LSi15 vs LSi9 with PSW650

infinitiqx4
infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
edited January 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I am looking for some input from the 2 channel guys since my new setup will be about 80/20 music/movies. I currently own a PSW650 and nothing else will be transferred over, so there are a lot of options. This poll is asking what you would recommend for 2 channel duty. I am not set on an amp yet, but may go with the Rotel 1075 which would do 200x2 for stereo (4ohms).

I received some suggestions of doing LSi9 with dual PSW650 over LSi15. I was originally hesitant, but after playing around with my 650 realize that I do like it on music. Does it really make sense to do dual subs in stereo, or can I just use one sub (and avoid the apartment neighbors really hating me)? Poll away!

Thanks.
Post edited by infinitiqx4 on

Comments

• infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Some notes on music preferences:

I do listen mostly to music like Incubus, Lifehouse, Rusted Root, Guster, Coldplay, etc. Not much classical but this system has to be versatile for HT and various music genres since it will be my only setup for the next 5 years at least. I like to feel my drums. I do like bass but am getting a little tired of my car's bass which can hit upper 140dBs. Those JL Audio subs are very musical, but I can never quite get them to fit in with my MB Quart Q series (constantly adjusting the subwoofer output depending on the song- and there is either too little bass, or not enough midbass in comparison- the bass never sounds right until the overall volume is really high). In contrast my Polk PSW650 with Aiwa bookshelves sounds pretty darn musical and fits well. Sound is more refined and can be listened to at all volumes (which is pathetic considering the car system's high end cost). The PSW650 will be used for HT for sure, but I need to plan 2 channel setup into it and decide between LSi9 and LSi15. I was all about the LSi15 until I got some responses suggesting this change to LSi9/sub. Please help me decide!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by infinitiqx4
    Those JL Audio subs are very musical, but I can never quite get them to fit in with my MB Quart Q series (constantly adjusting the subwoofer output depending on the song- and there is either too little bass, or not enough midbass in comparison- the bass never sounds right until the overall volume is really high).

I wish I could help you decide but I'm not sure. I used to have the same problem as you mentioned. In my case I found out the problem was with me, not the equipment. I was setting things wrong. A few things I've learned along the way is that not all songs have the same bass level, nor should they. Think of it this way. If you walk in one club they will have a given bass level for some particular band. The room will sound a particular way as well. Go somewhere else and another band will have a different bass level and their room will sound different. Keep in mind when you load your next CD you are listening to their chosen room and levels. So how do you set it up for everything? About all you can do is set up your system so that 90% sound close to right. There will be a few which have too much bass energy and many that don't have enough (for your tastes) because there are a lot of different "tastes" out there. If you try to set up one particular CD to be exactly as you want then you really can't expect all the others to be the same. If they were, well, you would be removing this option from the artists control. I do agree that some are grossly exagerated or atenuated. Don't focus so much on bass. There are too many other sounds waiting to come out and be appreciated!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    for two channel . you need two subs with two satelites, with speaker level inputs. to get a balance sound stage. you blend ea. sub to ea. channel for a deeper stage and cleaner natural open sound.
    and if set up right you cant beat that type of system, thats my openion. the powerd subs take the strain form the satelites for cleaner meds & highs, and having two subs gives real tight clean balance lows.

( the psw-650 are a real musical sub, and two that are stereo pair are pheomainal, )

some subs, why they have real good loud low tight bottem end over do it and kills the sound stage. most of these subs are good for movies

drawbacks; expensive, hard to setup, got to have good balanceded software or music ; cds, dvds, lps, tapes and so on.

examples; that produce good clean balanceded music, the (blue note) lable;
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by joe logston
    for two channel . you need two subs with two satelites, with speaker level inputs...

Why are two subs needed over one? The low frequencies are very non-directional and will not produce a stereo image, right?
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    I say get the LSi15's. They are intended to be stand alone 2ch speakers, and they do it very well. If you need a little extra bass then just turn up the bass a little on your pre-amp or receiver as I do. Using the 9's with the sub will save you a little bit of coin, but it has a lot of potential to be a setup/configuration nightmare as most double duty sub/sat systems do.

The 15's perform beautifuly for 2ch music, and the PSW-650 will give you all of the low end roar that you need for those 5.1 LFE tracks.

Other things to consider. Do you have kids? Pets? Anything that can knock over a heavy bookshelf speaker on a stand?

ATC also made another really good point. the LSi9 with stands and decent cables are the same price as some 15's. Why not just get those beautiful towers? :)

I don't have a biased opinion or anything. heh

/sarcasm
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2003
    Phuz and ATC,
    I've been itching to own the LSi9. It's such a good looking bookshelf that I initially think that it would be a great speaker to complete my 7.1 setup (sometimes this year) but now, I think it would be an overkill for rear speakers, and instead, may be getting them for my bedroom to replace my rm3000. How do you like your LSi9 on 2ch setup? (no, it is not a rhetorical question)? how would you compare them to the 15 in terms of details? I wish I could audition them somewhere (I bought the 15 solely based on pure faith of user reviews, and turned out one of the best decision I ever made). Thanks guys!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    No kids. No pets. No stands actually:

I have a whole-wall entertainment center. So either I will be using bookshelves on the current bookshelves, or I'll have to remove the bridge and spread the two side towers apart to make way for floor-standing speakers. I would therefore have limited range for placement of the floor-standing speakers (ie 5-7 feet apart OR 13+ feet apart). The bookshelves could be 8-12 feet apart.

Decent cables isn't a factor- they would be needed for both the LSi9 and LSi15. I already have the sub and cables for it.

Haven't found a spot for A/B comparison! Nobody local to buy and return to either. I'm looking at 4 LSi9 plus LSiC OR 2 LSi9, 2LSi15, plus LSiC. So eventually I'd have a great chance to audition 9 vs 15 (but too late!). I'd pick the 9 over FX for 5 channel music and since it would be easily upgraded to 7.1.

I'm planning a full HT LSi setup that should hopefully last years (probably 5.1 with ability to upgrade later) so cash isn't really a driving issue in picking between the 9 and 15.

Parting with the sub? Uh... depends where you are going with this idea. But I assume I'd still want it for HT even if I just used the LSi15 without a sub for 2 channel.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2003
    OK,
    This is personal judgement I would have to say.But asking an opnion needs to be accepted as such.
    I would and did go lsi15's over the lsi9's for alot of reasons.
    1)I feel the lsi15's present a clearer image.The Lsi9's seem to be slightly muddy in direct compare.These are not muddy sounding speakers on there own,but when directly compared to the 15's, they tend to not be as crystal clear.
    2)they play deeper.They hit harder.
    3)I enjoy owning a floorstanding speaker vs a bookshelf speaker on a stand.The cost of stands get you near the cost of the 15's,why not just own them.
    I decide all my speaker choices on sound quality alone,then everything else comes into play.Speaker choices can't be decided by online forums,friends,etc.....just you and your music.You will know which way is right for you and why.Need not be an expert to figure this one out.On your own I feel you'll do fine.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    OK,
    This is personal judgement I would have to say.But asking an opnion needs to be accepted as such.
    I would and did go lsi15's over the lsi9's for alot of reasons.
    1)I feel the lsi15's present a clearer image.The Lsi9's seem to be slightly muddy in direct compare.These are not muddy sounding speakers on there own,but when directly compared to the 15's, they tend to not be as crystal clear.
    2)they play deeper.They hit harder.
    3)I enjoy owning a floorstanding speaker vs a bookshelf speaker on a stand.The cost of stands get you near the cost of the 15's,why not just own them.
    I decide all my speaker choices on sound quality alone,then everything else comes into play.Speaker choices can't be decided by online forums,friends,etc.....just you and your music.You will know which way is right for you and why.Need not be an expert to figure this one out.On your own I feel you'll do fine.

Mantis,
    1. Are you comparing the 15 and 9 when both are playing full range (not what I'm looking at)? Aren't they extremely similar for the highs and mids?
    2. I surely see this for LSi15 vs LSi9. But are you comparing LSi15 vs LSi9 plus a subwoofer?
    3. no stand. the bookshelf speaker would be on a bookshelf- so that cost isn't an issue.
    3.5. No A/B comparison available... though that's obviously the best way. So theory and others' experiences are pretty important. Personally, I enjoy my PSW650 for music in my current system with bookshelves. But I also much preferred to run floor standers alone when I borrowed a pair for a few weeks last summer (but those were dual 8" with a huge front port, so not a fair comparison). I came into this forum heavily favoring the 15... but jmierzur really picked my brain until I could no longer decide.

Thanks.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    we've got more people making comments pro-15... but only 1 vote for the 15? is this just an error?

thanks
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Mantis is right. The LSi15's are clearer in the highs than the LSi9's. I don't know why since they are the same drivers, so I'm not going to speculate as to the reasoning. BTW, are you ordering them from an authorized or unauthorized retailer? If you are ordering authorized, let me know.
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited January 2003
    I liked the 9's with subs better than 15's. I am happy with my setup for the reasons that I have stated. That is my opinion.

With all your questions and polls, I would consider FINDING a place that you can audition these speakers. Make it a day trip if you have to. Plan on trying the combinations you mentioned and determine what is for you. This is the only way you will be able to determine YOUR setup.

Good luck.

PS My post were supposed to make you think of other possible combinations for a setup. It was not intended to confuse your thinking.

PPS Make sure any demo uses an amp of the same quality that you are considering purchasing.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by jmierzur
    PS My post were supposed to make you think of other possible combinations for a setup. It was not intended to confuse your thinking.

Didn't confuse. I was just blindly arguing the LSi9/sub out of the options list. It is clearly a viable option.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2003
    infinitiqx4,
    adding a sub needs to be a musical one.I see you own the psw650 correct?Thats a nice sounding woofer.Your question with a sub,I'd still go lsi15's.I heard them side by side all the times I demo'd them in the store.Both set to large and direct.SACD and cd's where my music source on a Pioneer Elite dv47a(which I also own).
    Like I said,this choice is your own.Not mine to make for you.I can only tell you what I think.There is no right or wrong way to go here.
    The lsi9's are a fine sounding bookshelf speaker.And yes they sound really close to the lsi15's,but not exactly the same.I feel the lsi15's have a clearer midrange and smoother sounding bass responce.I say things like muddy only in compare.There not a muddy sounding speaker but in direct compare,they are more on the muddy side.
    I think the lsi15's are the right choice for me.They sounded they way I was looking for.The lsi9's did not or I would have saved the money,the 9's would be mine.
    Again thats not to say there not for you.
    My vote is the lsi15's for alot of reasons.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    on my two psw-650, im running speaker leval connections to rt-7s , and thats why im thaiking of the lsi-9, the reason the 650s sound the best they ever did is because of amp ,pre-amp and da converter that is feeding them. i guess that some of you have a problem on the the 650s out put. i have no problem on that, my self its probably because of the 650s internal amp i thank that the 650 would perform better on speaker leval connetion with good amp, pre-amp.
    i wish that i could get a good demo on the lsi-15 the last was a nightmare.i demo 3 different times they all where lousey, all was set up wrong one place they had the right speaker playing to the left and so on.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • paulv
    paulv Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    Hi

I am new to this forum, but not new to audio, stereo, HT. Just bought a pair of LSi15s last Sat. After listening to them and the LSi9s, I decided on the 15s. They are a little cleaner in the mid-higher frequencies and the bass goes a little lower than the 9s.

Prior to this, I have been using a pair of Monitor 9s for the last 10 years or so.

The 15s are easily the smoothest speakers I have ever had. Using an NAD 320 integrated amp in the two channel setup. Couldn't ask for a better combination. Right now they are biwired with Nordost copper flat cables on audition.

The HT room still uses the Monitor 9s with a Polk center speaker driven with a Denon 5700 Receiver.

There is a review of the 15s and the 9s in the latest review of the "Absolute Sound" magazine. They had some really nice things to say about both. I believe that review is also available on the internet. It's worth reading

Paul V