Seeking opinions on the CS350LS vs...

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Realize the CS1000 is the granddaddy, but not seeing any these days so...

How 'bout the CS350LS vs. the CS400 as center for now and then maybe center rear later on (if granddad comes along)?
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have the 400i and it is a very impressive center. I never listened to the 350 so I can't give you a comparison.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Six of one, I'd say.

I have the CS400i and a buddy has the CS350. Both are great centers. I like the fact I can biamp the 400i but the 350 is no slouch. Only dowside is it takes up a bunch of real estate.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Here's a point missed,
    the cs400 is tonally matched to the rt800's,rt1000p's,rt2000p's and the rt3000p's,etc
    The cs350 center matches the rt12's,rt16's,rt20p's,ls70'sls90's,etc
    It's not what center is better,it's what center matches what you own.Thats the key to betterHome Theater.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Good point, Mantis...

I've been looking primarily for the "non-i" models to match the older tweeters in my SRS's. I understand that, if anything, the "i's" highs are slightly smoother. This is what Ken and others have told me.

Anyway I've already decided to go with the CS1000 or 400, but the 350 just popped up as an option and it's a model that doesn't get a lot of discussion.

For my purposes here the comparison to the 400i as an overall performer does help.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've got the 350 matched with the ls90's and it has no problem keeping up. I'm looking to throw a 400 as a back surround for my 6.1 setup. I've been extremely happy with the 350. It plays at prodigious levels and the sound quality is top notch. I often go 3 front for music to get the full front soundstage. I set my center to large since it can handle the bass. The specs on the 350 and 400 are almost identical. I'd consider the 400 first, since it is a newer speaker.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Even if you high pass them - big speakers effortlessly fill a room with a sound tiny sats cannot hope to achieve. Get the 400 or the 350 - both of them will give you big sound.

As we discussed privately some time ago, I think the CS1000 is a compromise piece which would be wasted unless run on large. I wouldn't want that thing on top of my TV running a full range signal - I'd be worried about vibes.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Guys,

If either of you is interested i still have my cs400i for sale 250.00 shipped to your house, overnight and insured, let me know.

CRj
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by criverajr
    Guys,

If either of you is interested i still have my cs400i for sale 250.00 shipped to your house, overnight and insured, let me know.

CRj

Hmmm, you know today is my birthday...
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    criverajr,
    Best if you post this offering in a new thread in the Flea Market.

At that price it could go quickly. Describe condition and post pic if you can.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• criverajr
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It's on their but no takers, I will post a picture tomorrow.

CRj
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    CS350 ......... no affiliation. Just thought you might wanna check it out.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    shhhh ... (whispering) already on it, but thanks Chris...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    shhhh ... (whispering) already on it, but thanks Chris...

Tour/wallstreet - you would be hard pressed to beat the 400i for $250 shipped to your door insured, overnight. It's a fabulous center and a GREAT price.

One of you should jump on that center; 400i's are getting hard to find. Walter, it seems Tour2 has his heart set on the 350and you already have one, so I would buy that 400i in a heartbeat as a rear center for your set-up. It's a room filling effortless powerhouse of a center channel. Essentially the same driver compliment as an RT55i or a RT800i.

SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Criverajr - I sent you an email.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • criverajr
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Shack,

I did not recieve your e-mail so please resend to carlos.rivera@spcorp.com, I have some pictures that I will post shortly or send them directly to you send me an e-mail to discuss.

CRj
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec

Tour/wallstreet - you would be hard pressed to beat the 400i for $250 shipped to your door insured, overnight. It's a fabulous center and a GREAT price.

One of you should jump on that center; 400i's are getting hard to find. Walter, it seems Tour2 has his heart set on the 350and you already have one, so I would buy that 400i in a heartbeat as a rear center for your set-up. It's a room filling effortless powerhouse of a center channel. Essentially the same driver compliment as an RT55i or a RT800i.

I called around the local dealers and I found the last cs400! I'm going over to pick it up at lunch. It's a floor demo (not even hooked up!) at a very nice price. I'm going to a/b test it with the my cs350. The winner gets the sweet spot on top of the tv. The loser gets relegated to back surround duty. Although I think the asthetics of the 350 are far superior to the 400. I guess it's time to start looking for a new a/v receiver!
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Wallstreet,
    Good job... time well spent...
    You talkin' CC outlets in your area?
    And if you don't mind, how much for the 400 you bagged?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• wallstreet
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Wallstreet,
    Good job... time well spent...
    You talkin' CC outlets in your area?
    And if you don't mind, how much for the 400 you bagged?
    I skipped CC and went to a smaller boutique shop. Price was $250 w/full factory warranty.:D
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Excellent work wallstreet. You will not be disappointed with the 400. I'd like to hear your results on the exteneded A-B comparison.

SVS
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I would as well, I've always admired the 350 as well.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I heard his 350/ls90 combo first hand, absolutley STUNNING.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I heard his 350/ls90 combo first hand, absolutley STUNNING.

Why thank you Russman!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,656
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey guys-
    I've been in the forum for a couple of months but didn't have anything to say. I only joined becaues PCS said I could get a discount on a new driver for one of my LS50's. Here's my question- I have the LS350 center along with a pair of LS50's. For rears I'm using an old pair of Audio Tech HR2's (anybody remember them?) I've got a cheapo Technic's sub that "thumps" pretty good that I won in a contest. Where should I start? If I were to keep the LS50's as mains, what rears and/or sub would be the best? What if I moved the 50's to the rear? What new mains would work best with this setup?
    By the way, receiver is Sony DA1ES. I know........not many Sony receiver fans in here. I like it and I got a killer deal on it, plus it's a big step up from the old Pioneer pro logic it replaces.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My suggestions:

1. Keep your front stage as-is.

2. Find some rears with any generation of the tri-lam tweeter that suits your size/needs. (shelf, floor, on-wall)

3. Start a new topic, with more details on room size/budget for the sub. Off hand, to suggest something afforadable and powerful, The Dayton Titantic 10" from partsexpress - $349 complete. By doing that, you can move the Technics sub to the rears, if you wanted to.

4. Take the Audio Techs, and start setting up a 2ch rig, office / bedroom / garage rig - as complex or simple as you want. (Maybe even incorporate the Technics sub)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,656
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Russ-
    So you think the 50's are still pretty good, even by todays standards? Also, I'm probably at 80-90% 2 channel. Does that change your recomendation?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yes, even by 'todays' standards. ;)

80-90% 2ch? Thats even MORE of a reason to keep them up front.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ken brydson
    Russ-
    So you think the 50's are still pretty good, even by todays standards? Also, I'm probably at 80-90% 2 channel. Does that change your recomendation?

You'll want to complement the 50's with a sub. The mid and highs will sound great across all 3 (50/70/90's). The higher models just added more bass.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Yes, even by 'todays' standards. ;)
    80-90% 2ch? Thats even MORE of a reason to keep them up front.
    Cheers,
    Russ
    :lol::lol:
    Ken,
    As Russ pointed out a couple posts up, as you move forward with your system you will want to start your own thread. This will attract more members' advice. You'll get more, if not better, responses than Russ and wallstreet have provided. But not better humor (Good one Russ...) :)

Suggest that if you are going to follow their combined advice here, that you post a thread in the Subwoofer section. This is a center channel discussion.

I'm not fussing about hijacking my thread or anything, I've gotten out of it what I need. Just pointing out your best course to getting what you want.
    Enjoy...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli