Dynamat

Options

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited May 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    LOL......I'm too old to be extreme any longer.

The Extreme is an improved version. It has excellent adhesion properties and has a layer of aluminum on the face side making it easier to work with. It also provides better protection from heat.

and easier to apply since you don't need to heat it up to apply as the original dynamat
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hmmm. I was going to respond saying I used the original stuff with no problems and with good results. But after reading your response it sounds like I have the extreme stuff also.....

Nick
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'll take some pics tuesday night and post them wednesday.
    Once you have pics available, it will be great to make sure we apply properly to our unit. As pointed out before, it be best to experiment on my/our older DVD player. By the way, is there any chances of improve video (since vibration would also affect quality of the video??) any comments? Anyone has experienced such improvement?
    Well, each serves a different purpose, but I guess I'd have to go with the internal over the external as most of the better gear come with decent footers to begin with.
    Ok, then a good combination of both is then of value (most of my players seems to have good footers already but will double check)

The Extreme is an improved version. It has excellent adhesion properties and has a layer of aluminum on the face side making it easier to work with. It also provides better protection from heat.
    I guess the aluminium layer could also play some sort of shielding role/use as CD/DVD type players tend to emanate/radiate quite a bit? As far as thickness of the product (especially the extreme), is there specs available anywhere (the above link wasn't too usefull for that matter). Now, would there be any advantage to use such product on newer products such as HD DVD and BluRay players? (I am always using my DVD and HDVD players to play music now except when using my laptop for portability and versatility) Any comments, suggestions?

Cheers :)
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I use Dynamat on all my gear whether it is new or used.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I use Dynamat on all my gear whether it is new or used.
    Does it improve video also? Seems like a simple and innexpensive DIY improvement!
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Video gear is just as sensitive to vibration as audio gear so I would imagine that it would. In any case I use it on my video gear too.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Sorry, I couldn't add this to the previous post as time elapsed:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_intro.html

This stuff seems to be great just about anywhere soundproofing is required. Anyone has suggestion where to buy for BBB? I have noticed my local BestBuy may carry some but more likely for cars. I've checked ebay.ca unsuccessfully and I am not sure if CDN can buy at ebay.com?
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I bought some off of Amazon.com.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ever use Peel-and-seal for damping vibration? It is a product that is very similar to Dynamat Extreme that is mainly used for roofing. It can be found cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. It does not deaden quite as well as the Extreme but is much better than the plain Dynamat. If thickness is an issue, this stuff might work as it is a little thinner than Extreme. I have done cars with this stuff and it works great and much cheaper than Dynamat. I recently found that Moretite also works well for damping vibration.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    I bought some off of Amazon.com.
    Humm, I'll check this out!

DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Ever use Peel-and-seal for damping vibration? It is a product that is very similar to Dynamat Extreme that is mainly used for roofing. It can be found cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. It does not deaden quite as well as the Extreme but is much better than the plain Dynamat. If thickness is an issue, this stuff might work as it is a little thinner than Extreme. I have done cars with this stuff and it works great and much cheaper than Dynamat. I recently found that Moretite also works well for damping vibration.
    Are you talking about some like blue skin? This is is also some to consider for larger jobs. I have been wondering if it could be of any use for soundproofing. Wanted to do some test but I think it isn't suitable if one is looking at the safety aspects (fire retardant & gas emanation during potential fire) so it slowed down my curiosity and testing willingness.

DARE TO SOAR:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have noticed my local BestBuy may carry some but more likely for cars.

Dynamat Extreme is made for cars, but is used for all kinds of apps.

I don't know what all this talk of being too thick is about. It's 1/16 inch thick!!!

Apply it to any bare metal surfaces you find, inside the cover, the walls of the chassis, the inside bottom of the chassis, etc.

You can get four 12" x 36" sheets for $60.00 or less. There are smaller amounts for less money available as well. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that to be expensive....at all.
    http://www.etronics.com/p-8929-dynamat-xtreme-door-kit-10435.aspx
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skrol
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I am not familiar with blue skin. Here is info in peel and seal... http://www.mfmbp.com/ . They also have a material safety data sheet on their web site. The instructions do warn about Peel & Seal being reflective and can contribute to sunburn. Protect skin and eyes and avoid prolonged exposure in direct sun.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    :)
    You can get four 12" x 36" sheets for $60.00 or less. There are smaller amounts for less money available as well. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that to be expensive....at all.
    http://www.etronics.com/p-8929-dynam...kit-10435.aspx
    Thanks for the link, great deal! However, I've tried to order and proceeded to check out as directed for out of US citizen but was not successfull... seems to recognise only US postal codes. Very unfortunate :(

Great stuff and thanks for the link skrol. This is has I suspected similar to bue skin but with greather purpose (the aluminum property wich blue skin doesn't have). I sure would like to hear a little more about this but hopefully in a different thread as it is in fact a great roofing product but we do not want to highjack this fine thread. I don't think this product would replace/do the job of dynamat.

Cheers
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Perhaps you could get a Club member close to where you are but in the US receive it for you then ship it to you. That has been done many times here.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Perhaps you could get a Club member close to where you are but in the US receive it for you then ship it to you. That has been done many times here.
    Makes sense, however my first step would be to drop by BestBuy to get acquainted with the product first (should discipline my self to leave early enough today before store closure :o)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Makes sense, however my first step would be to drop by BestBuy to get acquainted with the product first (should discipline my self to leave early enough today before store closure :o)
    I couldn't/wait resist, I rushed at the last minute to the nearest BB from the office (15 mins before it closed) and bought a Dynamat Xtreme speaker kit (2 10" x 10" pieces). I compared with BLUESKIN and it is the exact same tar like gummy material and instead of having aluminum as top covering it as a a vinyl type top skin covering and therefore isn't conductive. I tought BLUESKIN would be thicker than dynamat but I was surprised to find out it was the exact same thickness. Someone using large pieces in car panels for example would benefit from using such as BLUESKIN or peel and seal as it would do the same job as dynamat with substantial savings.

I will do some testing on my old DVD player using BLUESKIN and if the result is positive, I am considering returning the dynamat since I paid nearly 40$ CDN for the 2 10x10 pieces and I estimate having approximately 50' left of 3' wide still in my roll of BLUESKIN. I am not really sure I would have enough gear to use the remainder of the roll :rolleyes: Might be a good idea to use some of it for my car door panels (nice spring job, right?). BLUESKIN is readily available in construction material supply store for very low pricing. I think it would be worthwhile for Polkies to consider/investigate such product as an alternative to dynamat especially if one needs lots of it (mind you, the pricing and link provided by F1nut is definitely a given as it is a very innexpensive option for the quantity provided for the price.

DARE TO SOAR:
  • F1nut
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Are they the same?

Dynamat Extreme is described as elastomeric butyl.

Blueskin is described as SBS modified bitumen.

Butyl is a synthetic elastomeric polymer. Butyl rubber is a common family member and is often used as surround material for audio drivers.

Bitumen is commonly called asphalt and/or tar and is made from tarlike hydrocarbons, which are derived from coal, but can also be made from petroleum.

Having used a sound dampening product made from bitumen in the past I can say it's nothing I would ever use again in my audio gear as it will slide down the sides of cases and droop down from the underside of lids.

So, the answer to the question, are they the same? No, they are most certainly not the same.

You should return the Blueskin, not the Dynamat Extreme.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TECHNOKID
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Are they the same?

Dynamat Extreme is described as elastomeric butyl.

Blueskin is described as SBS modified bitumen.

Butyl is a synthetic elastomeric polymer. Butyl rubber is a common family member and is often used as surround material for audio drivers.

Bitumen is commonly called asphalt and/or tar and is made from tarlike hydrocarbons, which are derived from coal, but can also be made from petroleum.

Having used a sound dampening product made from bitumen in the past I can say it's nothing I would ever use again in my audio gear as it will slide down the sides of cases and droop down from the underside of lids.

So, the answer to the question, are they the same? No, they are most certainly not the same.

You should return the Blueskin, not the Dynamat Extreme.
    Thanks for the details, I'll keep the dynamat and also keep my blueskin for other projects as I already owned it from previous project that doesn't have to do with electronic gear.

Thanks again!
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2009
    Options

Aluminum also acts as a shielding material from any RF waves bombarding your source from your other equipment. Amps, preamps, power cables, Ipods, cell phones, Crack berries all emit RF signals. All these components may add a little noise into your CD circuitry. Dynamat or Hushmat may help to lower the noise floor. I think Hushmat has better adhesion properties even compared to Dynamat Extreme. Cost is the same. Both are easier to handle than the original Dynamat.
    Carl

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    So I have some time on my hands this week and got around the Dynamatting the insides of my CDP and Cambridge CNX streamer. After taking apart the streamer, I can image the Cambridge 851 is a better built unit. I did the top of the streamer due it had an annoying hollow sound when I tapped the top lid. I have 2 more 6 x 8" squares of Dynamat extreme. What to do next:
    1. 2 pieces on top lid of pre amp?
    2. Cut down pieces and work around top vents of amp?
    3. Tube DAC - this has a glass top and gets pretty warm, almost even hot, to the touch...
    4. Power conditioner top cover....
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    I hate that when I start tapping on the lid of my streamer during a deep critical listening session and it has an annoying hollow sound. Really kills the moment and puts me in a bad mood.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I hate that when I start tapping on the lid of my streamer during a deep critical listening session and it has an annoying hollow sound. Really kills the moment and puts me in a bad mood.

It makes me feel inadequate in my streamer purchase is what it does lol.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    I wouldn't feel inadequate about the CXN v2, it's an excellent sounding streamer, I strongly preferred it compared to the 851n.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Seems like vibrations would only occur in components with moving parts. I guess some streamers have HDDs that spin.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Seems like vibrations would only occur in components with moving parts. I guess some streamers have HDDs that spin.

Vibrations such as sound waves can easily reach the internal components of gear. Damping the enclosure helps with that.

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options
    I wouldn't feel inadequate about the CXN v2, it's an excellent sounding streamer, I strongly preferred it compared to the 851n.
    Really? I should clarify. Taking it apart revealed that the outer shell is where they chose to go cost effective in that it is relatively thin and many small screws hold the whole shell together. Not the worst piece of gear I have taken apart, but far from the sturdiest. Functionality wise I love it. I guess the Dynamat hopefully will stop me from going bananas and buying a Auralic in the near future.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options

Wait. What??? You are like the first person I've heard this from.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skrol
    Options
    Signals flowing though components on a circuit board can cause interactions between the components. If they are vibrating then there will be variations in the interactions. This can cause the vibration to modulate the signals on top of the desired signals. Dampen the vibrations and the modulation is reduced.

This probably goes without saying, but when applying damping material to the covers, make sure not to block vents.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff: