Rate these A/V receivers

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited March 2003 in Electronics
How would you rate these receivers for best to worst?

-Marantz 6300
-Harman Kardon AVR 225
-Pionner Elite VSX-41
-Onkyo TX-SR600
-Pionner VSX-D811s
-Denon AVR 1803
-Yamaha RX-V630

Best at the top

Worst at the bottom

Thank you!
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'd keep Marantz at the top and put HK at the bottom and swap PE and Onkyo , that's it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    -Denon AVR 1803
    -Onkyo TX-SR600
    -Harman Kardon AVR 225
    -Yamaha RX-V630

I will only rate what I have heard so I can't comment on the others.

-Marantz 6300
    -Pionner Elite VSX-41
    -Pionner VSX-D811s
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Im buying the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 -- Just need 105 more dollars and IM THERE!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yamaha
    Denon
    Onkyo
    H/K
    Pioneer

Not familiar enough with PE or Marantz. Yamaha and Denon are both nice, but the 630 has been selling for a hundred less for a couple weeks now.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yamaha on top?? I haven't heard good things about them, but the rest looks good inline just right
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    There isn't a good to worse on that list.
    The question should really state as follows............
    "what is the best recever that will match my speakers,have enough power for my room,has the features that I want and has the nessary connectability for the equipment that I own and plan on owning?"
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Yamaha on top?? I haven't heard good things about them, but the rest looks good inline just right

Yamaha is a good company, they have pretty good built receivers - but u can shift the face plate side to side by the slightest touch. They have relatively dirty amps. When you turn it up on any source your main speakers get this sound........lol! Other than that, My Dad owns some old Yammer stuff and that mess rocks the effin house my people. I think like most companies their quality and products themselves have gone down in grades.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yamaha may have had earned a reputation in the past 3 - 5 years of building some "bright and forward" sounding receivers. However, starting with the RX-V1200 last year and this years RX-V1300 line (same as HTR-5590 minus preouts), I believe they have toned down the sound to more neutral. Still a little "brighter" than some receivers but to me sounds "detailed". I adjust the treble to -1 db to 0 db depending on the recording and it sounds great to me. My receiver is built like a tank. Interesting note, the hi-fi shop that sold me my Yamaha says that like one out of fifty (Yamaha and / or Integra) come back with problems compared to one out of ten for Sony (not sure if this was the ES line though).

I never knew too much about the Pioneer Elite line when I bought my Yammer. I only compared it to H/K and Integra / Onkyo. I have Denon products too and they are excellent quality but the remotes have been terrible (looks like the 3803 is improved). Didn't want to dish out the money at the time for the 3803 (also heard about the video problem). With the money that I spent for the Yammer and the NAD I could have nearly had the 3803 but I believe a seperate power amp can run mains better than a "budget" receiver.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I completely agree with mantis-

I would suggest going to your local retailer and listening to each one. Only you can tell which one sounds the best. We all have our own tastes and tilts. The great thing is that there are so many choices. You also may want to give the Outlaw 1050 an audition if you are really into stereo music, just my personal preference. I was thouroghly impressed! I also really liked the sound of Marantz (7200, 8200)

Outlaw provides some of the best customer service I have ever witnessed. Check it out: www.outlawaudio.com

Just my 2 cents,
    BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest