Temperature

Options
ftelang
ftelang Posts: 4
A very simple question. I have alot of separate components in a small wooden cabinet (glass doors in front, fiberboard back with a small hole for cable connections) upon which sits my TV (Polk MSDS1 home theater, Sony Digital Cable box, Sony DVD, Sony VCR, NAD CD player and Tape player) When I open the doors, its a bit warmer in there. Is that an issue?
Post edited by ftelang on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Odds are yes, it can be a big problem.

If i were you I would remove the glass door(s) and maybe even remove some of the backing.

Heat build up can reduce the life of your components quite a bit as well as reduce the overall performance.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree with phuz, heat is a problem. Try leaving the glass doors open when using your gear and remove all of the backing. Just remember to dust from time to time as that can be a problem too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    without a doubt,
    at least drill some holes in the back panel.Heat will kill your gear,amps are what go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have a similar setup. I have kids, so I cannot leave the doors in the front open, but I did remove most of the backing. I made sure that the opening in the backing was at least 2 inches higher then the equipment on top. I also installed a fan controlled by a thermostat. When the temperature inside the cabinet reaches about 87 degrees the fan will turn on. I have a vent from the fan that leads down to the floor so cooler air from the floor reaches the equipment area. I was concerned about dust from the floor being picked up and blown into the equipment area, so I put a filter on the vent. The fan has only come on a few times and that was during the hot days of summer.
  • botany
    botany Posts: 68
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like the idea of the fan, could you tell me were you bought it and what type of fan it is. How does it work AC or DC, and how is it hooked up?

Thanks

Botany
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ftelang, i have pretty much the same set-up you have with the entertainment center, it houses most of my components, some are just too big. when i put it together i did not even bother to put the flimsy backing on. it helps with air flow and it much easier to get at the back of stuff. i like to putter around a lot so that helps. took off the glass door too. i try and dust a couple of times a week. hope this helps

regards,
    nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I drilled about a dozen 1" holes at the bottom and top in back of my entertainment center to create air flow, warm air rises bringing in cool air at the bottom. Has worked well so far.
  • 19ram98
    19ram98 Posts: 18
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I bought a pc power supply and two case fans. I notice I have to dust off the receiver more often but I think its worth it. My Onkyo-800 tends to get pretty warm when driving my LSis.
  • schumach
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I am using a 4-inch fan. I purchased it at a local electronics store, do not get the one from radio shack it is too noisy. The thermostat I got from my dad who worked in the commercial refrigeration business, but you can get one at any HVAC supply store. I plugged it into a separate circuit then the rest of my gear so I would not get any humming. If you have any further questions please ask.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ftelang
    A very simple question. I have alot of separate components in a small wooden cabinet (glass doors in front, fiberboard back with a small hole for cable connections) upon which sits my TV (Polk MSDS1 home theater, Sony Digital Cable box, Sony DVD, Sony VCR, NAD CD player and Tape player) When I open the doors, its a bit warmer in there. Is that an issue?

if you are talking about slightly warmer - man forget about it, a few extra holes? maybe, but a fan, I would not.

I mean hell your TV get warm right, well so will the receiver when it is working, and it being in the cabinet will "warm" the air inside of it.

Now if you mean when I touch the rec. it is VERY warm or hot, then you have a problem.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    Options
    add a computer fan there cheap and easy to find get the one that you can plug in to the ac , and plug in swichable ac out on your receiver so wend you trun on the receiver it truns on the fan get the quit computer fan.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • schumach
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I do not recommend plugging into the receiver. The fan can create different frequencies and these noises can be passed on to the speakers.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I thinks its strange when someone ask a question and then the forum goes to town with it and the original guy never post on the thread again. :rolleyes: weird!!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LOL! My receiver is in a cabnet. I use two high powered fans on top of it when I have to shut the door. The only problem is they are highly noisy.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • joe logston
    edited January 2003
    Options
    come back to us ftelang, witch way do you like to go, do you like them all, or you think we are all crazy in here. some people do. dont be scared. we wont bite.
    welcome to the polk forum.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• joe logston
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i take that back i thank that russ bites
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Appears Russ did not even think this one was worth a nibble... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD