Game Consoles and RPTV

Options
shiznit311
shiznit311 Posts: 95
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I know back in the day you weren't really supposed to hook up games to rear projection TV's because they may mess up the screen. Is this a problem now. My brother-in-law hooked his PS up to his new 57' WS Sony and he said it's great; but before I hook my gamecube up to my 51' Sony I want to make damn sure it's not gonna cause problems.

I would like to hear the games on my HT, the sounds on the GX game TV I have are good; but I know I'd be blown away by hearing it in Dolby. I just don't want to screw up the TV in the process.
Post edited by shiznit311 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    $3k for my WS..I won't take the chance!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    the thing y back in the day you dident want to hook up game concils to projecton tv was beacues they tend to use a static background.and was a caues of burn in. now the thing you have to look out for is displays that stay in the same plave like chanel logos. but the new rp tv actuley will move the immage around so you dont get burn in. you cant notice unless you look fir it and need the grey bars to see it.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Not a problem now-a-days.
    It is an a myth that has been carried on and on.
    Was it ever a problem - you bet - but are u using an atari 1982 system. Ya that was a problem - now the game screens are just a little bit more active.:rolleyes:
    Other than HT, the point of getting a big screen is for gaming.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I initially had some fears about it, especially since I play so much Madden. It's been about a month now and I have no signs of anything negative, even with the gray bars up so I can look for it.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have used multiple systems on my rear projection for about 5 years or so now, starting with Nintendo 64 :D and I did worry at first but now I dont even think twice. I have not had a single problem with any burn-in what so ever. And it really is awesome to hook your system uo to your big screen for the first time! Its hard for me to play on anything smaller now.
  • fireshoes
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah, make sure your tv can do split screen picture-in-picture! We hook up 2 x-box's here and do 8-person Halo on one tv. Sweet!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yes you can damage your rear projection Tv with video games.However taken the correct precautions,you'll be fine.
    If you pause and go eat dinner or something,turn the TV off.Tip of the day.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • The Darkhorse
    The Darkhorse Posts: 101
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Me and my buds were gonna try you're split screen Halo idea but for some reason it didnt wanna work...............solution.........................there is now a 50" TV sittin next to the 65"er................XBOX on each one=great fun!!!!
  • fireshoes
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Well yeah, I would suppose that would work too!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I know systems are starting to program in methods to prevent burn-in. With my dreamcast, every game that I can think of, if you leave the game idle for more than a couple minutes, the colors will start to cycle and fade. Much like a screen saver for a computer. I don't know if PS2 does it, but I think I remember Xbox doing this.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    yes the x box dims the colors alot. but if you dont turn up the brightness on the tv you will not have very much of a problem. and also very the games and game play.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    We've sent people to the Moon, why can't we figure out how to prevent RPTV burnin? Personally, I think it should be dealt with and not put up with. You should be lost in the game and not thinking if you're hurting the tv.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited March 2003
    Options
    It has been delt with. LCD and DLP bigscreens do not suffer from burn it at all. It is just the CRT and Plasmas you need to watch out for. More so in the material you use. If you have a widescreen tv and watch tv 95% of the time (regular 4:3 material) you can get the black vertical bars burned in your screen. Some TV's use a lighter gray bars to help reduce the possiblity though. When I get a new TV it will be DLP or LCD, I just do not want to worry about burn in. With any luck it will be a DLP front projector! Just need the $ to come down some on those guys.
  • saylzman
    saylzman Posts: 3
    edited March 2003
    Options
    DLP IS DEFINATELY THE WAY TO GO.

THats what Im going to get here in a few weeks i have a small living room so it will be the 50" Samsung DLP but because its only 18 " deep and weighs only 80 pounds it will fit better in here than the 27 " console or the 32 " Proscan...

AND I CANT WAIT TO HAVE MY RTI70's from Polk within the Month too....

Its all coming together for this gamer.
    HT SYSTEM

H/K AVR 220
    POLK CSI 30 Center
    Polk R20 REar
    Polk RTI70's front

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    So long as you don't pause the game for an extended period, (without switching sources), I don't think it would be an issue.
    Make it Funky! :)