sub vs. powered towers

Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
i have rti100s for mains and i get some serious bass from them...what would happen if i got a sub? would it really make a difference? or just overpower all other frequencies?
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    i have rti100s for mains and i get some serious bass from them...what would happen if i got a sub? would it really make a difference? or just overpower all other frequencies?
    Ohhhh - Airplay, so much to learn.
    First off, if you are getting "serious bass" from your rti100's - a high quality sub may put you in the emergency room.;)
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    well the bass from the speakers has already broken my computer desk and knocked other assorted things of of shelves
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    maybe i should have asked if i should get a sub or if the money could be spent in a better way
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    whats a good sub company? and how much would i need to spend?
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited January 2003
    SVS

*drool*
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • LiquidSound
    edited January 2003
    By the way, exactly how did it break your computer desk?
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    the end vibrated off... i know it was my speakers because when i didnt listen with the subs on i had no problems
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    the svs subs seem like overkill, i dont have the room, desire, or need for sumthin like that. maybe when im older and livin on my own ill consider it but for now is there anything that would work better for a fairly small room......i dunno they dimensions of my room but i bet they are around 16x10
  • LiquidSound
    edited January 2003
    Then you should get two. ;)
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Maybe I should get rid of my rt1000p's - my PSW1200 - and my Bosten VR500 and get a pair of RT100's. I am getting ripped off.
    I hav'nt broke nothing - just keep putting cracks in the wall and ceilings. Darn it!!! :D
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    haahaa i think my parents would have a stroke if i put two SVS subs in my room and instead of breaking desks it will be bones.
    The rti100s can go down to 25hz i think so maybe ill just stick with them.......if i bought a sub from polk would i notice a significant difference?
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    heres another good question....sorta.......is having 2 6" subs with 80 watt amps just as good as having one 12" sub with 160 watts?
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    heres another good question....sorta.......is having 2 6" subs with 80 watt amps just as good as having one 12" sub with 160 watts?
    Not even close. Like I said so much to learn.
    haahaa i think my parents would have a stroke if i put two SVS subs in my room and instead of breaking desks it will be bones.
    Like I said
    a high quality sub may put you in the emergency room.
    Seat back and get your read on. A quality powered sub will make big diff and it has nothing to do with drowning frequences - quite the opposite it feels in the low freq. that are missing from your towers. By the way:
    Airplay, (living with parents) how old are you?
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    im 15......pretty nice system for bein so young huh? dont u wish u were me...lol
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    im 15......pretty nice system for bein so young huh? dont u wish u were me...lol
    Airplay there is someone on the forum that you will have fun playing with - his name is Mx for short (sid) and he just turned 14.
    Anyway I have not heard the what the rest of your system is - please list.
    Do i wish i were you? :lol::lol:
    He don't know me vewy well, do he!!!!!:D
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    lol i have rti100s for mains as u know, a CS245i for the center, some yamaha 3 way speakers that i dont know the model number for as surrounds, an aiwa av-d57 receiver, a panasonic dvd player and my peice of crap rca 19" TV haahaa........im sure ur system is better but hey i cant have a better stereo then everyone haahaa
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    It's ok, your only 15. Right!!! You can learn alot from the Polk guys. Take Care.
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2003
    ya ya make fun of the young kid
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    The rti100s can go down to 25hz

That is probably the -10 dB point; in other words a useless specification. F3 point is 36 Hz - below that it's goodbye charlie.

These guys summed it up. A great sub will go deeper, cleaner, and louder than your RTi100's.

I would be happy to own any of these subs from:

Paradigm PW2200 or Servo 15
    SVS any 20 or 16 series
    HSU VTF-3 or TN1220 HO
    Velodyne HGS II 15 or 18

If you don't like the cylinder, SVS has a line of new box subs - see their News section.

Goinganzo has a very nice Velo CHT12 for $250 that would be an EXCELLENT upgrade for your age and price bracket. Check out the Flea Market. Great price, very good starter sub - miles ahead of the RTi100.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    SVS - overkill? Can someone buy me one? I need two subs...haha!
    My system is.....
    Mains - RT35i
    Center - CS245i
    Surrounds - rt25i
    Subwoofer - M&K MX-90
    Receiver - Yamaha (soon to be a pioneer elite, with adcom amps)
    25 inch magnavox tv
    pioneer dvd player
    hitachi vcr
    and i might get a SVS sub to go in my closet....lol

BTW - how in the el can Sid be for short of MX? when SID is 1 letter longer than MX???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    AKA - Sid........MX for short user name.
  • Airplay355
    edited February 2003
    grrrr dr spec was right.....i dont like being tricked.........oh well tricks or no tricks that doesnt change the fact that i love my speakers, after talking to u guys however a sub seems like a good idea
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    OK,
    what everyone missed on this topic is LFE channel.Powered towers I believe get missused.In my opnion powered towers should be used like any other full range(or close to it)speaker.Like the rti100's,setting them up is as follows:
    Large setting in your processor,then blending the sub section with music.The goal here is seemless blend from top to bottom.This will give you good music replay.
    Home theater needs a seperate sub.I know that using powered towers seem like a replacement ,but in my opnion this is far from the truth.So the .1 in your system needs it's own.
    Your system calls for a psw450,psw550,or a psw404.These Polk sub's should be a nice .1.There not expensive and they play really nice with other polk speakers.
    The Velodyne offer at 250.00 is a hell of a good deal, if you can jump on it,I'd say JUMP.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Airplay355
    edited February 2003
    when i use the LFE output though, my bass seems to disappear....maybe its my receiver but the bass is much louder (which i like) when i have the rti100s hooked up with regular speaker wire.......why is this? do i need a subwoofer cable or sumthin?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Ah, man u got some pics. Is your rig in yo room? Mine in da room and man its annoying, no towers can be placed in my room. If they could they'd be side by side! HAHA!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Airplay355
    edited February 2003
    this is my old room, its symetrical so the same thing is on the other side in the exact same places....that wall is 10 ft i think
  • Airplay355
    edited February 2003
    in my new room theres alittle more space but for now the same basic set up with the surrounds outside the mains......the cs245i is on top of my TV now also.........the yamaha is the one with the brown grill, sry the grills r on didnt think to take them off at the time
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Cool Cool...click the link 'System' to see mine
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    I see christmas lights....
    BTW - I would love to have towers.....my room is furniture loaded tho..
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    here is some new pics.....blah
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC