New Receiver

Options
Devildog
Devildog Posts: 68
I just received my new Denon 4802 to replace my 4800. I have a couple of questions for our forum. Dr. Spec have helped me in the past (I have the frequency sweep and worksheet downloads, thanks Dr. Spec) and I've moved my subs (PSW650 and HSU VT-2) to the front, per Dr. S's suggestion. My questions are, 1. I had a Denon POA5200 powering my front mains with the old five channel 4800. Will it be better to "lighten the load" using the main pre-outs on the 4802 or just use all seven channels on the new receiver? 2. I'm in fear of what I've done with all these subs. I never realized the problems with cancellation and standing waves, etc. I have RT2000i's for fronts and a CS1000 for my center. Can anyone suggest an optimum connection setup? I currently split the sub (LFE) output of the receiver and send it to the line levels of both subs. The center is bi-wired and the mains are speaker level to the tops with a 12 ga. wire replacing the metal plate connector between the posts. Sorry for the length of this but I wanted to cover the problem. Thanks, Rick:confused:
The Revolution will not be televised.
Post edited by Devildog on

Comments

• Devildog
    Devildog Posts: 68
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sorry if it looks like I flunked English 101. I meant Dr. Spec and Mantis "have" helped me in the past, but really, ALL of you have helped me by asking and answering many of my questions made to each other. Iv'e been a member for almost a year now and I can only say that this forum is really great. BTW, If I had it to do over again I'd go with LSi 9's and a center without subs and try to avoid some of my problems. I'll wait to start rewiring until I hear from you, Rick
    The Revolution will not be televised.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    1. I had a Denon POA5200 powering my front mains with the old five channel 4800. Will it be better to "lighten the load" using the main pre-outs on the 4802 or just use all seven channels on the new receiver?
    I would use the 7 channels in the Denon.Your speakers are easy to drive.The 4802 has plenty of power to drive them into insane levels.No worries there.
    2. I'm in fear of what I've done with all these subs. I never realized the problems with cancellation and standing waves, etc. I have RT2000i's for fronts and a CS1000 for my center. Can anyone suggest an optimum connection setup? I currently split the sub (LFE) output of the receiver and send it to the line levels of both subs. The center is bi-wired and the mains are speaker level to the tops with a 12 ga. wire replacing the metal plate connector between the posts
    Ok,
    this I believe should be cleaned up a bit.I don't think you need 2 sub's.You already have powered front array.I would pick the sub you like better out of the 2 and use just one sub.If your roon is extra large,then we can try to work with 2 sub's.But I don't think it's nessary.
    Hookup I like to keep simple.If you sell off the extra amp and sub,that will allow you to get into some better cable with little added money.Depending on which brand floats your boat,wiring with better cable always yields better performance.From my experience with Rt series,using bi wire cables are the way to go.Use bi wire cable equal length for front 3.I perfer Premade cables,but if your into building your own,then buy some 4 wire,shrink tubing and ends and away you go.
    The sub should stay in the front half of your room.Corner loading is most popular,but can cause some problems.Putting sub's into the corner ,then pulling out of the corner to tune it is a good place.
    So thats my advice.I think your system can really be good with little help.I like the Avr4802,it's a good sounding receiver.Works really well with Rt series speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.