LSI series......why do you want them?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I assume your looking for better hi fi right?Better sound quality over the rt line?Looking for a way to get into higher end sound with out higher end prices?Well the Lsi line is fantastic........but not on cheaper gear.If your planning on an Lsi purchase,then plan on a Amp/pre or a flagship receiver to go with it.

My question is why do you want these speakers?Whats wrong with the rt line?What exactly are you looking 4?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the RT line.

I heard a complete LSi 7.1 system on a B&K flagship receiver with top line interconnects and wiring, and it was very nice.

Was it a revelation of audio nirvana that made me want to junk my system by the curbside and replace it with LSi? No way.

Could I put a % on it? I can try - I would honestly say his system sounded 15% better than mine. It costs 3X what I paid for mine. Not the most desirable performance/cost ratio I've come across lately.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well for the Vifa tweeters if nothing else!!!!!,
    Have thought long and hard about just putting them in my RT's, just haven't heard anyone else doing it successfully.
    As I have voiced my opinion before the RT is great for what it is designed for.. Theatre,,,but I listen to music just as much, the Rt line has not reproduced CD recorded music as well DVD's...which I know other speakers like the LSI line are more capable of,which frankly pisses me off because DVD music recordings are great on the RT line, Very pleasing to me everyway.....Steely Dan 2 against nature ,can definately make the system sing. Problem being 2 fold, very few DVD recordings, and are more expensive than DVD movies, that's crap.
    The recording industry has wined this year more than most about losing business to pirateing...which is partly true but only a small part of their winey problem, ..in my opinion there has been very little good music produced over the past years, most of it is marketed to teenagers, and my kid isn't buying more music than me, but the big one is that they have not improved vastly on their recording quality in years.
    Oh well,off the soap box, back to the original question. Higher highs, clearer highs, more open sound, more musical speaker as well as HT.
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well, the LSi line is far from the best speaker out there. The benefit is, it gives you a high quality at a middle range price. Something it's competition doesn't. If you put it with competition in it's price range, it blows away everything else but the Polk Rt series where it is significantly better but not by a huge margin.

I have heard better speakers but, not for that price. It may not be the best bang for the buck in your eyes because you are satisfied with the Rt series but for someone else looking for a bit higher level of performance, they may like the LSi series better. It's a cut corner that isn't really cut in anything but a price tag.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Because chix dig the LSi line. :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The LSi line is definitely a step up that I may take one day but for now the RTi line is great for me plus I have spent just a little more on my entire RTi HT and 2 channel system than the MSRP of LSi9's ($1,039.90).

RT55i - $399
    RT15i - $159
    CS245i - $145
    RT25i - $79
    Dayton Titanic sub - $349

Total = $1,131

Every purchase was from a Polk authorized seller and brand new.

I know you can get the LSis cheaper but I would have to spend over twice as much to get a similar LSI setup and know I would not get twice the improvement - I have heard the entire LSI line and they are great for the money but I would be hard to beat my system for "Bang for the buck".
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yes, Along with that SVS sub I will be purchasing a LSI9 or LSI7, Im not totally sure. I want something to make atleast one of the Adcom's scream bloody murder instead of laugh. Thats my opinion tho.

Yeah I am going to purchase it from Crutchfield so If I don't want it, it'll be going back. Experiment sakes I guess. Same with the SVS - If I don't like it......it'll hit the road jack.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz
    Because chix dig the LSi line. :D

Now that's the most intelligent post in this whole thread!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    Options
    First off, I agree with Phuz!!!!Sexy Speaks.

The decision maker in my choice between the LSI's and the RTi's was on the music end. Those Vifa tweets are like butter. But like it has been said, if you don't have the power forget it. I found out the hard way and had to buy another power amp for my LSI's. It made all the difference in the world. I found the LSI's to be much more accurate and musical. The only problem is that they bring out every flaw in recordings that I have never heard before. Every time I listen to a CD with the LSI's it's like hearing it for the first time.

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    They look like dust collectors to me, all that junk would look bad if u didnt dust it weekly...all that SHINY stuff....wooo hoooooo
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited February 2003
    Options
    They look like dust collectors to me, all that junk would look bad if u didnt dust it weekly...all that SHINY stuff....wooo hoooooo

Whatever! Hows your set of Bose cubes sounding? The same ones you listen to Manilow on. Come on, sing it for us MX!
    "Feelings. Nothing more than fee-eel-lings"!
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I was looking for increased detail and resolution for my audio system. Previous system was RT20p, CS300, FX500.

My evaluation preferences in descending order:

ML - very low WAF. These speakers must be set-up properly in the room. My entertainment room is not large enough to properly place these speakers.

Dynaudio - no longer sold in western Canada as the distribution is now through US. Sigh.:( This would have increased the local price by 20 to 30%. At this time, the retailer is no longer selling any hi-end audio components.

Totem - Excellent speakers (Dynaudio drivers). To get the models I would have liked would have been out of budget.

Polk LSi - These provided the best bang for the buck. Things continue to get better. More to follow for non-floor standing speakers in another post at a later date...

B&W...

I will not comment on a comparison between my previous speaker system to the new speaker system. The previous speakers were sold before the LSi series was purchased.

I will state that I did not think that I would have a system that sounds this good.