RTA 11Ts - Popping

dsgreens
dsgreens Posts: 5
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
My speakers are popping? It's very intermittent and when it does pop it sounds like a large branch cracking. I've had my amp serviced thinking that was the problem, it's just a sony but runs 110 a side that should be plenty of power. I worked fine for about a yr and a half with the sony amp. Can anyone give me some ideas for testing them to figure out the trouble. Or even provide some idea to the trouble. Also can someone provide the specs for the speakers, I can't find the manual and can remember the numbers.

Thanks
Dave.
Post edited by dsgreens on

Comments

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited January 2003
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited February 2003
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2003
    Hello Dave,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum, RTA owners are always welcome. Most of the time a popping sound, from one of the 6.5" drivers is indicative of a damaged spyder or voice coil requiring replacing the driver itself. That part is probably an MW6510 which you may telephone us at 1-800-377-7655 for ordering information, please mention your Club Polk membership.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • dsgreens
    dsgreens Posts: 5
    edited February 2003
    Ken,

If it is the driver, how can I tell which one is damaged. Is there a technique you can suggest for finding the problem, after all each speaker has two.

Dave
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Take ur ear....Turn your music on -- Then....Put your ear close to the grill, or on it if you want....THEN! run down the speaker until u identified the problem....until then get a hearing aid.....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2003
    Hello Dave,
    One method that owners sometime use is to set the balance, on your receiver, so only the left or right channel is playing. After removing the grille cover use a medium size pillow to cover two or the three components (you'll probably need two pillows to cover the two drivers, since they are separated by the tweeter). This provides enough isolation to identify which component is the culprit.
    Regards, Ken Swauger