Speaker assigning

I just completed my system. Rti 38's for rears, Rti 70's for main, Csi40 for Center. PSW350 Sub. My question is for the speaker set up. I have to define if my speakers are small or large. Is the Csi 40 considered large or small, and what about the Rti 38's? Large or small? It seems obvious that the floor standing Rti70's are large. What should I set the LFE setting on for my sub I have it a 0 db at this point My receiver is a Denon AVR 3802. Oh and what differences is sound would I hear if I bi-wired my csi40 and RTi 70'? Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by Negative-Pulse on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Set all your speaks to small, regardless of physical size. If you can specify the filter point, select 80 Hz. Set LFE on receiver to slightly less than the midpoint of the range. Calibrate entire system with SPL meter and test tones or calibration disc. Bi-wire often results in audible benefits - try it - you be the judge.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Not invalidating Doc's advice, it's good advice.

HOWEVER:

I believe *most* speakers that have 6.5 inch mid-bass/woofs can, and probably even SHOULD be run as large. Part of what make bass from the sub appear non-directional is a 'mask' by the other speakers, 1 octave higher.

A lot of people will tell you that 80-100Hz bass IS non directional. I disagree. I don't believe you get TRUELY non directional until you hit ~40hz. What helps make those frequencies >~40Hz from your sub APPEAR non directional, is the bass that comes from the other speakers, esp the main L&R, in the 40-100Hz range, even if the bottom end of the response is 6db down.

Without hearing your system, I would say set all speakers to large, and play with the center settings. Even though the CSi40 is a beast of a center, with 6.5" drivers, quite a few members have reported clearer dialog reproduction, clearer vocals, when set to small.

Become familar with a couple 'active' scenes in a couple of your DVDs. Something with loud effects, and human speech, vocals. Try BOTH settings, and see what suits you best. I'm not saying 'large' will be what blows your skirt up, but the speakers you listed can certainly handle it.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Not invalidating Russ’ non-invalidation, etc.

Agree that it doesn’t hurt to try both settings. Also when set to small it doesn’t hurt to play with the AVR’s crossover frequency setting. The proof is in the ears. However, multiple bass radiators can play bass havoc in a standard room, i.e., parallel walls, ceiling parallel to floor, etc. If you are lucky enough to have a “horn shaped” HT room (which I believe Russ does; right, Russ?) it’s far less likely to be a problem. If you’re like many of us, i.e., stuck in an HT “box”, bass reinforcement, or cancellation, from reflections, multiple sources, and reflections of multiple sources becomes a serious concern. The “large” setting carries the biggest probability of creating this issue; “small” with a very low X-over is next and the chances lessen as you raise the X-over point. If you have this “problem”, it’s likely to go away in the 80-100 Hz range.

So test, but when you test, don’t just test in your primary listening position. Move around and listen (or better yet measure) the room response to test signals at various low frequencies. (You’ll find test disc and SPL meter treads all over in the “Subwoofers and Bass Management” section). Otherwise you could find yourself sitting there in a reinforcing zone grinning from ear to ear from BIG gut rumbles during the final battle scene in SPR (when the tank rolls down the street), while your buddy sits three feet away in a cancellation zone thinking “What’s NegPulse know that I don’t?”
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Not invalidating Russ' invalidation by further extrapolating on Tour2ma's response.

1) The RTi70's might be flat to 35 Hz. They lack the deep bass extension to do complete justice to the full range signals found in all channels of today's DVDs.

Even if they are flat to 35 Hz at a low volume, they won't maintain that same extension at high volumes. The 6-1/2" bass drivers in the RTi70 simply lack the xMax and the Vd to fill a room with realistic impact and power at 35 Hz or below.

Your Denon is a fine receiver, but the amp section will reach its current and clipping limits more quickly when driving a full range signal into the mains and the center (if you go large here).

Of course, your PSW350 also lacks deep extension (I think it is rated to 38 Hz) so redirecting your mains to the sub won't help you any with extension.

In your case (because of the 350) it's a tougher call. Just be aware if you do run them on large, that you are asking them and your receiver to work a lot harder and don't expect miracles from them in the bass department with respect to extension or air moving capability. Standing waves issues aside (discussed by tour2 above), if you dont' run them too too hard, you might be OK.

This doesn't mean I changed my initial recommendation above, I haven't. I'm just trying to show you why Russ and I might initially appear to be polarized on this issue but when you delve into it and look at your entire system's capabilities, it isn't so cut and dried.

If you had a more capable sub, it would be a no-brainer (for me anyway) - run 'em all on small.

SVS
  • Negative-Pulse
    Negative-Pulse Posts: 7
    edited February 2003
    I initially set everything as large. It sounded really flat, and thin. The RTi70's sounded shrill. The CSi 40 sounded shrill and loud. I hardly heard anything from the RTi38's. As soon as I adjusted them to small, and set my PSW350 to 80 Hz, they started to sound much warmer amd rich. I really appreciate your help!! You all Rock!
    :):D
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Hold up a minute there bucko. We're not through with you yet.

How is your PSW350 connected to your receiver? Sub pre-out to the LFE (unfiltered) input, right?

If so, your filter at the sub is bypassed, so fiddling with it will accomplish nothing.

You either filter at the receiver, or at the sub, but not both. If you set your speaks to small at the receiver, then definitely use the LFE (unfiltered) input at the sub and disregard the sub's filter setting.

Just making sure here.....report back at your leisure.

Doc

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    I give up, from large to small, I've never heard of a speaker going from 'shrill' to 'warm'.

-Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Negative-Pulse
    edited February 2003
    Hey ! I have my sub connected to the "line in filtered" input jacks Left and right. Then it is conected to the one subwoofer Pre out jack on my Denon. I was told this was the way to do it by the people who sold me the receiver.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I give up, from large to small, I've never heard of a speaker going from 'shrill' to 'warm'.

-Russ

Russ, notice how I deftly avoided responding to his perceptions of large and small and went straight to the sub hook-up? :p

Listen Negative Pulse: If you set your speaks to small at the receiver, then DO NOT use the L/R filtered inputs. Use the LFE (unfiltered) input with one sub cable. Whoever told you otherwise gave you bad advice.

Also, calibrate your system with a SPL meter and test tones - sounds like you might have an imbalance of volume not related to the electronic speaker size you selected.

SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    I'm small.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Negative-Pulse
    edited February 2003
    Thanks for your input, this is by far the best advice I have had so far with my equipment. What are the advantages to the unfiltered vs the filtered inputs? and which RadioShack SPL digital or analog should I get?
    Thanks!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    Analog. Set the weight selector to 'C' and the response to 'Slow'.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    what Ron-P said is correct. but i'd go with a digital instead. i like LCD numbers.. to me seems just a little more accurate. Negative, also.. new speakers need time to "break" in.. say a few days to a few weeks. but getting a SPL meter will help.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003

SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    You either filter at the receiver, or at the sub, but not both. If you set your speaks to small at the receiver, then definitely use the LFE (unfiltered) input at the sub and disregard the sub's filter setting.

Negative-Pulse,

Be sure to follow Doc's (and other's) advice on the sub filter setting (meaning cranking all the way clockwise) to prevent double filtering. This is what Doc meant by "disregarding the sub's filter setting".
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Actually I thought that if you use the LFE input, the sub's filter is bypassed altogether, and therefore can be disregarded.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Actually I thought that if you use the LFE input, the sub's filter is bypassed altogether, and therefore can be disregarded.

That is correct and that's what I meant.

In Kevin's case, he has no LFE input and must crank the filter all the way up.

SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Correct, Doc - and sorry for any confusion I may have caused here.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • brentski
    brentski Posts: 96
    edited February 2003
    posted
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Ron_p is correct,
    He is Small.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Frank,
    Didn't need to know that...
    and definitely don't want to know how you know...;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    I give that a 5 laugh rating, and 2 thumbs up! THAT IS HILARIOUS FRANK! LOL!...and im with tour...i dont wanna know...how u know! LOL! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    FLOP,FLOP,FLOP

NEKKID, NEKKID, NEKKID

WWWHHHEEE!!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    Well now you have Bro.
    Settings on large and small do make a noticable difference in performance good or bad.I don't think his comments should be avoided,thats what he heard and should be respected for it.He didn't say"well this is what I THINK IT WILL SOUND LIKE".I respect hearing it even with dramatic words then thinking what it will do.I'll take that idea one step further.When I owned the rt series speakers and a Denon receiver,I noticed a big difference in overall performance when switching from large to small.When the centerchannel was in large, the sound was alittle chesty and thumpy.In small it was crystal clear with great impact.Main channels where ran in small once,they sounded terrible.Rears was always being changed untill I found small to be more dynamic.If you own a Denon receiver, then you knwo that helping it with dynamic range is a really good thing.The Denon's don't have much for power reserves.
    There aviod that.

This thead is a pretty good one.I like the fact that the sub's limitations where pointed out.The mains can play as low as the sub.This leads me to believe this is the wrong sub to use.It shouldn't be considered a sub,but a powered speaker box.

Sub's in my opnion need to go low,at very least solid into the lower 20's.A good sub can play down to 20hz.This is whats needed.

The system at hand,I would run the mains in large and the rest of the system in small.Then have the idea of getting into a better sub.
    The Denon can play the extremely easy to drive rt series in large or small at any volume level.The amp section is designed to handle 8 ohm load full range speakers.Just don't ask anymore of it or you'll have a problem.Good point that this was also brought up.Alittle off base but good advice nonetheless.With that in mind,dynamic range would and does inprove running all speakers in small.More reserve power to drive.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.