SDA SRS purchase

Options
Bigbang
Bigbang Posts: 233
edited May 2009 in Vintage Speakers
I'm new so please excuse my lack of knowledge. 23 years ago I had the joy of a lifetime when I listened to Supertramp on a pair of SDA SRS's. Regretably I didnt have the 3k to buy them so I ended up with some respectable 5jr+ that have served me well these many years.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a look at some SDA SRS speakers and I'm really not sure what to look for. Can anyone give me a few pointers? I'm not even sure what model they are but I can find out and I have a general idea but any specific information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll be here to learn more in the next few years.
I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
Post edited by Bigbang on

Comments

• artinaz
    artinaz Posts: 185
    edited April 2009
    Options
    1. Make sure the interconnects are there. This connects the left and right speakers for the SDA effect. If the seller doesnt have it, you can get rig one up or buy on ebay- but its a pain.

2. Make sure that all woofers and drivers are working. With the music on, I usually touch the rubber woofer surrounds to see if they are vibrating. Similar thing with tweeters. Try listening with your ears next to the drivers to check for distortion. With the interconnect disconnected, the SDA drivers shouldnt be working.

3. The big speaker-thing on the bottom is a passive radiator. Ideally, the speaker cabinets should be air-tight. Push in the passive gently and hold it there, the woofers should immediately push out and then slowly fall back (2-3 seconds).

The above 3 would be the main things that I can think of. I am sure the other guys are going to chime in too with their tips.

Good Luck!

Azi
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2009
    Options
    If they look good and are local at a decent price buy them. Anything you need can be taken care of either directly by Polk, or here on the forum.
    Stack around, and welcome to Club Polk.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bigbang
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I'm gonna catch hell from my wife and neighbors but hey, we had 9 good years :)

Thanks,

David
  • artinaz
    artinaz Posts: 185
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Dont forget to let us know how it went. Upload some photos too- always good to see photos of those handsome beasts!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Bigbang wrote: »
    Thanks Guys. I'm gonna catch hell from my wife and neighbors but hey, we had 9 good years :)

Thanks,

David

The wife factor is a bit of a problem with something that size! But on the other hand you have the Perfect 'handle' for what you'll be listening to soon...some Bigbangs! Don't tell the boys at CERN!

Enjoy....

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    edited May 2009
    Options

Thanks,

David

Keep an open mind on the wife, she may like them given the chance. I have had a set since 87 and my wife has never complained.
  • Bigbang
    edited May 2009
    Options
    These are right down the road from me here in Indianapolis and they want 1300 for the original SRS's and they have included a Sony N80ES amp. The speakers are in great condition and everything is functional. One of the drivers has a dent in it but it does not seem to effect the sound and could be replaced easily. The front covers are in decent shape for 20+ years and the cabinet is in good shape. I'm just not sure I can jump in at 1300...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited May 2009
    Options
    These are right down the road from me here in Indianapolis and they want 1300 for the original SRS's and they have included a Sony N80ES amp. The speakers are in great condition and everything is functional. One of the drivers has a dent in it but it does not seem to effect the sound and could be replaced easily. The front covers are in decent shape for 20+ years and the cabinet is in good shape. I'm just not sure I can jump in at 1300...
    if you decide not to take them please forward the info to me. I live in Lafayette...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Bigbang
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Sure. Can you give me a week to ponder...
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Sure. Can you give me a week to ponder...
    lol.... I guess, but it will be a very long week. For the price if I were you, I'd take them. I had an opportunity to get a set from indy right before I chose the 1c's instead and wish I would have taken the big daddys instead. I believe someone on the forum bought them for 900 bucks...;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Bigbang
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well, I took the leap and bought the SRS's. I got a Sony amp thrown into the deal so it worked out pretty well. Can someone help me identify these? I assume they are the original SRS's but I'm not sure. I took some pictures and one of the drivers had an SDA CRS label on it? Weird. It looks like they have the sl2000 tweeters.

I really need some help with how to integrate these into my system. I'm not sure if I want to stick with using them as L and R for surround or start building a 2ch system.

Below is what I have. Can anyone make suggestions on which direction I should turn next? Speaker mods, Pre-Amp... I'm really a novice and I'm not sure what to do next.

Here is What I currently Have

HT Reciever Yamaha RX-V595
    DVD/CD - Yahama DV-S5750
    PVR - Motorola DCT6416 III
    VCR - Panasonic - PV - 8450
    LCD - Poloroid FLM-3732
    Center - Polk CS175
    Left and Right - Polk 5jr+ replaced with SRS's
    Rear - Polk M1's
    Sub - Yahama YST-SW215
    Remote - Harmony 880

Thanks for any suggestions or information,

David
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited May 2009
    Options
    They are the original SRS's, They look in great shape. Congrats!!!!
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Congrats on your new speakers. First move everything away from the wall on the left. SDA's will sound good like that, but will not have the SDA working in full effect. If the insides of your speakers are 6 feet apart you will want your head no more than 8 feet back. Also keep them about 6 inches from the wall with no toe in. For now play with a chair that you can move in and out. Keep in mind you will most likely wan to be 12 feet back which means you want your speakers 10 feet apart:eek: Can you move your room around? I know it is early so you may want the wife to adjust;)
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Congrats on your new speakers. First move everything away from the wall on the left. SDA's will sound good like that, but will not have the SDA working in full effect. If the insides of your speakers are 6 feet apart you will want your head no more than 8 feet back. Also keep them about 6 inches from the wall with no toe in. For now play with a chair that you can move in and out. Keep in mind you will most likely wan to be 12 feet back which means you want your speakers 10 feet apart:eek: Can you move your room around? I know it is early so you may want the wife to adjust;)
    Ben

Ben,

What is the bolt for on the back of these speakers for? are they so you can hook them to the wall with a strap so they can't fall forward?
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yep they did have a wall strap kind of thing They can push a ton of air!! That is one thing I always find funny when people say put them 2 or 3 feet from the wall but the design was 6"!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Yep they did have a wall strap kind of thing They can push a ton of air!! That is one thing I always find funny when people say put them 2 or 3 feet from the wall but the design was 6"!

That figure is from the side wall;)
    Also that strap was called a bass brace. It is more like we don't want these things to tip over and kill your kids/pets;)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bigbang
    edited May 2009
    Options
    For some reason they aren't sounding like I would have thought. Right now I have the Yahama CD/DVD into the Sony TA-N80ES into the speakers.

Can I put the reciever somewhere into the mix to control the volume?

Should I mess with the small Yahama sub?

I'm really not sure how to connect all this...
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Does the yami have pre outs?
    Anyone?
    Yamaha RX-V595
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2009
    Options
    This site says it should.

http://www.generalmanual.com/Audio/Yamaha-RX-V592-Natural-Sound-AV-Receiver.htm

PRE-OUTS FOR ALL OTHER CHANNELS INCLUDING SUBWOOFER
    The front channels, center channel, rear effects channels and subwoofer all have pre-out connections. This allows you to add outboard amplification and direct subwoofer connection.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Forget the sub. If your receiver has preouts get an external amp for now. upgrade the receiver later. check out your local pawnshop or the flemarket here in the forums.

I don't believe your receiver is doing the SDA's justice. JMHO
  • Bigbang
    edited May 2009
    Options
    OK, I think I've got it. Well, part of it. My Yamaha reciever does not have pre outs but I remember reading in here where someone had the same setup and had to use the headphone jacks as a pre out... I have an external amp (I forgot to mention that) A Sony TA-N80ES (I know Sony, but it came with the SRS's). Can I use my headphone jack as a pre out into the N80ES and let the N80ES power the speakers or is there a more elegant way of doing that?

This is the Reciever I have...
    http://www.generalmanual.com/Audio/Yamaha-RX-V595-Natural-Sound-Home-Theater-Receiver.htm

I Promised Ben I would wait until he could talk to me tonight before I do anything stupid...

Thanks for the site...

David
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited May 2009
    Options
    they look great, congrats and enjoy!
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    No pre outs, but you can use the headphone jack to RCA's for now. A trip to Rat shack is in order.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2009
    Options
    No pre outs, but you can use the headphone jack to RCA's for now. A trip to Rat shack is in order.
    Ben

This really works????
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yep. Not my favorite way to do it, but it can at least allow him to use his system for now.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2009
    Options
    you already have a Sony amp.. now just upgrade your receiver to have pre amp outs.. otherwise. it will never sound as good as it can.

congrats.. I owned a pair of those a few years ago. they need amp power. not receiver power. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ben

that sounds pretty ghetto :confused:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited May 2009
    Options
    My favorite part of this is the before (5jr) and AFTER pics. That's so freaking awesome, I love it!! Nice find! I hope you know that you have opened a can of worms here, but in a good way:D Enjoy!
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    that sounds pretty ghetto :confused:

It is, but if you have nothing for now. He is looking...
    Thanks
    Ben
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Forget the sub. If your receiver has preouts get an external amp for now. upgrade the receiver later. check out your local pawnshop or the flemarket here in the forums.

I don't believe your receiver is doing the SDA's justice. JMHO
    plus one on the amp. I would look at something running at least 200wpc@8 ohm. Correct me if I am wrong guys, but the original SRS were 4 ohm, yes?
    I have a penchant for Carver/Sunfire, but a good Rotel/Adcom or Parasound will also do nicely. I would strongly advise agains pushing them to hard until you have an am that can properly run them, as I am looking for a new stereo driver as a result of to little juice.

You might consider this one .... It is a touch light on the watts but it is a very under-rated amp.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1245393418&/Nakamichi-Stasis-PA-5-threshol