Holy Hell... I've finally started!

Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited July 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Wow. It's almost been 2 years since I bought my SR components and slowly from there bought the rest of my system and it's finally being installed! Components in, tweeters flushed and dyed. My question is this. I have an 06 Civic Coupe and will keep the OEM radio and will use the Rockford 360.2v2 processor. Now I plan on running high level in but where is best to get that signal? I haven't started stripping the car apart yet but will Friday. Do I cut and splice new wires from the deck and then to the 360 or do I go after the OEM amp? The car has the "premium" system so it has a component set up front and a sub in the rear deck but all that will not be used. The only other part I'm thinking about is where I'm going to place my amps... but I'll figure that out as I start laying stuff out. Thanks to all help.
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited April 2009
    I would assume the Rockford 360.2v2 manual would say something of where to wire it up when interfacing with a premium system. I've of scenarios where people wire it up before or after the oem amps. On my ford taurus, I wired my line-out-converters after the oem amp (made it all convenient since the oem amp was in the trunk of the car). Some other cars like the bose in my maxima, the signal from the factory head unit is low level and can be used directly into rca's for the amp. Also, if I were you, I would try to find harness plugs than cutting and splicing. Do you plan to use the oem wires for speaker. I would check some civic forums for more details regarding your factory radio.

Good luck!
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    I've already run new speaker wires back for the amps so no OEM wiring will be used in that aspect. I personally don't really trust the guys at the civic forum I am part of as most of them have never hooked up a car stereo or even would know how to wire a single sub to an amp as they think you can bridge a mono amp (I'm not exaggerating).

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • bkeller3
    bkeller3 Posts: 13
    edited April 2009
    How did you wait 2 years with SR components sitting around?! That wouldv'e drove me nuts.
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    I know! Anyhow, with some further research, I think I need to get a Mercman harness that he made to go from the OEM Honda to RCAs as the radio is balanced out. More info to come... unless someone knows where i can pick one up! I've messaged him so hopefully I can get one.

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited April 2009
    stock radio is balanced out?? whatabout 880prs?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    the Honda premium systems are. You just gotta get this harness that gives you RCA out and you're good. I bought it for $85 which is expensive but to be balanced audio, I'll take it! I traded the 880 for the Rockford 360.2v2 so I can keep my OEM radio and make it stock :)

Fixed my sig. :) Thanks.

• cadenceclipse
    edited April 2009
    wow 880 for 360. kinda suprised. thought u were all sq...although u r the same guy with srs sitting around for 2 yrs. guess your not that into it anymore. at least u aren't using them PACs. quad amped srs, sweet. hope all goes well. how do u think 360 will compare to 880??
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • angelsmile
    angelsmile Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Toxis wrote: »
    Wow. It's almost been 2 years since I bought my SR components and slowly from there bought the rest of my system and it's finally being installed! Components in, tweeters flushed and dyed. My question is this. I have an 06 Civic Coupe and will keep the OEM radio and will use the Rockford 360.2v2 processor. Now I plan on running high level in but where is best to get that signal? I haven't started stripping the car apart yet but will Friday. Do I cut and splice new wires from the deck and then to the 360 or do I go after the OEM amp? The car has the "premium" system so it has a component set up front and a sub in the rear deck but all that will not be used. The only other part I'm thinking about is where I'm going to place my amps... but I'll figure that out as I start laying stuff out. Thanks to all help.

What?? :eek:
    You've waited for 2 years? how come?
    lols..

Well, congratulations anyway.. hehehe
    Use water as gas - Run Your Car For Free.
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    Personally, I think it'll be as good if not better. I will have a real crossover and a far more detailed EQ. Not to mention, I'll be keeping OEM look so stealth is always a good thing (when you've had a car stolen in the past). I look forward to playing with it.

How come? I never figured out exactly how I wanted the system to be perfectly. The only thing that I knew I wanted and has stayed is the SR comps run off 4 mono amps. Past that, I never figured out a good way to run a sub, I never really liked the idea of going with a radio in the OEM spot (that wasn't a double din). I finally ran into some deals (like the Stealthbox) and the xtant amp to run it was on eBay as "Xtant" in the description so no one would've found it if they didn't know what they were looking for. Stuff just takes time but I'd rather do it once and do it right than slam it in and go from there.

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2009
    Glad to see that your finally getting your gear installed.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cadenceclipse
    edited April 2009
    what do u mean real crossover? ever hear srs on xtant monos b4? i don't think your car got stolen cause u had aftermarket cd
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    a real crossover meaning something I can tune myself to my car/equipment. Not something with half the control (880) or no control (Polk crossovers). I haven't heard the SRs on the monos before and I'm pretty sure no one else has either.

Plus, my old car was stolen because it had rims and a cd player. When they got in, they saw the rest of the system and took the whole car instead of just breaking in.

• cadenceclipse
    edited April 2009
    880 had active setup right? switchable slopes and freq. whats different on 360?
    sorry to hear bout old car. stock HU will def. help with that
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    More points of adjustment. 16 points on the 880 vs. 31 on the 360. More "tunability" :D Also doing it live on your laptop vs on the HU screen is easier too.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2009
    880 had active setup right? switchable slopes and freq. whats different on 360?
    sorry to hear bout old car. stock HU will def. help with that

The 880 has a total of 32 bands of equalization, the 360.2 has 31 band front left and front right, 28ish band rear left and rear right, 10 band sub, and a 31 band center, so it has over 130 bands of equalization.

Its about 10 million times more versatile than the 880. The only bad things about it is that they're prone to engine noise and the blue-tooth going out.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    I'm "hopefully" not going to be prone to engine noise as my wiring will be done very well and with the harness from the OEM radio sends the signal balanced to the 360. "should" be good. The BlueTooth was an issue but now the new V2 models have fixed said issue. The one I got was a V1 that was refurbished by RF which basically meant they swapped it out for the new V2. I know because there's markings of V2 all over the box and a letter from RF saying they swapped it out. Let's pray it is flawless! :)

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2009
    I haven't heard the SRs on the monos before and I'm pretty sure no one else has either.

I think mac was running his sr's for a while off xtant mono's.

A friend of mine has the 3sixty.2 and it is amazing. It is definately my next upgade. Only prob is that it costs the equivalent of USD 850 over here.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2009
    Toxis wrote: »
    I'm "hopefully" not going to be prone to engine noise as my wiring will be done very well and with the harness from the OEM radio sends the signal balanced to the 360. "should" be good. The BlueTooth was an issue but now the new V2 models have fixed said issue. The one I got was a V1 that was refurbished by RF which basically meant they swapped it out for the new V2. I know because there's markings of V2 all over the box and a letter from RF saying they swapped it out. Let's pray it is flawless! :)

Hopefully! My truck started getting engine noise out of the blue a few months after I installed it. Got up one day...went to work...had engine noise. Wonderful feeling, let me tell you. This is with the gains on my amps all the way down...literally...all the way down. I havent had time to mess with it...one more thing to deal with...yay. I'll get it figured out this summer after the wedding. Hopefully I'll have time.
    arun1963 wrote: »
    I think mac was running his sr's for a while off xtant mono's.

A friend of mine has the 3sixty.2 and it is amazing. It is definately my next upgade. Only prob is that it costs the equivalent of USD 850 over here.
    Man! Thats expensive as hell. $150 more for shipping? Mine was only $175;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Toxis
    edited April 2009
    to my knowledge, mac has never ran Xtant monos, let alone xtant amps...

• Toxis
    edited May 2009
    Forgot to post an "update." I have the comps in and the 4 monos up and running. Just patiently waiting for the drivers to break in so I can do some tuning. They do sound great though and I get almost as much bass out of the two 6.5's as I did with 4 6.5's and an 8" from the OEM premium system. Not quite as much but it's not a lot less either. The mids are very snappy and can really take a beating. I can't wait to hear the midbass when they break in.

When I first got the system installed, I didn't know there was a gain on the input level of the 360 so when I set the gains on the monos, they were pretty high and it was giving me a terrible hiss. I talked to a couple ex-installers I know and they gave me some ideas (ground loop, loose connections, etc) but one guy said there's no way that's the issues. He said check the gains. I told him the amps are at 70-75% which was too high as I could only take the HU to 10 (out of 40 mind you) before it got pretty loud. That's when I read my manual (haha oops) on the 360. Seeing I couldn't get my laptop to connect to the 360 because the dongle I was trying to use was a POS, I didn't get it all set up correctly. I buy a new dongle and it works great. I reload all the programs to give it a fresh start and it says "First, let's set your input gain. Unhook all the RCA outputs." Great. Seeing I'm hiding the processor under my center console up directly under the radio, this meant I had to take the car apart again. Fun at 11:45 at night when i thought all I had to do is spend 15 minutes setting some crossover spots and maybe the time alignment. Anyhow, I slide the console back, get it all set up per their instructions, drop the gains on the monos literally to the bottom and the hiss is gone. Plus, now I can take the radio to max and it's pretty loud... with the gains literally bottomed out! Talk about head room! I will bump the gains some just to make sure I get some more power but I don't see it going above 1/3rd as that would be crazy. Head room for days I tell you! Now I just need to get my sub box mounted and build a small little wedge to "float" my sub amp in the trunk and I'll be done. All wires ran there already, just waiting for the finish. But for now, the comps sound stellar for brand new. I remember my LSi's sounding pretty bad at first but once they cracked open, they were completely different sounding so I'm figuring this will be the same way. They image pretty decent even though I haven't really even tuned the EQ or done anything other than make sure they're not running full range. I have the tweets flushed into the A-pillars instead of the OEM locations in the top corner of the dash just because I didn't want to bounce it off glass. I didn't turn them in because I didn't want them to be any more visible than they already are and it'd take too long to glass in a pair of pods. But with some tuning, I'm pretty confident I'll get them to image nicely. So now I just need some "umph" and I'll be a kid in a candy store. Giddy.

So any tips on tuning? How did you guys go about tweaking your EQ settings?

• cadenceclipse
    edited May 2009
    tuning? well for starters head room is of course a great thing but couldn't almost any1 just turn down their gains and up their HU? maybe i'm a bit confused on that issue. u say the 360 allowed this?
  • Toxis
    edited May 2009
    Well the 360 has an input level/gain that needs to be adjusted so I needed to set it correctly. Yeah anyone can down their gain and up the radio volume and actually, everyone should do this. Gotta realize, most think of the gain as a volume so they just pump it without knowing what they're doing. As for my situation, I had to make sure the gain on the processor was higher than the amps to get rid of the hiss I started with.

• Toxis
    edited June 2009
    So after almost another month, I finally got my sub installed and it's running. Actually I'm in the car now just enjoying some music. lol I set it up some but I don't have time tonight to do some REAL tuning. I'll have to get with Mac on this another time. :) I'm just happy to finally fill out the sub frequencies... FINALLY. Sounds great but will only get better when the sub breaks in obviously. So stoked.

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited June 2009
    I wanna see pics!:D
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • arun1963
    edited June 2009
    hi toxis,

what are yr xover points and slopes? Just curious
  • Toxis
    edited June 2009
    Don't quote me but the tweeters are at 4k @12, mids are 3750@12 and 65@24, sub at 55@12 with the subsonic at 20@24. I set them real fast and will get into fine tuning them (eq and crossover) later when I have time and not so busy with home improvements.

• arun1963
    edited June 2009
    Tks for validating. I'm pretty close with my momo's in active mode.

sub: 50hz @ 30db slope
    mid hpf : 63 hz @18db
    mid lpf : 4khz @ 12db
    tweet hpf: 5khz @ 18db

Only comment: u have a very shallow slope on your sub. Give yr sub a steep slope and let the mid flow into sub territory on a gentler slope......just an idea.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited June 2009
    ur running some mighty steep slopes on mids also there arun, not 2 mention tweets. how do u get 30db?

i thought this was a good spot to post this hope u don't mind Toxis..
    question..where do i set my HU volume(8vpreout on HU, 9vinput min. on amp, if that matters)also 75w components and amp, 800wsub and amp(actually 750sub, but for arguments sake..)(if that also even matters)
  • Toxis
    edited June 2009
    the question is where do you set your HU volume?

• cadenceclipse
    edited June 2009
    c, c!