These guys think we're 'fools'! Why do you guys think that is the case? And I should add that not everyone on those sites, with these opinions, is a moron.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2009
    I don't see a Poly Switch on your crossover? Anyone else?

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2009
    Nope,, me neither,,be nice if he would flip it around and take another pic.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited May 2009
    I'd love to get my ears on them speakers
  • F1nut
    edited May 2009
    cnh wrote: »
    I realize the replacement tweeters are better. But there are other audio sites I've been on that 'mock' us about these replacements claiming that we're fooling ourselves in thinking we can 'upgrade' a 20 year old speaker with these silk-domes....and the commentary is, I must say, pretty nasty.

These guys think we're 'fools'! Why do you guys think that is the case? And I should add that not everyone on those sites, with these opinions, is a moron.

cnh

Unless they have tried it themselves and it's obvious they haven't, how would they know!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• seeclear
    edited May 2009
    LPN wrote: »
    Awesome ... thanks seeclear. I assume you're happy with your new RDO198-1's?

Cheers, Barrie.

They are fine. First, I just bought them used with one tweeter blown, so I never really heard them "before and after". Secondly, my room that I have them in is in no way optimally set up for staging, imaging, or any other "ing" you might want to evaluate in speaker performance. Thirdly, I definitely don't have golden ears.
    cnh wrote: »

cnh

Who cares? If it sounds good, do it.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2009
    seeclear wrote: »
    They are fine. First, I just bought them used with one tweeter blown, so I never really heard them "before and after". Secondly, my room that I have them in is in no way optimally set up for staging, imaging, or any other "ing" you might want to evaluate in speaker performance. Thirdly, I definitely don't have golden ears.

Who cares? If it sounds good, do it.

You guys are probably right. Why bother. But it does get on my nerves.

Thanks..

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • F1nut
    edited May 2009
    Well, you can tell them that Polk spent good time and money developing the new tweeters to exceed the performance of the originals. They are not just some off the shelf tweeter that happened to be close to the originals.

Are these the same guys that think all amps sound the same, etc. ?

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2009
    Those naysayers are the same people who replace blown drivers with generic drivers from parts express and brag about 30 year old equipment that they found on the curb. I take everything I read there with a grain of salt.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nduitch
    nduitch Posts: 316
    edited May 2009
    seeclear wrote: »
    Uhhhhhhhhh, well, you had 18 year old tweeters and they just crapped out?

Call Polk CS and they should be able to set you up with replacements. Tell them your are part of Club Polk for free shipping and 20% off. Actually I'm not positive about free shipping north of the border, but down below here it would be.

There is no 20% off, just the free shipping if you are a club polk member.
  • skrol
    edited May 2009
    nduitch wrote: »

I got my RDO's this past December. As a CP member, the shipping was free and they were $48 each vs $65.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    I have to put a good deal of faith in the experts and enthusiasts here. After all, Polk people know their products and equipment.
    Faced with replacing the SL3000 that have packed it in, the recommended RDO198-1's are fine with me. I certainly don't have a decernable enough taste to have it worry me about the commments made on other forums (expert or otherwise). I agree, Polk wouldn't push out some sub-standard replacements. Bottom line, bring on the RDO's.

Cheers, Barrie.
  • seeclear
    edited May 2009
    nduitch wrote: »

wrong.
    skrol wrote: »
    I got my RDO's this past December. As a CP member, the shipping was free and they were $48 each vs $65.

right.
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    I was finally able to order replacment tweeters (RDO198-1) through a Canadian dealer in Ontario. You must send your order and full payment (money order only) there and he in turn places the order and has them shipped out of San Diego.
    I have the info if any Canadian people are interested.

Cheers, Barrie.
  • phandnot
    phandnot Posts: 18
    edited May 2009
    All of this is good to know.... I just replaced one of my SL-3000s with a new SL-3000 that my employer actually had in stock. I have been debating upgrading, but I may just have to now. RDOs and x-over upgrades.
    Downstairs Theater System
    Polk Audio RTA-15TL fronts
    Polk Audio M5jr+ rears
    Polk Audio CS350(LS) center
    Homemade Sony sub/Kenwood Amp (being replaced w/2 Paradigm)
    Toshiba HD-D3 HD/DVD
    JVC RX-6000v (being replaced w/Integra DTR-9.9)

...and HD/DVR, vcr, cassette, cd, and various game systems.
  • LPN
    edited May 2009
    I was always under the impression to replace both (or all) at the same time. Perhaps I'd heard wrong?

Cheers, Barrie.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2009
    You wouldn't want to replace one tweeter with the RD0198-1, leaving the SL3000 in the other. Otherwise it's fine to replace only one like tweeter, if that's all it needs.

President of Club Polk