Polkfest '09

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,188
I noticed this year that we don't have a planned Polkfest, or if we do it sure isn't being discussed. Rumor was after last years PF that our brother TroyD was gonna host the next one. Those rumors have slowly withered away to non existance with no talk whatsoever as to the next official Polkfest.

Reason I ask is if no one wants to step up to the plate, I have an ideal location with excellent power, plenty of room for however many rigs we want to set up and accommodations to hold Polkfest if no concrete plans have been made. I'd be willing to step up to the plate to help organize it. I'm still kicking myself in the arse because I missed last years PF due to circumstances beyond my control and I can't go another year without seeing you crazy mo-fo's again. :D

Just to give you a heads up, if a location hasn't been picked out already, the location that I have in mind is located in the NC mountains about 7 miles from the TN border.

Talk to me.
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2009
    I'm there,, wherever it will be held. I am jonesing for a Polk Fest. It's like returning home,after a long absence.6-7 months fly by when you reach my age.:)FWIW,, I was also under the impression that it would be held in the Charleston S.C. area.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2009
    I thought I read that BDT was moving to NC.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • treitz3
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm, I remember hearing that as well. I don't know whether or not he's still keeping the digs down in Charleston though. He's pretty busy right now but I'm sure he'll chime in shortly to fill us in. I definitely don't want to step on his toes but I definitely do want to attend a Polkfest this year. I figured that if I post about a Polkfest '09, that it would get the ball rolling one way or another.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ND13
    edited March 2009
    I went to Troy's last shindig. Had a blast. **** wouldn't sell me his VPI.:( My job situation has kept me from going the last couple of years, but I got good news today and will be back to work Friday. Hopefully by PFest time later this year, I'll be able to go. I've met some really good folks and some freaks:p at the two I've attended, but there are several others I'd like to shake hands with and thank.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2009
    Hey, congrat's on the job front Noel!!! Good to hear. Cheers! :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2009
    Good news Noel!!! Hope this is a great year for you!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    edited March 2009
    Sure, what the hell...I'll go..
  • ND13
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I can talk you out of these CRS+s later on this year.:):cool:
  • george daniel
    edited March 2009
    Congrats on the job Noel.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2009
    I've only missed one out of the last 5 PFs (05 MD - was my daughter's 18th Birthday). I WILL be at PF09 if it materializes.

Congrats Noel! Now....if there is a PF 09 you better be there Noel!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2009
    I've had enough of you folks.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2009
    ND13 wrote: »
    Maybe I can talk you out of these CRS+s later on this year.:):cool:

Not gonna happen. Enjoy them before I get my SDA fix. ;)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2009
    I have a pair of CRS+ that have never even seen a connection to sound.....in the closet.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2009
    But have they seen you naked?

SOPA
  • lightman1
    edited March 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I have a pair of CRS+ that have never even seen a connection to sound.....in the closet.

Mark. Don't tease. ?!?!
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2009
    Polk Audio central here. Nothing cool, just location.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2009
    Hey gang, I've been remiss on this one....

In terms of PF '09.....and yours truly hosting.....if trietz3 wants to host, I'm down with that.

It's not that I don't WANT to but I've got a lot of balls in the air right now and it would probably be June before I can committ to a time and/or location.

That said, there WILL be a PF '09. If trietz3 doesn't want to or if the consensus that we want another BDT hosted fest....I'm down BUT I won't be able to nail down anything concrete until I get settled and figure out what my schedule looks like back in the US.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2009
    Congrats on the job Noel. Troy my first PF was at your house and I had a blast. Wherever its held I will be there.
  • shack
    edited April 2009
    Lasareath wrote:
    Let's try to do it this summer if possible, the last one was a little chilly out.

Tom,

Are you talking about the camp grounds where you guys held the Carver Fest?

If you are that place sounds Awesome!

We each have our own huts?

I prefer the fall. The mid September/October date has seemed to work well for the past 5 years or so.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2009
    /\/\ Gold, Jerry.:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • shack
    edited April 2009
    Lasareath wrote:
    At Polk Headquarters & at Al's house it was too chilly out.

It didn't bother SOME of us. We were out there well after midnight and were doin' just fine.

This year its going to be in the south...where fall evenings are perfect.

Besides...I would prefer to NOT see you in shorts and a light shirt. :eek:

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2009
    PolkFest was always in October, and worked for me. If not in the area of time not sure if it would feel like PolkFest. October nights where for prefect, and I sure why this was the time planed.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• george daniel
    edited April 2009
    eh,, I vote for late october
  • lightman1
    edited April 2009
    Yep. Same here.
  • ND13
    edited April 2009
    It best be in October if I'm going to have a chance at making it.
  • treitz3
    edited April 2009
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Are you talking about the camp grounds where you guys held the Carver Fest?
    Yes sir. :D

I wouldn't, however classify it as a campground though. Although to Donald Trump? Eh, he might consider it an "acceptable" campground. :p
  • treitz3
    edited April 2009
    Ok, let me fill you in on what I know and what I don't know. I have the utmost respect for TroyD and I do NOT want to step on his toes in anyway, shape or form. I have PM'd him and let him know what my intentions are whether it will be a go at one of his pad's or at the proposed location. I informed him that I'll let him make the decision since it was planned to be hosted by him this year. He'll have my full support and help in planning, regardless of location.

I would also like to throw an idea out there for either ridicule or praise. Don't whack me over the head or anything as it is JUST an idea. Ok, at the risk of getting stoned alive by you guys the next time I see you, here goes. Remember, it's just an idea and Mr. TroyD has first dibs on the locale.

As you know, many members of this forum are also members of the Carver forum. Many folks from this forum are also planning on coming down to Carverfest from NJ, MD, VA, NY, MI, IL just to name a few off the top of my head. Here's my proposal.

For this year only, and I do mean this year only, I would like to propose a Polkfest that's held at the same time and general vicinity of this year's Carverfest. That way folks that are members of both forums don't have to travel basically the same distance twice in a month's time.

The two events would/could/can be separate but together within walking distance of one another [longest walk would be about a mile]. Carverfest will be a 10 day event [Sept. 10th - 21st] this year and it would be nice to make PF longer than a day or two as well. Maybe a Friday, Sat, Sunday thing either the first or second weekend we'll be there.

The economy has hit most of us a little too close to home and this might help those who are members of both forums to not spend so much $$$ on gas, airfare, car rentals and accommodations. This was really the main reason I came up with this proposal. To help fellow members out a little bit financially.

I can work it to where CF and PF are completely separate and not even within eyesight of each other. I know the members of both forums will go as they will to and from both camps and if anybody from this forum is interested in hearing some esoteric Carver gear [Silver one tubed pre/Silver 6's/Lightstar gear/Silver 9 tube amps, etc..], they will have the chance to do so.

Couple of things to let you know more about the proposal..... There will be no issues whatsoever with noise as we have tested this location with major and minor events over the last 3 or 4 years. Even if the windows are all open and you are blaring away at 3:00 in the morning with everybody yelling at the top of your lungs to Hank William's Jr's "A Country boy can survive", no one will come and bother you. There is unlimited luxurious accommodations for however many would like to come and room for untold amounts of rigs. The power is not an issue, as it is plentiful and clean. The rates for said accommodations are lower than you would think with specials already in place.

Here's a couple of pic's to give y'all an idea of the accommodations......

3f34f34615f7070f53fbbb912f6b74d8.jpg

0c6a795c69f662605a14754ab6de21be.jpg

d211ebe5ea49a731d439118923897b63.jpg

a5e43b6ef15d6572bae8398ccdc1ee9e.jpg

Ok, well that's my proposal. Love me or hate me. I just figured that I'd throw it out there for everybody's consideration. I think I'll slide out now........
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2009
    PolkFest needs to be held at a members home. It is our tradition and has nothing to do with the Carverfest, which I understand is a stellar event. If you want to come to Polkfest then come. I am not for "sharing" time between the venue's and the inevitable comparison, let each stand on there own. Polkfest should be in October.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2009
    I assure you there will be no joint "fest". Carver can blow people at his own function, we blow our own.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2009
    Tom, no offense I also don't like your idea and feel it wouldn't feel like a PolkFest. Not to say I don't see your side, why you're thinking that way, or doesn't have its merit. But I'm not in with that one at all. Carver fest as come a long way but it too should a separate event, IMHO.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma