Resident Evil/SUPERbit

Options
ted538
ted538 Posts: 63
edited April 2003 in Music & Movies
Just got done watching one of the most amazing dvds I have ever seen...the picture quality and amazing sound blew me away...if you don`t have this flick in your collection,you are missing the boat...god bless Super bit!
Post edited by ted538 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Resident Evil was already a great transfer and a very good movie.
    Superbit gains points in the DTS department but the DD soundtrack was very solid. Much like the The Filth Element already a stunning demo quality dvd the Superbit showed slight improvement in video quality over all.
    One of my favorite Superbit dvd's to date is Bram Stokers Drakula - simply a must buy. IMVHO;)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Superbit gains points in the DTS department but the DD soundtrack was very solid. Much like the The Filth Element already a stunning demo quality dvd the Superbit showed slight improvement in video quality over all.IMVHO;)

they're doing Superbit **** now?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ted538
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I will have to pick up Drakula...thanks Scott...my ears are still beat up from last night.
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My screen may only be a 42" RPTV, but I can tell a big difference between the 1st issue and the Superbit Fifth Element. Space looks black with points of light instead of brownish, and there is much more detail in peoples faces, much to the pockmark dismay of the actors. I'm looking foward to the Superbit release of Das Boot in 2 months.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    One of my favorite Superbit dvd's to date is Bram Stokers Drakula - simply a must buy. IMVHO;)

Hey Scott,

I took your advice and rented Bram Stoker's "Dracula" tonight. Not the Superbit version, but if I like the original I'll pick up the Superbit. We'll see...

Kevin
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm about to buy Resident Evil and Air Force One. I think I'm going to spring for the Superbit versions (this will be my first Superbit purchase).

Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

I don't think I'm ever going to get any studying done now that the home theatre system is set up correctly. I'm addicted!
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by geekmedic
    I don't think I'm ever going to get any studying done now that the home theatre system is set up correctly. I'm addicted!

Your choice... Just one favor, please don't set up practice in TX... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ted538
    edited January 2003
    Options
    you won`t be disappointed my friend...superbit is awesome.
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

Your choice... Just one favor, please don't set up practice in TX... ;)

Too funny. I'm thinking of applying to Baylor Med for residency. :p

Anywhere near Houston?
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sorry for multiple posts...

I just viewed the Superbit version of Air Force One and was really unimpressed.

Please tell me Resident Evil is better. I'm reserving it for tonight with the girlfriend.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Look Superbit is not night and day. I CAN tell the difference because I have a reference 8 foot projection home theater.
    For most people you are not going to see much of a diff.
    Now HD DVD on the other hand is going to be freaking amazing.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options

they're doing Superbit **** now?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Goddammit that was funny. Good catch.

Scott - is Superbit Dracula really that good? I love that flick.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott - speaking of reference quality HT - how could you think the transfer on BI was anything less than spectacular? I thought you said it really sucked over in the BI thread and I can't imagine why.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks Doc... I was beginning to feel unappreciated...

geekmedic,
    Unfortunately yes.... http://public.bcm.tmc.edu/
    But since I'm on the board of admissions... what'd you say your real name was? ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Goddammit that was funny. Good catch.
    ****!!!!:lol:
    Scott - is Superbit Dracula really that good? I love that flick.
    Like I said not night and day but Superbit does improve on black levels, detail and DTS sound. Dark movie at times, great day time color scenes and intence soundtrack. If you really enjoy this movie as I - I believe the Superbit was a nice touch up to a great movie.
    Scott - speaking of reference quality HT - how could you think the transfer on BI was anything less than spectacular? I thought you said it really sucked over in the BI thread and I can't imagine why.
    Yes, I was VERY disapointed in (BI) too dark even grainy at times - not an engaging soundtrack at all. Not to mention very boring and already done. Just my opinion. Did nothing for me.
    A reference quality movie of the latest was ****Minorty Report**** Great Plot - great sound - and outstanding picture quality.
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Options
    OK, the girlfriend and I watched the Superbit Resident Evil DVD tonight on my wimpy 43" Hitachi widescreen (nowhere near as big as the 8 foot projector, but that's another story). I could tell a difference. The picture was awesome. Maybe there was some problem with the reference version AF1.

Tour, I'll be applying for residency in about 6 months. Baylor's surgery program looks impressive, especially with Ken Mattox there. I'm a huge trauma junkie, so I'm thinking of trauma surgery. It's scary to think that in only 16 months I'll have MD after my name.

I was just kidding about the studying part... I study all the time. All the time I tell ya! Never take a break. I'm actually studying right now while I'm posting this message! ;)
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Resident Evil was already a great transfer and a very good movie.
    Resident Evil was already reference quality. It seems to be a tread with superbit. Hope my projector doesn't give big **** envy. The margin of difference in picture quality is greatly reduced with a smaller size tv - especially HD crt's. If a transfer is stellar or crappy - you can easily tell with a HQ projection system.
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Options
    **** envy? Heh!

I would love to have a good projector system, but my apartment is just way too small to support such. The 43" is about as big as I can fit into my apartment... plus I wanted something to sit on top of my entertainment stand.

When I build or buy a house, then I'll have to seriously look into some projector systems.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    When I build or buy a house, then I'll have to seriously look into some projector systems.
    Cool - HomeTheater projectors get better and better every year. Never step into a movie theater again. Take Care!!!:D
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like superbit. DTS rocks the house.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I was just kidding about the studying part... I study all the time. All the time I tell ya! Never take a break. I'm actually studying right now while I'm posting this message! ... It's scary to think that in only 16 months I'll have MD after my name. ;)
    Know this is true as I lived around Med students in my college days. About all they ever did was study. "Multi-tasking" capability, such as you are displaying, was a must, if they were to have a life...
    Tour, I'm a huge trauma junkie, so I'm thinking of trauma surgery.
    Now though there's this new equation forming in my engineer head...
    "trama junkie" + "Resident Evil" lover = a whole new concern!!!
    :eek:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Now though there's this new equation forming in my engineer head...
    "trama junkie" + "Resident Evil" lover = a whole new concern!!!
    :eek:

Never thought of it like that. I'm sick I tell ya!

Scott, what kind of projector do you have? What kind of screen? Any advantage/disadvantage to using a front projector v. a rear projector?

I foresee many a dollar bills being spent when I build my house. Oh well, what's life if you don't enjoy it? Who says that staying at home is boring and routine?
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Scott, what kind of projector do you have? What kind of screen? Any advantage/disadvantage to using a front projector v. a rear projector?
    Sanyo PLV60 HT
    120" Da-Lite
    Front Advantage - get up to a 30 foot screen (dedicated HT)
    Front Disadvantage - having to buy a $300-$500 replacement bulbs.
    Rear projector - nice a for a second "living room" theater (for dish viewing) smaller size.

Here are some pics - a bit out of date now.
    Scott's HT Sanyo PLV60 HT
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sanyo PLV60 HT
    120" Da-Lite
    Rear projector - nice a for a second "living room" theater (for dish viewing) smaller size.

Here are some pics - a bit out of date now.
    Scott's HT Sanyo PLV60 HT
    Scott,
    Once again, nice... (I know you don’t get tired of pos. fdbk)... I think I see what you mean about dated… where are the “steroids”? Plus the Sanyo review talk's about the upcoming release of “The Fugitive”.

A few serious questions:
    I take it the Da-Lite is the screen. How transparent is it sound wise? Is "speakers behind" an option? Looks like you’re rigged for a roll up. Powered to a hiding place behind the top curtain? Heavy enough so no anchoring need to keep from swaying when A/C kicks in? And, if you don’t mind, approx cost of it? the Sanyo? I easily found manf. links for both, but prices are pretty buried, if there at all. All different models, too... Have the Sanyos' performance changed much? improved?
    CS looks to be sitting on the “master control”… yes?

Gotta add viewing angle to that advantage list...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sanyo PLV60 HT
    120" Da-Lite

Niiiiiice.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of prices are we talking about for the projector and screen? Especially for the screen. Just curious what kind of spending I have to look forward to in the next few years.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Wow!!!!
    Settle down guys.:D
    Glad to see the interest in front projection. When one becomes "serious" in HomeTheater front projection is now the standard. As with any other element in A/V it comes down to "how much ya got to spend".

My screen is now permanent (fixed screen)- meaning it is framed to the wall.
    Da-Lite white matte 120" screen $180 + DYI "grey" paint $35.
    They can run $200 - $10.000.
    How transparent is it sound wise?
    You can buy transparent screens if behind speaker placement is a must - but it WILL cost ya.
    I bought my Sanyo a month after it came out $5500. With the new model out you can buy mine now for $3000 and the new model isn't much better. To me $3000 for up to a 30 foot screen in HD is a no brainer.
    You want to learn about projectors
    want the best service, very knowledgable staff and cheapest projection site on the web.
    I know because this is where I got my projector. Since my projector came out it has been on thier top 5 list. You will see it on the front page for $3000. Smoking deal.

Projector People
  • geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    For some reason I thought the screens were a lot more expensive.

Heck I might can do a good setup for $5 grand... a lot less than a plasma TV!
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    For some reason I thought the screens were a lot more expensive.
    Heck I might can do a good setup for $5 grand... a lot less than a plasma TV!
    A $5000 budget - EASY!!!! And much much larger screen.;)
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Scott, you know you love the attention... :)

Thanks for the reply and the link.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2003
    Options
    how many hours do you get on the bulb befor haveing to replace them?