Impressed

2»

Comments

• eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited February 2009
    send me ur stuff and ill be happy to see what he can do, what are the pros of ur eclipse unit?
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited February 2009
    pros? one of best units ever made, u can do a search, 8v preout, no internal amp, dsp, 11band eq, time alignment, 3-way xovr(low, mid low, mid high, high), etc. also have balanced line driver that goes with it(16v) and nob remote(actually 2).
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    the 8v and line driver are def pluses other than that sounds about the same as the prs.

im working on trying to hook up an external hard drive to my hu with the pioneer adapter as soon as it comes in. everything i have read/been told says it should work no problem but ill have to see. in stead of having to buy a new 250 gb ipod im getting the adapter and hd all for less than 200. also the hd is a 500 gb not just a 250gb that the ipod would have been. also with the use of a hd and not the ipod i can keep the music in a non compressed format and still have plenty of storage room. i will keep everyone posted as to how eaisy it is to navigate through all the music with the unit.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    i'll say there both very nice units.
    sounds like a nice setup, lots of memory, noncompressed. i usually stay away from all that ipod stuff but i guess that way u won't b compromising much sq. proly some though, eh?
    i'd b more interested in gettin my a7 fixed...even pay well too
    guess u and your budy r in the sc area?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    yeah im in greenville sc. give me a description of ur unit u want repaired and what its doing and i will relay the info and see if he has any idea what it is off hand and about how much it would cost to fix.

yeah thats the goal to have about 15,000 or so songs alll in uncompressed format with out having to carry around 20 grand in cd's. also since my computer has a wireless card if im on the road and want a particular song i dont have on the hd i can dl it real fast shoot it over to the hd and play it all within about 5 minutes while driving down the road.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2009
    ok so i got home and did some listening and checkin on specs and yes it does do 6, 12, 18, and 24 db/oct for each. also has up to a 10 plus or minus db for the lp and up to a -10 for all others.

mine doesnt have the 24db setting. Everything else is the same.
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    i also want to concur that all the hu mentioned are great units with each having their strengths. lets face it if all hu were the same or had identical features it would be pretty boring and eliminate many of the threads on both this and other forums. i appericate everyones maturity in "discussing" each hu and not bashing each other on nonrevelant issues and without grounds. i simply wanted to brag, for lack of better terms, about the 800prs to inform everyone about its capabilities.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    well thanks for your interest in helping. cadence a7+hc class d mono, high current design, 1 ohm stable(underrated 1400wrms) pretty sure its the power supply. basically amp goes into diagnostic after couple min of playing (more recently, less time). i boxed it to b sent to cadence but they want $50 to test it plus at least $150 if it is power supply, not including shipping. thinking bout delivering it in person but believe local repair shop will do it for cheaper just don't know of a place quite yet. i'm checking my sub this weekend for burnt coils and hooking up it to ohm meter but pretty sure its amp
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    clipse, if ur pretty sure its the power supply have you looked into replacing it yourself. im not familar with the unit but if its like alot of others it shouldnt be to hard to do urself as long as u take your time with all the connections.

also im not sure of the dimensions but how expensive would it be to ship? i ask becasue after a new supply ,shipping both ways, and a little boot to xxxx for his trouble (wouldnt feel right not giving him a little something for his time) you might be just as well off buying a new amp. in our line of work (industrial drive component design, repair, service and installs) if the repair cost is over about 65% of the replacement cost typically you are better off replacing the unit.

Found this on ebay just now but im not familar with cadence so it might not be anything ur interested in
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cadence-Competition-Daytona-Amplifier-1000w-Amp_W0QQitemZ330307609610QQihZ014QQcategoryZ18795QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    not much bout 30-40 but i only live an hr or so away. oh i c. to sc prob lot more i'm in pa. u def have a point know where i can get a new supply?
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    that actually sounds like fun. can't say i have much experiance except for some electronics classes and i m a glass artist so maybe a steady hand helps.. any pointers, bout to dismantle this thing now...kinda late though..
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    dig around on the net and try and find a schematic of its layout or a few other amps layout as to familarize urself with what your going to find. follow the 12v and gound to the powersupply and go from there. im not the best expert in the world so anyone that has some experence in this please feel free to jump in. the only powersupply i have ever replaced was in a computer. speaking of be careful. if its anything like a computer one the caps are still chaged and could discharge on you even if there is no power connected as that they are always charged. and hell look at it like this, you cant hurt whats already broke. oh and post some pics!!!!!!!!

check out this link and keep diging on google. im sure this has been done many times by complete idiots that have the ability to take their time and do as told from a good writeup. not saying you are but good coaching and guidence can make anyone look like a pro.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    true true. what link? a7 has clear plexi backside..thanks for help man. nice thread and system setup..must sound nice. u new to mobile audio? must'a had some good advice from some good friends..good prices 2, wish i could find mms for 150
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    nah im not new to audio at all really. i got my first system back in 11th grade in like '99. it was a pioneer hu, kicker zr360 amp and two old school polk db10's with a set of 5.25" coaxials up front (pioneer i think) in a 1993 f150. all along the way in college ive always had a "system" but this is the first time in about 3 years ive upgraded and really paid alot of attention to the details and sq. partially i guess cause now i have the time and money to do so.

a side note i put about 20 sq ft of dynamat on my front doors today. the problem im finding with my 95 bronco all this is going into are 2 things well.....3 i think

1) the truck has tons of glass in it and an **** load of airspace i have to fill with sound
    2) the tucks roof is a removeable fiberglass top that is in no way conducive to sq.
    3) my rear quarter pannels are huge in comparison to most other vehicles.

both above 2 and 3 i feel can be overcome with alot of dynamat and a good layer of second skin its just gonna be alot of work and time. fortunately i have 90 sq ft of dynamat left. the top although be it fiberglass it is a very heavy dense fiberglass (much thicker than jeep tops) and it has a nice headliner i can remove and put the dynamat under to hide it. as for the glass there is nothing really i can do that i know of that wouldnt require tons of mods.

its kinda funny cause both my top and rear quarter pannels move about 3/8" or so under full power but i know this is killing my sound. hopefully in the next week or so im gonna be gutting all the interrior to replace the carpet and in the process put down my dynamay and second skin.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    thanks alot for the links. got half way through that article, skipped to the end, read the last paragraph and called it quits. thanks again but i didnt do that well in those electronic classes anyway. maybe if i can't find something else i give it another try. confidence just dropped though...180 sure is alot better than 329 from crutchfield. what do u think of those mms? how much pwer u sending them?
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    the mm's are figgin great. im guessing they are getting right about 110 watts since they run at 2.7 ohm. its kinda a guess since my amp doenst give ratings for 2.7 :rolleyes:
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    110 watts that must be pretty loud specially considering their high sensitivity rating? i always had 75w going to my fronts, that 2.7ohms has been calling me for a while...amp's 1 ohm stable. think that lower impedance, 2.7, sacrifices sq? proly not, eh?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    The lower you drop an amp, the more THD it is going to have. If you have a quality amp, the difference will not be noticeable.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    good answer. notice anything eprater? ever run 4ohm speakers to those channels? i have always run 4ohm on, like, 86db sensitivity speakers. i'd imagine going from there to 2.7ohm on a 93 db speaker would make quite a difference not to mention bi-amping...
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    just to remind everyone my amp is the memphis belle "big belle"

yes it is extremly loud and extremly clear. i consider the amp to be one of high quality personally and for 1300.00 retail it better be. i prevously had it on a set of inferrior rockford componets so to make a comparison vs 4ohm would be inaccurate. i have yet to go the biamping route because i was going to get a set of rear mm componets for fill but i just keep hearing bad things about running rear speakers. i am starting to consider it though but im just not sold on the idea of only fronts esp when i have 4 people in the Bronco and the fronts would be so far away from them with the sub so close. a note on the sub....it hurts. i went into my local shop the other day cause one of the guys asked me to brint it back by when i got everything in it since i had thier first new mojo 12 and they wanted to check it out. he said that it was one of the loudest 12's he had heard. it is memphis' new mojo 12 and i have 1300 rms on it in a gynormus box. the box is one i had built for an m3 12 last year. i oversized it for the m3 so it would hit the lower notes better. off the top of my head its like 19x18x24 with a 19x18x3 slot...yeah its huge but actually sounds pretty good. i am still planning on building the correct sealed box for it to see how much sq i pick up vs how much thump i loose. based upon how it comes out i will intergrate the box into my truck. as soon as my carpet comes in i have to stip the interrior dynamat it second skin it and put down the new carpet with a complete install of the amp and box (right now they are just sitting in the rear). another note on the biamping if i go that route im gonna have to turn the mids down some and the tweets down a ton...a ton!!!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2009
    Whao, you can connect an external hard drive to the 800PRS? I'm thinking about getting a 800PRS in the back of my mind, and it'd be awesome to be able to just use a HD for all my music. What all do you need to be able to do that??
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    just the pioneer usb adapter and the hd formatted to fat32 and u should be good to go, it also works with some of their av models so in theory you could load alot of video to it and watch movies/tv shows as well.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2009
    Wow, if that works out well, that'd be awesome! Keep us updated on that!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520