Mantis revisited.....On Home theater from scratch.

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited February 2003 in Electronics
You know after lastnight,I think we should all take a step back and look at this whole topic together as a group.What do you guys think?
I would like to start a thead about home theater and learn along the way together about it.I know we all have a level of understanding of the topic,but I think it would be cool to make a starting point,lets say with understanding Dolbylabs,dolby surround and work our way up to todays current formats.
We can all gather infomation about it and learn.I'll start the thead and everyone can join in and help out.
I think this is a good Idea so we all can be on the same page with home theater.I think alot of people put money into the factor alot and we miss the general idea alittle.And I do mean WE.

So my idea is just that,start a really cool thead about home theater.Alot of facts,some basic understanding, and then we can all move on together.......form the beginning to todays current???

So who wants to give it a try???
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    If memory serves, LAST time you started a thread about what constituted a Home Theater it wound up as a huge pissing contest because I didn't agree that surround sound was a requirement for HT.

Pass.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I remember that thread - phew.

Aside from what actually consitutes HT, we could certainly answer specific questions about surround sound and surround sound encoding and decoding technologies and THX and THX 2 without offending anyone's sensibilities.

At any rate - I'm game but I'm not sure we need a separate dedicated thread to accomplish that goal. We just kinda address things as we go around here.

Unless the thread is made out to be a sticky, it will eventually get buried in the wake of new posts just like all the rest.

Maybe a separate discussion group/topic would be a better idea.

Or it might be viewed as redundant because all things HT can he broken down into questions that already fit into our existing categories.

Just thinking out loud.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Alright,
    well I thought it would have made for a cool post but it seems only one person would actually be game.

Doc,
    My idea was to just go over home theater since it started,like dolby surrond was first introduced,maybe go into some dolby history and bring it up to todays standards in 6.1
    Well I'm gonna start that thead tonight and see where it goes.If no one is interested,well at least my opneing will make for a good read.
    Dan
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mantis, Do what ever u want - just leave Liv out of it. Because a good argumental thread is all good until he gets involved. Then its a shoot down and kill each other. Just my 2 cents.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I bought my first surround sound receiver in 1987. It was a Pioneer VSX-5000. It was a Dolby surround receiver. Not even DPL, just good old Dolby surround. This gave you two front with two surrounds. This old dinosaur is now hooked up to the family room tv. It's only job is to provide ambience music and power the patio speakers. It has a hard time doing this measly task. I added two volume controls for the patio and family room speakers and when I turn down the volume controls, the receiver starts clipping. When I bought the thing, I was on top of the world though. I was living with my brother at the time and I didn't even have a VCR. So when I got home to hook everything up, I saw the his VCR wasn't even stereo!! Aaarrggghhh. My first purchase which immediately drove another upgrade. Remember when the VCR's weren't even stereo!!??
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yeah I remember as I get reminded of it everytime a customer wants to use one in his or her brand new theater system.What I do is just Y out the output for dual mono.It works and most people keep VCR around due to the fact of kids tapes and family camcorder tapes.......so the dual mono works out fine.

You had a Pioneer dolby surround receiver huh,well thats cool so did I,it was the Pioneer vsx3900s.4 channels 100 x2 up front and 15 x 2 for the rears.I love it,I also had it in the 80's.I believe it was 1987 when I picked it up.It retailed for 500.00.back then I thought that was alot of money.
    I used Pinnacle speakers with it,one of the first sub/sat systems non powered sub.4 channels of dolby surround.Simple back then..............
    Dan