mvictor
mvictor Posts: 4
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
AV receiver: HK AVR325
Sats: Polk RM6700
Sub: PSW303
DVD: Sony DVP-NS315B
7:1 configuration... Center, L/R Front, L/R Surround, L/R Rear Surround

I recently purchased the RM6700 speaker set with the PSW 303. I used Polk's recommended connection method. Everything sounded great (CD playback, FM broadcasts, etc.) until I played my first DVD movie (in DTS) and heard a scratchy, static noise from my speakers. I can eliminate the noise by setting the AV receiver SUB setting to LFE (instead of OFF).

Is this setting OK? What is LFE with regards to listening to music as opposed to watching a DVD movie in DTS?

I read the Club Polk method in the forum and I am leaning towards changing the connections. Are there any tradeoffs using one method vs the other?
Post edited by mvictor on

Comments

• mvictor
    edited February 2003
    Might as well reply to my own questions. I hooked up my subwoofer to the sub out of my HK AVR325. Sounds like I didn't lose much in sound quality. And the scratchy noise that was coming from my speakers (prior to this change) is gone. My HK allows me to set the cross-over frequency between each speaker and the sub so that I avoid the holes. Seems like it would be just as effective as the low pass adjustment on the sub.
  • mvictor
    edited February 2003
    If anyone reads this and is interested in subwoofer connection, refer to Club Polk's home page, Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management.

..... still don't know why my speakers didn't seem to like Polk Audio's recommended sub hookup method.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Speaks to small, sub to on, filter point to 120 on the AVR, LFE volume to -3 on the AVR, sub out into LFE in (unfiltered) on the 303, adjust sub volume at the 303 with the plate amp.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mvictor
    edited February 2003
    Thanks for your input. I have been reading quite a bit lately on the subject (sub setup) of which you seem to have invested quite a bit of time answering our inquiries. And very good advice I might add. After reading many of the postings/replies in this forum, I came to the same conclusion you have mentioned here.

I realize now the limitations of sats. I wanted larger speakers but the wife didn't want the family room to look like a HT room. Ahhh, married life, the compromises. My next set of speakers will provide more range than the RM6700's. My kids will be older and the basement will be mine.

I'm new with all this and having some fun. At the same time, my obsession at getting the most out of my system has been driving my wife crazy. Anyway, thanks again!!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Larger speaks will allow a lower filter point at the AVR. In some cases, you will be able to go as low as 60 or even 40 Hz on the best AVRs with flexible bass managment.

I run all mine at 80. If I could, I'd probably try 60 since I have large speaks all around. I wouldn't go lower than 60 since the F3 of my side and rear surrounds and center is 50 Hz.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS