Impressed

eprater1
eprater1 Posts: 175
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
First off i want to thank those who have given me any advise over the past couple of weeks. This past week i got my head unit and componets installed with amp and sub and i am quite happy with how everything has turned out.

Here is my current setup
H/U: Pioneer Deh-p800prs
Components: Polk MM6501
Amp: Memphis Belle (The big belle not the baby)
Sub: New Model of their MOJO 12 2ohm DVC (not a spl sub like past models)

I know that the MM line is not as good as the SR but i am still very happy esp for the price of 145.00 that i paid new to the door. The head unit with the time alighnment feature is incredable. As i adjust it literally sounds like there is a singer infront of me moving laterally back and forth. I still have alot to get worked out for all the corssovers in both the head unit (it has independant LP, HLP, LHP, and HP adjustments) and the amp which has one for each sets of speakers (front, rear and sub).

This is my only question, i know everyone here says dont go with any rear speakers but i have a ford bronco that has alot of air space and i feel that i need some rear fill esp since the speakers are so far forward in the cab vs my seating position. infact the front speakers are just a tad farther from my head than are the front. Any recomendations.
Post edited by eprater1 on

Comments

• GSRBOB
    GSRBOB Posts: 172
    edited February 2009
    Man i want that same head unit.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    Is it the Premier?
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    yes and its amazing.

great display and navigation features and more audio adjustments than i thought poss in a head uunit. i can even control phasing for each speakwer independently, turn off the internal amp, built in battery meter, i mean all kinds of stuff. encased in copper not aluminum too.
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    Man i want it even more now.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    Its got all the bells and wistles of a high end deck that i like. Most of the decks similar to this one are usually over 500.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited February 2009
    Change the head unit from a pioneer to a alpine and you will like your system even more.
    Also I am a SQ guy and love the quality of music but I do have a rear setup for fill.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    If youre set on rear fill and since youve already got MM components up front, just get some MM coaxials to fit in the rear.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    Its not that im completly set on rears i just dont see how a quailty set of componets for the rear set up properly are going to hurt my sound quality esp since the rear speakers are just as close and on a very simalar plane to both the fronts. Mac can u elaborate?
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    Ive read some bad things about the volume knob stickin on the alpines.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    Change the head unit from a pioneer to a alpine and you will like your system even more.
    Also I am a SQ guy and love the quality of music but I do have a rear setup for fill.

What r your thoughts on the cda9886.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic

Wrong!!!

The pioneer has higher voltage rca's
    Better eq 16 band vs 5
    A much better user interface without that god awful greenish blue shi**
    A much better crossover
    And many more tuning options that the alpine doesnt
    Also i can hook up to a 250 GB hard drive to the pioneer not sure with the alpine

Yes i know about imprint but why but that seperatly when the pioneer comes with a very similar system built in and includes the needed mic when purchased.

I researched and tested each before purchasing and the pioneer outshined the alpine in every way that mattered to me. Im not saying the alpine is a bad unit or that people that have one are going to hell so dont turn this into a flame thread im just saying that i feel that the pioneer is a better unit and it has a longer warranty.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009

I guess I should get rid of my Pioneer too:o
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited February 2009
    1. how do u like that memphis setup?? hear lots of good things bout them. 3yr warranty for 1
    2.now 4 the real question of this thread...how'd u get mms for $145??!!
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    eprater1 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic

Wrong!!!

The pioneer has higher voltage rca's
    Better eq 16 band vs 5
    A much better user interface without that god awful greenish blue shi**
    A much better crossover
    And many more tuning options that the alpine doesnt
    Also i can hook up to a 250 GB hard drive to the pioneer not sure with the alpine

Yes i know about imprint but why but that seperatly when the pioneer comes with a very similar system built in and includes the needed mic when purchased.

I researched and tested each before purchasing and the pioneer outshined the alpine in every way that mattered to me. Im not saying the alpine is a bad unit or that people that have one are going to hell so dont turn this into a flame thread im just saying that i feel that the pioneer is a better unit and it has a longer warranty.

Exactly what my thoughts were. Im stickin with the Premier.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    1. how do u like that memphis setup?? hear lots of good things bout them. 3yr warranty for 1
    2.now 4 the real question of this thread...how'd u get mms for $145??!!

1) i absolutely love it, tons of power, alot of easy adjustments, and in my opinion the black looks great. it does the work of 2 amps in 1 and does it with an AB & D supply for both clarity up front and power in the rear. i had it on 2 memphis m3 12 initally and now one new 09 model mojo 12 and it just pounds.

2) same place i got my amp for 600, hu for 280 and sub for 315........flebay

all nib
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    1) i absolutely love it, tons of power, alot of easy adjustments, and in my opinion the black looks great. it does the work of 2 amps in 1 and does it with an AB & D supply for both clarity up front and power in the rear. i had it on 2 memphis m3 12 initally and now one new 09 model mojo 12 and it just pounds.

2) same place i got my amp for 600, hu for 280 and sub for 315........flebay

all nib

Damn you got your HU for 280. Are there any left?
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    sweet, nice prices. guess only difference is no warranty, eh? something bout ebay i don't like, but w/ those prices what the hey...
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    im fortunate when it comes to audio warranty stuff in that i dont have to worry about it. i go to church with xxxxx huff who is one of about 6 people in the us who is trained and licensed to work on pioneer, alpine, memphis ect. he has fixed both an amp and hu for me in the past. both of which were my fault, under no warranty, for free and took only about 10 minutes. hes a great guy!!!!
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    Man thats cool. Good to know people like that.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2009
    another 2 cents worth in the pioneer vs alpine debate. I have the pioneer 880prs and I LOVE it. A close friend has the 9887 running of pdx amps but his speakers are polk momo :-) anyway my opinion:

1. The prs scores on tuning options, has a better EQ, the fact that you can turn off the amp on hu adds to cleaner sound.

2. The alpine scores on the fact that all crossover offer a slope of upto 24db/oct. The more db's you can catch per oct the cleaner the sound. Is specially important on the sub.

Overall its about the sound, the Alpine sounds really sweet. Would I swap HU's with him? hmmmmmmm thats a tough one and I dont have an answer. Bottomline both are great HU's.
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    arun1963 wrote: »
    another 2 cents worth in the pioneer vs alpine debate. I have the pioneer 880prs and I LOVE it. A close friend has the 9887 running of pdx amps but his speakers are polk momo :-) anyway my opinion:

2. The alpine scores on the fact that all crossover offer a slope of upto 24db/oct. The more db's you can catch per oct the cleaner the sound. Is specially important on the sub.

Overall its about the sound, the Alpine sounds really sweet. Would I swap HU's with him? hmmmmmmm thats a tough one and I dont have an answer. Bottomline both are great HU's.

i will have to check when i get home but i think my pioneer goes to 24db/oct as well, i know it does 18 for a fact. if it does do the 24 would that settle it for u?
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    can u adjust the amplitude of each filter on the alpine?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2009
    mine doesnt. I'm in India and prs HU's we get here are slightly diff in technical details from the ones you get in US. Why? I dont know. On my HU I can do the sub upto 18db/oct but for the fronts and rear its either 6db or 12db.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    your church budy live close to pa by any chance?:rolleyes:
    prs for eq and interface(display), alpine for name(s/n ratio), cd7200mkll for everything else:D
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    ok so i got home and did some listening and checkin on specs and yes it does do 6, 12, 18, and 24 db/oct for each. also has up to a 10 plus or minus db for the lp and up to a -10 for all others. :eek:

does the s/n ratio mean anything if im not using the internal amp???? :cool:
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    sure does. whatabout your budy?:rolleyes:
  • GSRBOB
    edited February 2009
    I remember my first and only real high end HU was the old DEX-P1R.
    36944dex-p1r.jpg
    This thing was awesome. Im no expert when it comes to all these technical aspects, so i just listen to my ears. And my ears told me a pretty good story with this HU.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    bought a pioneer last year. lasted 1 year. :confused: they told me sory:o
    wish i had a church budy who could fix my cd8053 and my a7hc
    always wanted to use that thumb
  • eprater1
    edited February 2009
    sure does. whatabout your budy?:rolleyes:

who??? im confused?? u mean the guy that fixes audio stuff, what about him? :confused:
  • cadenceclipse
    edited February 2009
    who??? im confused?? u mean the guy that fixes audio stuff, what about him? :confused:

hook me up!