Yet again.....Bi-wiring

Options
heavyismymetal
heavyismymetal Posts: 28
After doing alot of research (mainly on the forum pages) on the issue of bi-wiring Polk speakers, I decided to let my own ears tell the story. Glad I did too, 'cause the way most bicker about the subject in the threads would confuse the novice....not that I'm in no way a pro at sound, but I do know what I like. So, taking a stab at good ole experimenting, put heavy gauge on the lows and lights on the highs on my freshly purchased RTi70's......not even "broken in" yet and I could tell an audible difference (for the better) as soon as I turned the receiver on. About the middle of next week, the PSW-350 should be in, and be an even better compliment to the already great sounding speakers that make up my Heavy Metal soundstage :cool: Till then, I guess I will have to keep the bass pussed out on the EQ. (only a little) Thanx for the posts and arguments on bi-wiring. Finally purchased the RTi70's after going back and forth over the Infinity Alfpha 50's or 40's.....Like I say, let your own ears to the deciding and after bringing everything from Pantera to Pink Floyd to the sound room at the store, the Polks delivered what I was looking for. Think I'll get a coupon for the acolades? Yeh, right...when Metallica puts out an album!!!
HT Setup:
Denon DHT-682
Denon sc-70s front/rear
Denon sc-70c center
Polk PSW-202 sub
Music Room Setup:
JVC RX-992 receiver
Polk RTi 70's Bi-Wired
Polk PSW350
The Car Barn:
Aiwa NSX-D30

Post edited by heavyismymetal on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Polk Audio. :)

"let your own ears to the deciding"

Good stuff, and good music choices too. heheh

\m/
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've been saying it all along.You gotta try it before you judge it.I can see why you said what you said about the topics of bi wiring in here.
    Anyways follow your advice and you won't go wrong.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey Heavyismy metal,
    That's why all the bickering though and sometimes some of the more fun threads, you gotta remember no two people hear things the same. Two guys could be standing in the same spot hearing the same speaker/ wires/ amp what ever. One might say it's the best thing he has ever heard, the other might think it's crap.......
    I'm with you though...in my experience wires make a big difference in the sound and sound quality....they are part of the system.
    Enjoy the 350.... I have found the best results for that unit to be in a corner..play with it and see what you like.
    Enjoy Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    What us argue???? No way... we all get along, right Micah?

Most "spirited discussion" I've seen is around the wire used, not single vs. bi- runs...

Welcome to the Club... good advice and good times abound within...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • heavyismymetal
    heavyismymetal Posts: 28
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanx for the welcomes to the forum, I have read some good threads on advice and such.......hope to get more in the future. Trying to work with the wife on speaker and sub placement in our small room that we share as an "office" for her and a "jam room" for myself........I think I'm winning and she is going to take the computer and desk out of the room....opening up more floor space for me to properly set up my equipment and have some elbow room. Aint I baaad? Small room (15x9 )with hardwood floor and plaster walls.....thinking about haging some heavier drapes and maybe a couple of blanket racks with some cool Indian blankets on 'em to help get the "hollow-ness" out of the room .......any thoughts on this? (didn't mean to get all Martha Stewart on ya's) but an issue I have been considering.
    HT Setup:
    Denon DHT-682
    Denon sc-70s front/rear
    Denon sc-70c center
    Polk PSW-202 sub
    Music Room Setup:
    JVC RX-992 receiver
    Polk RTi 70's Bi-Wired
    Polk PSW350
    The Car Barn:
    Aiwa NSX-D30

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    win now... pay later... ;)

I'm no acoustics expert, but:

1. You can treat for highs easily and mids fairly easily with what you're mentioning, but lows get tough - set up is key here.

2. Don't forget the floor - wall to wall with thick pad if you can, but at least a good size throw with pad.

3. Start a new thread in the "Sub-woofer & Bass Management Area" - changing topics in mid-stream will not get the attention of those that can help you most.

Call it "How do I tame a small, bright room for 2 ch" or some such, you'll get help and I'll read and learn as well...

Edit: as for bass taming I found this -
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7696
    some authoritative posts near the bottom. You don't seem to be moving into HT as yet,but you will still benefit form the purchase of a Radio Shack SPL meter ($35) and an Avia or other HT test/ set-up disc (~$17) to optimze your sub's placement. I have the former and am getting the latter.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey, heavy....

Check this out. Maybe you could run a test and post your results...

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7759
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli