Wiring my CSi40

thehalo8
thehalo8 Posts: 127
I just picked up the CSi40 that I have had my eye for some time now. I will eventually bi-wire it, but for right now I just want to hook it up and enjoy.

I have looked through many past posts and was unable to find another thread already discussing my question. I know if I want to bi-wire that I must take off the metal jumpers to keep from possibly harming my speaker. But does it matter which terminal I connect the wire to when the metal jumper is on? I would assume either the top or the bottom terminals would be fine since they will share through the jumper. If someone could let me know if it matters or not I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Mike
Mains: Polk RTi70's
Center: Polk CSi40
Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
Sub: Polk PSW505
Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
DVD: Sony DVP S5300
Protection: Monster HTS 3600
Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
Post edited by thehalo8 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    does not matter. you are correct you can connect to either top or bottom. i flip a coin.. that's how i decide. ha ha ha heads top, tails bottom.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    If you have some additional speaker wire you might want to try and remove the flat terminal straps and replace them with the wire.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    Whatever kind of wire you use for your mains should be the kind of wire you should use for your center.
    Replacing the jumpers with the same wire is a good direction.Bi wire is the best.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited February 2003
    Thanks for the quick replies. I chose the top terminals to connect the wire for now, and I am very pleased with it. I am using the same wire for all speakers throughout my system. I do not have anymore wire, so that is why I did not bi-wire my center channel. I just used the wire I was using on my old center channel. I plan on buying some more wire soon. How much of a difference does the bi-wiring actually do? I read posts about how it sounds better, but how much does it actually improve the sounds?
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by thehalo8
    How much of a difference does the bi-wiring actually do? I read posts about how it sounds better, but how much does it actually improve the sounds?

You'll get different answers to this question, ranging from "a world of difference" to "I can't tell the difference".

Bottom line: Try it and let your ears decide.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    you'll get a slight improvement in sound if you bi wire.. but like kberg said.. it's different with everyone. I found mine didn't sound louder or anything.. what I noticed was the sound to be more open and airy. fluffier, softer, warm and fuzzy-ier.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by thehalo8
    I know if I want to bi-wire that I must take off the metal jumpers to keep from possibly harming my speaker.
    Mike
    True for bi-amp; Not true for bi-wire...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

True for bi-amp; Not true for bi-wire...

It is a good idea though, and failing to do so negates the purposes of bi-wiring, which is to eliminate cross talk between the terminals.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Agreed Doc, I was just saying that speaker damage is not the reason.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD