Intermittent low output from front speaker

Options
Bham Dave
Bham Dave Posts: 1
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
Okay, so this is an issue that has been plaguing my RM5300 speakers for at least a year and a half. It's kind of complicated so stick with me...

One of the front speakers, although it varies which one, will suddenly drop its volume either to zero or to nearly inaudible, while the other front speaker (and the center, surrounds and sub) are all working fine. If I turn the volume on my receiver way up, I can get the affected speaker to "pop" back on, as if it does so by pushing more power through it. Then I can lower the volume back to normal levels and both speakers will function normally, for a time. The next day it will generally happen again. Then sometimes they work for weeks without this happening at all. I have switched the front speakers and it doesn't seem to be related to specific speakers, yet I took the receiver (a Technics SA-AX720) in for evaluation and was told that it was working fine.

I have the fronts wired from the receiver into the sub, then out from the sub into the speakers themselves. I have unplugged the wires and replugged them several times, checking polarity, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave
Post edited by Bham Dave on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

You didn't mention what source(s) you have, but let's say this is happening with any source. The problem is probably in the output stage of your receiver and as you've stated, is intermittent. Do you have a friend that will lend you a receiver to test this with? It could be something like a bad solder joint on a board or a faulty transistor. Intermittent problems are hard to fix unless it does it while being tested.
    While not recommended, you could try lifting the receiver 2 inches off the table or whatever it's on and drop it. Crazy as it sounds, sometimes it works. I fixed a Kenwood once by doing that, damn thing worked fine for the next 20 years.
    Let us know how this turns out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk