Fun With Foam: SDA Driver Basket Insulation

Options
124»

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Obviously I do, or I would not have gone to the trouble to dampen my speaker baskets, nor would I have been advised to do so by a Polk engineer.

Here are some further thoughts for your consideration:

1. Do you think the sound waves coming from the front of a speaker can cause windows to rattle and furniture to vibrate? Have you ever heard such a phenomenon?

2. The acoustic waveform coming from the back of a speaker driver is equal and opposite to the waveform coming from the front of the driver. If the waveform coming from the front can rattle things ten feet or more from the driver, why wouldn't an equivalent waveform coming from the back of the driver rattle things a few inches from it?

3. Are you aware that manufacturers of quality loudspeakers expend considerable effort to dampen cabinet vibrations because such vibrations audibly color the sound coming from the front of the drivers? Are you aware that those cabinet vibrations are caused by sound waves inside the cabinet? If sound waves inside the cabinet can cause thick pieces of MDF to vibrate (ring), why wouldn't the same sound waves have enough energy to cause the relatively thin metal in the driver basket to vibrate (ring)?

As have we all.

DarqueKnight,

Your patience is phenomenal. No wonder your reviews and instructional posting are so good.

Again, thanks for all you have done to make the experience of SDAs so much better for so many folks. So, far, as you recommended, the only mod I have completed is on my SDA 1Cs. I installed the RDO194 tweeters as soon as I received them from Polk, and they made a remarkable improvement in the clarity and "realism" of the high frequency range -- e.g. Joshua Bell's "Voice of the Violin."

I'm in the process of putting Dynamat Xtreme on the drivers and PRS in my SRS 1.2s while I wait for Trey to complete mods on the crossovers.

Again, thanks. You are a great teacher!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• HollowState
    HollowState Posts: 12
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Doing the Dynamat mods this weekend while upgrading my crossovers on my original SDA SRS speakers to DarqueKnights recommendations. Can't thank everyone on this forum enough!
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I never get tired of looking at these modification posts.

And I always learn something new.

Bit by bit I will be upgrading all my Polks too.