Help in adding an AUX to a factory radio

mmadden28
mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hopefully a simple issue:

I have an AUX in on my car that I connect my iPod to (headphone jack) and it works well. For some reason, when we bought the Trailblazer, we never checked to see if had an AUX in-I guess we just assumed all new cars had one. Well it doesn't. :(

Its a 2007(pretty sure) Chevy Trailblazer with the factory radio with XM and a 5 or 6 CD changer. I believe the speakers are Bose.

So far some of the stuff I found to enable an AUX or iPod in would disable the CD Changer/Player and that's not an option. An FM modulator is also an absolute NOT HAPPENING.

The radio's control panel has a button labeled AUX, but there is no AUX in to connect to.

Can anybody tell me if an AUX exists for my vehicle/radio model and all I have to do is connect to it somehow? Or suggest some other way to enable me to add an AUX in or iPod interface? Its a Lease so replacing the Head Unit is probably not going to happen (unless its a trivial thing).

Thanks!! :)

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
Post edited by mmadden28 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2009
    There are things out there called isimple units (i believe). They run about $200 but should work for you. Not sure how much you were looking to spend.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2009
    Cody what do you think of the FM transmitters? Anything any good?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2009
    This should work. It is designed to work with the Chevy Bose systems. Crutchfield is usually good about adding detailed installation instructions with their gear.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541ISGM73/Peripheral-iPod-GM-Interface-Kit.html?tp=120
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • exalted512
    edited March 2009
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Cody what do you think of the FM transmitters? Anything any good?

I'd rather staple my eye lids shut than use on those.
    -Cody
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2009
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I'd rather staple my eye lids shut than use on those.
    -Cody

LOL I guess they are where they were when I last looked at them.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • exalted512
    edited March 2009
    ben62670 wrote: »
    LOL I guess they are where they were when I last looked at them.
    Ben

Well, the ones from like 5 years ago are pretty good. Then the gov't stepped in and said you cant have a signal stronger than XX amount. So then they sucked. Then a few got smart and are plugging directly into the antenna on the back of the radio...which are decent...but still with the lack of very low and very high frequencies (typical FM), but at the expense of the reception of every other station.
    -Cody
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited March 2009
    Thanks all-I'll check the iSimple and that Crutchfieled offering out. Actually looks like they both may be the same manufacturer.

I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to spend honestly. I guess it depends if it offres additional features. If its just providing an Aux in-I don't want to spend too much. $150 is probably OK for what Shack linked to.

Anything is better than an FM transmitter. I'd rather tune to an empty AM station. ;)

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's